Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Moving from Family to Premium

Solved!

Moving from Family to Premium

I've been using Spotify as a family member subscription for years, and i want to change to Premium. Is there an easy way to do this that doesn't involve losing my libraries and playlists? 

Thanks 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @jc505uk and welcome to the Community! 🙂
If you are the plan owner, you would need to cancel, revert to free and then resubscribe with a solo Premium account (You can use your same email or Facebook login).

If you are under someone else's plan, you will need to request they remove you - which will then allow you to subscribe to Premium with the same user on your own.

This should retain your library + playlists once you activate your own Premium account.
You can find Spotify's full Family FAQ here and I have copied over the most relevant info for you. Have an AMAZING day and enjoy your music! 😄

Cancel a Premium for Family plan

If you're the owner of a Premium for Family plan, you can cancel any time. All members of your Premium for Family plan (including you) will revert back to the free, ad-supported service at the end of your current billing cycle.

Note: You can choose to downgrade to standard Premium on your subscription page, meaning all members will revert to the free, ad-supported service except for you. You will be charged the standard Premium rate at your next billing date.

Leave a Premium for Family plan

If you're a member of a Premium for Family plan, and want to leave, you need to ask the plan owner to remove you.

Note: You can only switch from one Premium for Family plan to another once every 12 months. If you hit this yearly limit, you're not able to switch to another Premium for Family plan at this time.

What happens if I already have an account?

Each member of a Premium for Family plan has their own personal account - so you can use your existing account. All of your account details will remain the same, including any saved music, playlists, and followers.

If you’re already subscribed to Premium when accepting an invite, all subsequent payments on your account are made by the plan owner.

Note: If you subscribed to Premium through another company (e.g. your mobile/broadband provider or iTunes), you need to cancel your subscription with them before starting or joining a Family plan.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @jc505uk and welcome to the Community! 🙂
If you are the plan owner, you would need to cancel, revert to free and then resubscribe with a solo Premium account (You can use your same email or Facebook login).

If you are under someone else's plan, you will need to request they remove you - which will then allow you to subscribe to Premium with the same user on your own.

This should retain your library + playlists once you activate your own Premium account.
You can find Spotify's full Family FAQ here and I have copied over the most relevant info for you. Have an AMAZING day and enjoy your music! 😄

Cancel a Premium for Family plan

If you're the owner of a Premium for Family plan, you can cancel any time. All members of your Premium for Family plan (including you) will revert back to the free, ad-supported service at the end of your current billing cycle.

Note: You can choose to downgrade to standard Premium on your subscription page, meaning all members will revert to the free, ad-supported service except for you. You will be charged the standard Premium rate at your next billing date.

Leave a Premium for Family plan

If you're a member of a Premium for Family plan, and want to leave, you need to ask the plan owner to remove you.

Note: You can only switch from one Premium for Family plan to another once every 12 months. If you hit this yearly limit, you're not able to switch to another Premium for Family plan at this time.

What happens if I already have an account?

Each member of a Premium for Family plan has their own personal account - so you can use your existing account. All of your account details will remain the same, including any saved music, playlists, and followers.

If you’re already subscribed to Premium when accepting an invite, all subsequent payments on your account are made by the plan owner.

Note: If you subscribed to Premium through another company (e.g. your mobile/broadband provider or iTunes), you need to cancel your subscription with them before starting or joining a Family plan.

Awesome, thank you 

Suggested posts