Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Multiple Fake Accounts on my Email Domain

Multiple Fake Accounts on my Email Domain

I have a personal email domain, e.g. @domain.com, so email sent to (anything)@domain.com gets delivered to me.  Over the last 3 days I've had more than 50 emails sent to (random number)@domain.com from Spotify asking me to authenticate my email address for different new Spotify account sign-ups and more are still arriving today.

Why is someone doing this?  They don't have access to my email so they can't authenticate.  I'd assumed that this would mean that they couldn't actually use the Spotify account until the email address was authenticated (otherwise, what's the point of the authentication process?), but the test account I just set up myself seems to let me fully use Spotify without authenticating.  I can only assume someone's setting up these fake accounts to boost the listen counts for certain songs, but if this is the case I don't understand why Spotify make this so easy to do when all they need to do us not allow any use without authentication.  Or are all users good stats for Spotify, whether they're real or fake?

2 Replies

Hey there @NeilJonesOnline,

Thanks for reaching out. Don't worry we're here to help 🙂

We recommend that you contact our Customer Support team. The necessary steps are listed on this page under Another account is using my email address. Our colleagues will take a closer look at the accounts backstage and find a suitable solution for you.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any further questions.

Have a great day! 

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I like many users am constantly and repeatedly having my account hacked. Spotify do not seem to care and it is obvious that their systems are weak and do NOT comply with data protection laws. I therefore please ask all users affected to log a complaint with the ICO (Information Commissioner’s Office) - see website ico.org.uk . If enough of us complain the ICO (i.e. government) will hopefully take action, and force Spotify to improve and obey the law, and protect our data.

Suggested posts