Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Login from China

Login from China

Hi all, I'm in a bit of a pickle: I have a Spotify premium account which is linked to my facebook account, so it uses my facebook login to login to the app. I am currently in China, where Facebook is blocked. When I try to login to Spotify, it redirects to the facebook login, which won't load because of the block. Is there a way to still login to the app and listen to my music? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks! Julian

8 Replies

Hey @Julian_China,

Thanks for posting to the community! I've just got a few questions to help me understand your situation:

• Which country are you originally from?
  • What are your current country settings?
  • If you've tried logging in normally with an email and password?
  • How long you've been in China?
  • If you're moving permenantly to China, or just on holidays etc?

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim, 

Thanks for your reply. Please find my answers below: 

I have been in China for less than a week and will be here for the coming months at least. My current country is set to The Netherlands, where I resided when I set up my account. The account is linked to my facebook-profile, so I am not able to login with an e-mail password combination..?

Hope this helps and you have a solution.

Julian

Thanks for getting back to me @Julian_China!

With certain accounts (I don't remember the criteria), you can use your Facebook Username and Password to login to a linked Spotify Account. If you wouldn't mind just trying that, and seeing if you can login, that'd be good 🙂

Let me know how that goes!
Tim

Thanks, Tim. I tried it and unfortunately it did not work. 

Julian

Hey @Julian_China,

This situation is frustrating, currently the only way I can think of to access the Facebook page is to try and use a VPN that goes through the Netherlands, once logged in (if it works) try and set an email and password. I'm not sure how well this will work, but it is worth a shot!

Hopefully you can get back to your Spotify jamming again soon!

Best,

Jordan 

@Julian_China

Follow this to get a device password:

1. Go to Facebook settings (through a VPN like @CryticalAce rightfully suggested).
  2. Select Security and Login.
  3. Select Use two-factor authentication.
  4. Select App Passwords
  5. Click Generate
  6. Click Generate App Passwords.
  7. If needed, enter your current Facebook password and click Submit.
  8. Enter Spotify, and Facebook will automatically generate a password for you.

You should use it, with your Facebook email address as username, to log into Spotify directly on any device.

If that doesn't do it, I'd suggest to create a new account with a different email address from the one you use for Facebook. That will give you a Spotify username and password, independent of any Facebook account.

Once you have this new account, fill out the contact form, and someone from Spotify will be happy to help you migrate your Premium privileges, library, playlists, friends, etc. to this new account.

Once done, if you want to, you can link this new account to your Facebook again, but now you won't have to rely in the Facebook login process, since you'll have your very own Spotify username.

Hope it helps. 🙂
osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@Osornios and @@ChemicalRageYT

Thank you for your suggestions, really appreciate your help on this. I just tried the Create Password Option through Facebook on a VPN (desktop). Facebook has generated a password, but now I am lost with regard to the next step, i.e. what usename do I use this password with? My Facebook-email address does not seem to work and neither does my Facebook name. Would be super grateful (again) to hear your suggestions. 

Apart from creating the new account, I think another option might be a VPN for my phone (which I currently do not have). Might try one of those options, if the solution above doesn't get me anywhere. 

By the way, do I understand correctly you are volunteers (as in not paid by Spotify to do this)? Because that makes you work even more awesome.

Also, this bug is super frustrating and unnecessary, I would think creating the option for a non-Facebook login on Spotify would make a lot of sense, or at least offer the option to switch! (Generally, I find Spotify's forced Facebook integration really annoying and 'invasive'). Anyway, as volunteers, I guess you are not the people to vent this frustration too...

Julian

@Julian_China

It's the same email address you use to login normally to Facebook. If it didn't work, the best way to go is to to create a new account with a different email address, which will give you a Spotify username and password. It's a one time thing, and you'll be good to go. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts