Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Linked account and track history / recommendations

Linked account and track history / recommendations

I recently got a Google Home, but this question or request could be applied to an Amazon Echo or other similar device. I enjoy having my own music history because it is used for recommendations, like the "Discover Weekly" playlist that is generated from your listening history.

With a Google Home, however, my kids and friends who are over play all kinds of music, some I dislike, and that ruins my "Discover Weekly" or other recommendations within Spotify. I'd love it if there were an option to not count music played via Google Home towards these recommendations and playlists.

Netflix had a similar problem years ago before they added user profiles within accounts. That would be another solution. The linked account on Google Home could be its own profile that wouldn't pollute my profile that I use on my phone or computer.

4 Replies

Hi @treborhudson!

Thanks for your feedback! We'll make sure to pass it on to the right team.

If you ever need us again, feel free to get back to us. 

Take care 🙂 

I had the same problem and it caused a lot of frustration! I eventually solved it. You'll need a spotify family account, or a way to access an additional spotify account.

1. Create a new gmail account

2. create a new spotify account (or choose an existing one that's not yours)

3. factory reset your home

4. set it up using the new gmail account

5. select the new spotify account as the default media service

6. from then on, all spotify requests on the Home will collect on that new account, not yours. after a few weeks your discover weekly will recover.

7. you can add your actual account to the Home as well. the default will stay with the account that set it up. Note, if you set up Voice Match, you will *occasionally* get some false matches as yourself but it will be mostly fine.

Hey there @treborhudson

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

As @oz041 mentioned, it's always a good idea to create a Premium Family plan in case multiple family members listen to music on the same device or Spotify-account. You can read more about this subscription type here

You can also post an idea on the Community. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app, and you can read more about how ideas work here.

If you're curious, you can read more about how the idea submission process works by clicking here. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented 🙂

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

This would be the answer, BUT you wouldn't be able to use your Spotify Connect with your devices, as they would be attached to a different account. So it's not the optimal solution for me

Spotify should probably know that this kind of devices would have a shared usage and should at least give you the chance to prevent track history to mess with your personal preferences. I'm constantly being bombed with child songs, as my little kid is always using his Echo device to listen to his favorite songs

Suggested posts