Plan

Premium Family

Country

Germany

Device

Huawei P10 lite and PC

Operating System

Android 8.0 and Windows

Since some time, I see lots of music in "Heavy Rotation" amd "Recently" that I never listened to. Spotify startet on my phone with music I don't know and don't want to hear. I had to take the right for notifications away from the app (which is uncovenient because I dont't see playing tracks in my status anymore).

My stereo at home (connected via Spotify Connect) started to play unknown music!

What's this?

6 Replies

The same is happening to me.

Sounds unlikley.

is it possible that somone else is using your account?

try logging in and out of your spotify in order to plug out any unwanted visitors, then give it a week or two to adjust to your original taste.

I don't know (of course, otherwise I wouldn't have asked). Of course  I logged off and on again.

I use Spotify for years, if it should be necessary to "adjust it to my taste" that would be a serious malfunction.

I assume that it has somethings to do with "Family" and some weird malfunction of their algorithms. Family members did hear music of that kind (but not the titles in question!) sometimes and that seems to be mixed up. 

Strange and unpleasant anyway.

Your data will have been compromised. Spotify seem to be ignoring a significant data loss and security issue.

I have found my Spotify username, password and subscription details on a hacking forum in plain text. The only reason I figured it out was because someone kept changing my music while I was listening to it. 

Spotify seem to be trying to limit the data exposure when this happens than fix the issue properly.

Google your email address and you might find where the compromise happened. A lot of forums restrict access to logged in users so if you don't find it don't don't assume it hasn't happened.

Hey @KettleBlack.

Thanks for getting in touch!

If you think that someone has gained access to your account, go to this page and follow the steps. Our friends at support will be sure to recover your account.

We can assure you that our platform and user records are totally secure. Account takeovers usually happen because of a breach on another service. If you use the same password for several services, they all have the potential to be compromised if one has a security breach.

We always apply rigorous security practices to protect your information, but check out how to protect your Spotify account for extra measures you can take.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

I was asked via mail (automatically, I assume), whether I would mark this as "solved". I will not.

I had a chat with the spotify service and they were friendly - but honestly, I don't think that they really helped.

I was of course asked, whether my account was corrupted, but the service admitted that there were no signs for this. Password was changed.

But: The service didn't want to see a screenshot of the suspicious tracks / playlists ("I have seen many taken-over accounts") and it asked questions about my spotify connect function, that didn't match the technical reality. "Everybody in a family account must connect to a device on it's own account" - but neither the Spotify app nor the Onkyo app even asks for credentials to connect.

Meanwhile I noticed, that I have tracks in "Heavy Rotation" that  I played indeed - one time a couple of weeks ago! 

I think there are algorithms problems, app problems (I have lots of connectivity issues also) plus people who manage to get tracks / playlists to get to places where they don't belong. 

Suggested posts