Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

MY PASSWORD IS BEING DISPLAYED AS USERNAME

MY PASSWORD IS BEING DISPLAYED AS USERNAME

Plan

Premium

Country

Philippines

Device

Galaxy Note 9, PC

Operating System

Android, Win 8.1

My Question or Issue

It's bad enough that Spotify does not allow us to change Usernames but to display my password as the Username that can be viewed by the public?

This is a serious security issue that warrants a lawsuit if not resolved. It's a good thing that I'm not using my go to patterns for password creation but I still had to change it just to protect myself from being hacked. I even tried to link it to my FB account in hopes of changing the Username to no avail.

What's the use of the random generated Username/ID if you're not gonna use it and display peoples passwords instead?

5 Replies

Hey @user-removed, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I'd recommend getting in touch with Spotify Customer Support. From there, one of the members will take a look at this and do their best to help you.

Have a great day 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

You might have entered your password under the *What should we call you" box where your display name must be set. 

Best solution is get in touch with chat or email support to start a new account with your preferred display name and transfer your stuff over. 

I can confirm: I have the exact same problem, and no, I didn't enter the password in the "how should we call you" box by mistake. It seems like spotify has some issue with that problem, there are a few posts in the forum reporting that problem.

The Question is, how to change the username easy without quit the user?

Hi there @user-removed,

Thanks for reaching out!  

By what you said it seems you have created your account through Spotify and not with Facebook.

This means that you can link your Spotify account with Facebook so that your Facebook name can show instead of your username. For this to be successful, you should make sure that Process my Facebook Data in your privacy settings is activated. 

The second option would be to:

1. Cancel your subscription (if you have Premium).

*Note: If you have activated Premium Student, you should reach out to support so they can transfer your student discount from the old to the new account.

2. Create a new account.

3. Transfer your playlists to the new account.

4. Close your old account. 

5. Subscribe to Premium on the new account.

Hope this sheds light on the subject, keep us posted!

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Thanks for your quick response,

no, I have no facebook account and I won't create one, just to change my username on spotify.

I'm a member of an Premium-Family account. So if I understand you correctly, I have to quit that account and create a new one. Since there are no family accounts left, I first have to quit to create a new one, ain't I right? So I'm not sure how to transfer all the playlists and saved Albums on my devices.

So I guess I stick to my password-username.

But what I wanted to point out: I'm 100% sure that I didn't entered my password in the "how should we call you" field, like some other users as you can read in several forums.

Suggested posts