Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Moved country and now can't use spotify?

Solved!

Moved country and now can't use spotify?

I moved from UK to Sweden, and I when I log in to spotify it goes offlne and tells me to update my account because it does not match my location. When I try to change my location to Sweden it wont let me without entering card details..... I can't change country without paying!? WHAT?!

Very unhappy about this.

35 Replies

If you have a free account, just change your country in your account profile to U.K.

@choccydog wrote:

I set up account in Spain. Now back in U.K., it says I have to upgrade to premium. Confused as some posts say it is still free, others say I will be charged every month whether I use it in Spain or U.K. 

The answer that I have just been given doesn't work. There are no links on the screen as mentioned and I just keep going round in circles. Either you pay or you don't. It's a simple question.

@choccydog wrote:

The answer that I have just been given doesn't work. There are no links on the screen as mentioned and I just keep going round in circles. Either you pay or you don't. It's a simple question.

Spotify is free to use in both UK and Spain, but be aware Spotify free does have additional restrictions once your account has been registered for 6 months or more, the main one being a maximum monthly playback time of 10 hours (2.5 hours per week). Full details about those restrictions are here and you will see an error message telling you your time limit has expired if you use up all of your free time. 

If you are getting Error 408 (incorrect country), then it is a related country issue as Joe posted above. There is more help about changing your country here

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi

I am a premium user and have moved to Brunei for one year. Brunei does not have Spotify. As a premium user from NL can I still access Spotify from Brunei, or will I only be able to access it for the first 14 days, and then can only reaccess it if I return to NL?

Thank you!

Hariom

Marked as solution

As long as your subscription remains valid whilst you are away, and you have downloaded the Spotify app before you go you can use Spotify abroad for as long as you like with premium @hariomm .

Peter

Great, thanks so much Peter!!

So what you're say, if "I" am in Ecuador and can't get the free Spotify, I can upgrade to premium and I "will get" it in Ecuador and a charge will appear on my card. But, I 'will" then get signed on, is that correct?

@Beadwindow -- we launched in Ecuador last month so you'll be able to use Spotify for free from there for as long as you like! But, yep, if your account is Premium you can use Spotify as normal from any country in the world, whether we've launched there or not.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

@Sam wrote:
Hi,

Don't worry, you don't need to pay. The card details are entered to verify the country you're in, so people don't abuse the system.

Once your details are entered, you'll be able to change your country.

Are you sure? I just did that and indeed needed to pay at least for the initial month. It is NOT possible to change country without paying at least one months premium fee. How do I redeem that months pay since I only wanted to change country and use the free version? 

@wdwnl - If you get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form they will be able to get this sorted out for you. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

I am a US citizen studying abroad in Ecuador...I thought Spotify was launched here, but even though it says to update my profile, and I did change the country, it continues to tell me to update it or buy premium.  Why is this happening?  

I love Spotify, but I'm disappointed that it's just as useless as Pandora here. 😞

Spotify is available in Ecuador, is your country set correctly on this page?
https://www.spotify.com/account/profile/

It is also worth checking your current IP address locates to the correct country here:
http://www.maxmind.com/en/locate_my_ip

Peter

Yes, as I said, the country on the profile says Ecuador (and I'm unable to change it) because my IP address is from Ecuador...if only it were that simple, but I still get the same message upon signing in to Spotify-change your profile or upgrade.  How can I change it when it has already been changed to the correct location??

Weird, could you try re-installing the app?

http://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

Peter

I just moved back from Spain, I was logging in through Facebook and now I can't login at all. As soon as I click on 'login with Facebook' a new window opens and then immediately closes. Can anybody help? 

I moved UAE from Turkey, I can not chanhe my country from Spotify profile page, only option seen as Turkey.. what can I do to change this?

Suggested posts