Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Lost all my songs Spotify deactivates your Account instead of switching to Free if payment fails

Lost all my songs Spotify deactivates your Account instead of switching to Free if payment fails

This is pretty disgusting. After years of being a paying Premium customer with occasional few month long breaks usually after a payment failed due to insufficent balance just as now, it now doesn't switch to Spotify Free anymore but instead deactivates your account entirely meaning you can't trust Spotify as your music library.

This didn't used to be like this. What happened??!

3 Replies

Hey @milleniym, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I'm very sorry to hear this happened to you. Normally, when your payment has failed, Spotify will attempt to charge the card a few times, and then will switch your account to the Free version. In this case, I'd recommend checking out this page for more information on disabled accounts.

Have a great day!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for your reply. I've contacted Support already and can only hope to get my years of collected songs back.

The thing is I have had charges fail with this exact payment method before, and previously it never resulted in a ban or deactivation so I'm sure this is a change they made. I never did any chargebacks.

They also used to send multiple warning E-Mails for days and weeks saying payment failed before your account got switched to Free, now nothing of that sort.

Will see what Support says.

Hey @milleniym

Thanks for the information. No worries, Spotify Support will take a look at your issue and will do their best to assist you. You can also explain all of this to them so they have some more detail to work with.

Have a great day! 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts