Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Library Song Limit

Solved!

Library Song Limit

Spotify staff-

I recently reached the 10,000 song limit in my library, which is a great disappointment.  As a loyal customer for over 3 years, I have thoroughly enjoyed your product, so much that I have shifted to using it as my main source of music collection.  There must be some way that you can enable "super users" to continue to file and organize their music over this arbitrary limit.  

There may not be many of us, but (and this should be obvious) those of us that actually reach this limit are your core constituents.  We are passionate about music and your product, and I can tell you that I have gotten at least 20 people to sign up to Spotify Premium over the past couple of years as I have raved about it.  I will continue to do so, with the caveat that Spotify just isn't yet ready to become a full-fledged music library of record for musical aficianados, much to my disappointment.

One more thought: You may find interest in the creation of some type of super user account that would allow you to charge SLIGHTLY more for those of us who desire or require a higher song limit (say, unlimited...) without having to alter the accounts of your millions of users.  Bottom line is that unlimited should mean unlimited, especially in this age of big data, but a 10,000 song cap with no alternative is absurd.

Thanks

271 Replies

Having multiple playlists means nothing. I want the ability to shuffle ALL
OF MY SONGS AT ONCE (like Apple Music does/can do).

@janssenmichaeld wrote:
Having multiple playlists means nothing. I want the ability to shuffle ALL
OF MY SONGS AT ONCE (like Apple Music does/can do).

I'm sure you do - but you aren't the person who said they moved from mp3's to streaming so they could easily manage playlists.

Truuuuuue. Apologies. 🙂

If each playlist  could have 10,000 songs we wouldn't have this discussion. 

You can shuffle all songs in your library. 

@Peter5nine wrote:

If each playlist  could have 10,000 songs we wouldn't have this discussion. 

Wrong. Each playlist can have 10,000 songs, and we are still having this discussion. This has been discussed multiple times before in this thread.

The reason we are having this discussion is because:

1. In the "Songs" playlist you can view by album, artist or song. In other playlists you can only view by song. So people put all their music in the "Songs" playlist, so that they can swipe through album covers, or artist names. Then they hit the limit. They don't want to move their music into separate playlists because they would lose the ability to view their collection by album or artist.
  2. Some people want to shuffle across their entire collection, and you can't do that across playlists.

If neither of those things is important to you, then you can use multiple playlists - and then your Spotify collection is essentially unlimited in size (as far as we know).

I routinely save albums and recently hit the limit. That's why I'm in this thread. From my almost 10,000 song library I can shuffle all songs. I don't really use playlists anymore. So my issue is with the 10,000 song limit in my library.

Just Stupid...

If they want me to clean my library, they could create a list like "songs you never listen to" or fix the problem with duplicates (often i have an identical track two times. if i delete one, both are gone...)

...but 10.000 is not enough space...

I agree completly with this. If you expect your paying customer base to add Spotify to their list of chores you can AT LEAST provide a list of albums/artists/songs that can be sorted by most played to least played. Instead we get to go through our entire music collection and do this manually one-by-one by hand?

te·di·ous /ˈtēdēəs/ adjective
too long, slow, or dull: tiresome or monotonous.
"a tedious journey"
synonyms: boring, dull, monotonous, repetitive,
          unrelieved, unvaried, uneventful

Yep, being able to see what has been most played or recently played like iTunes could would be a great addition

I made most of playlists in iTunes by looking at what a) I listened to most, b) recent listens (for newer tracks/albums) and c) by star rating (if I had a new favourite song/artist/album that I had given specific 5 star ratings)

I got most of my exact playlists moved over to spotify with about an 80-90% success rate in terms of missing songs and YES managing spotify is much easier and quicker than iTunes (no need to constantly plug my device in and synce) but the trade off is not being able to accurately track plays, ratings etc.

Just adding my weight to this. I have hit the 10,000 song limit.

It is incredibly easy to do so if you listen to a diverse array of artists and rely on your own motivation to discover music rather than curated playlists.

Each week I check the release radar, each week I add albums. I hit the limit when trying to add a 40 album DJ mix to my catalogue. In electronic music, there is a huuuuuuge wealth of releases and it is unrelenting. So it isn't too difficult to add items like this week on week.

The catalogue acts as memory, it organises. From these, you make your playlists from elements in your catalogue. Now I've hit my limit, I've pretty much stopped exploring new music as I have no way to catalogue it. I'm basically looking at alternative platforms now and have started a six month trial of Apple music, simply so I can continue having an experience with music.

I can only lol at this. First I got dissapointed when I realized that the shuffle actualy didn't shuffle. A well known bug which, thank god, can be repaired by sorting songs by name. Well, that's a fail but I can live with that.

But now, I've been spending 3 hours by putting my music library saved in my PC into Spotify. Well, I can also live with the fact that lots of albums are not there. But how the f**k is that possible that I reached the limit when I was at letter P?! Poor Powerwolf 😞 My Q - Z music doesn't deserve to be in my Spotify library? What should I do now? Some Sophies' choices to kick my less favourite albums?

No, I'm seriously **bleep** off. I could have saved 3 hours of my live and go sleep what should be probably more beneficial compared to putting 70 % of my library to Spotify.

Just checked my music folder in PC. It consists of 15 555 songs. Considering that approximately 20 % albums are not there, still 10k limit is not enough.

Since 2014 when first people started compaining, did you even improve your hardware and systems? How is that possible that during the four years, it's still impossible for you to cancel the **bleep** limit or at least double it or something like that. Why?!

The whole point of having a library on Spotify or other streaming service is to go beyond the inconvenience of the physical format. It's a great tool to discover...what am i supposed to do now ? Delete some little gems you found along the way because someone at spotify decided 10000 was the limit ? The 1% that probably use Spotify the most intensively, helping these little algorythms get that ? Really ? I'll check other services to see if there is this kind of limitation, if not I will migrate and will try to convince as many music lovers as i can to do the same.

I’ve gone tidal and just cancelled Spotify yesterday, migrated all the playlists I had using soundizz. Three years of tumbleweeds on this issue from Spotify is bye bye. Tidal now has a family plan too and higher quality streams.

Agreed, a frustrating obstacle, needless from my point of view. 

Could it be tied to their licensing deals?

Apple Music has 10x that. Most likely my next destination. I made it work without smart playlists and subpar iOS integration (this one is on Apple), but this won’t do for me. 

I agree, Apple Music increased its limit to 100,000 in 2015. It's laughable that spotify hasn't done so four years later. You said it best: Unlimited means unlimited.

Spotify get**bleep** together an remove this ridiculously low limit.

Now I have to have a million scattered playlists, thanks a lot Spotify! Or should I shout out to the lazy developers that dont want to re-code the software? Or maybe its the head honcho's in charge that are too cheap and dont want to "fix what ain't broke" because they honestly don't care about their customers.

I haven't used the library feature before, but this morning decided to add my physical CD collection to spotify, and hit that limit after 2h of working on that... this is ridiculous...

Any update on this yet? It's been years now, and it's still clearly disappointing and annoying a lot of people.

This one thing ruined Spotify for me - it's made it a real hassle when I find a new song or album I like, as I know that I'll have to delete some of my library to make room for it... And I'll have to continue doing this each time I find something.

Surely by now this must be on the Spotify roadmap?!

I’ll bet that if Daniel Ek, the CEO of Spotify, knew about this, he’d have the library raised to 50,000 overnight. 

Suggested posts