Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Multiple listening profiles?

Solved!

Multiple listening profiles?

I have a premium account, USA.

Is there a way to have multiple listening profiles with one premium account, or something similar? I listen to trance music while I'm working, but only because it doesn't distract me. I have no interest in listening to that genre elsewhere. But because I listen to it half the time, half my suggested songs and daily mixes are trance, which I definitely do not want.

Alternately, perhaps some mechanism to turn on/off capturing what I'm listening to for recommendation purposes?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @j_bo

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

If you listen to music that you don't want to affect your recommendations, you can turn on Private Session

For more details on that, check this support article

If you want to use multiple accounts under one subscription, you can check out Premium Family as @Lee_cryan suggested.  

I hope you'll find this helpful!

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Unfortunately, you can only have one account on a premium subscription. However over time as you listen to different types of music Spotify will curate different playlists for you. Each playlist will contain music that is similar depending on your listening habits.  

If you really wanted separate accounts you could use a family plan to have multiple accounts paid for under one subscription. 

Marked as solution

Hi @j_bo

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

If you listen to music that you don't want to affect your recommendations, you can turn on Private Session

For more details on that, check this support article

If you want to use multiple accounts under one subscription, you can check out Premium Family as @Lee_cryan suggested.  

I hope you'll find this helpful!

Please copy Netflix. I would also like to have multiple profiles. If one of your competitors implements this feature then I cancel my Spotify subscription...

I wouldn't consider this issue "solved".

I want curation / daily mixes for both types of listening I do, and not mixed. I don't want to have to pay for a family plan AND login/logout whenever I want to switch listening profiles. Both "solutions" provided are workarounds that don't really solve the issue.

1) Private Session: only curates for one listening profile and not the other. Plus I have to remember to toggle private every time I get on for work. Not ideal for multiple reasons.

2) Family plan: silly to make a regular premium user pay extra for this feature when they are still just one listener. Also, switching accounts isn't easy, so there's an extra login/logout step. Also not ideal for multiple reasons.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and feedback in this thread.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

However, there's currently an idea - [Account] Quickly switch between saved Accounts. You can leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the idea for any updates regarding this. A Not Right Now status comes after the idea has reached the correct teams and for transparency we've put that status. It's not impossible to get it in the future, but we cannot make any promises

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

My 2 cents on this issue:

I sometimes have my grandson in the car and he likes to hear things like Davy Crockett and Disney-type tunes. Unfortunately they then become part of my playlist. I would really like to have a separate profile for this and do not think I should have to pay for a "family plan" when I'm the only user. 

Why not offer multiple profiles? The "private listening" answer is a workaround and not safe to do all that switching while driving.

If Spotify is concerned about losing family plan memberships, then make multiple profiles dependent on device, or make it so only one person can be signed in at a time, that is, only one profile at a time. 

Hi there @atthecshore,

Thank you for your reply and feedback in this thread.

We understand that things can feel frustrating when things don't work as you'd like them to. Rest assured that we're always trying to improve as we always strive to improve our features.

For now we suggest that you head over to the idea that's been provided above.

On another note, have you heard of Premium Duo? You can read more about it here.

Have a great continued weekend!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Jeremy - multiple accounts is not the solution to this problem. What you’re recommending falls short of the feature we’re requesting.

I would also love to have multiple profiles under one account.  Ideally I would have a "Work from home" profile (more focused instrumental music), a "Regular" profile (what I listen to when I'm not working) and a "Seasonal" profile (for Christmas music).  I would like curated picks for all of these listening profiles but not mixed together.  Like other users have said, when I'm not working, I don't want to listen to the music I listen to when I'm trying to focus. 

In December I listen to Christmas music non stop but once Christmas is over, I don't want to hear any Christmas music.  However, Spotify will continue to suggest it long after Christmas is over.  Having profiles to toggle between depending on the time of the year, time of the day would be amazing.  Hulu allows for multiple profiles and is close in price to Spotify 🙂 

100%! Couldn't agree more.

There is a competitor for that, it's called Deezer. They have less variety of music, but I can have different profiles. You don’t need to log out to change your profile. I’ve just paid for the family subscription in Spotify, but I’m going to cancel it. That feature is too important for me.

+++ for separate profiles within an account!

Separate profiles would suit me well too. My wrapped playlist is full of work/focus synthwave which I don't love when I'm not working lol.

Private sessions don't really work since each time I start Spotify it forgets that I was in a private session last time, and I certainly cant remember to set it each time.

My wife and I are on premium Duo so there's no space for an additional account.

Thanks

Hey @phiImassie,

Thank you for joining the conversation.

We appreciate your feedback regarding this function. However, a similar idea about multiple profiles on a single account has already been suggested here - to show your support, feel free to add your vote to it by hitting the "Thumbs up" button! Keep in mind that its Status doesn't mean it won't be implemented, as Spotify will check it out if it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

If you think your idea should be considered separate, feel free to submit it again highlighting how your idea is distinct from the existing one.

If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you.

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello Jeremy, 

Here's how the user story should be presented from a product management perspective. It could easily be argued that Spotify users do have different different music / interests between work and personal, and do not want them to be mixed. Some users listen to pod casts while they work, and others listen to music with no words at all. The personal listening sessions would be something completely different that the end user would prefer not be associated as a separation between work and home life. 

User Story

• As a Spotify User with different music preferences between work & personal life,
  • I would like to be able to navigate to a separate section / area to listen to music (Suggestion: Work session)
  • So, my music preferences for work (or something else), does not impact my music preferences presented to me for personal listening 
    • The music listened to during the work session would not impact the suggested playlist for personal
    • The music listened to during the personal session would not impact the suggested playlist for work

Acceptance Criteria

(Something similar to the above)

The link you provided takes me to an access denied page. Is there a duplicate request to this one that we can upvote?

Hi @trex006,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

That idea is no longer active, but there's a new idea for this feature to be implemented here - feel free to add your vote to it!

The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. Check out this FAQ to learn more about it. 

Hope this clears things up. If you need a hand with anything else, we're always a post away!

Susan_GPModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I wanted to vote but get access denied on the updated link.

My use case is listening to:

• White noise when I sleep
  • Trance/focus when I'm working
  • Background music for home Sonos 
  • Podcasts 
  • Music that is nothing like any of the above. 

My home and recommendations are getting polluted. 

I do have multiple accounts but that doesn't work for the phone app, which is the primary control device. 

Hi @Michail71!

The link should now be working so feel free to check out the idea and show your support by giving it a thumbs up!

Something else you might find useful is excluding certain playlists from your taste profile. That way, listening to them won't affect the algorithm and your feature recommendations.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Here's my 2 cents since I'm also getting "access denied" on all the links.

Would love to have a separate profile, that has playlists I want to share to a certain group of people (e.g. work colleagues), so that I can keep my personal profile, with playlists that I share with a different group (e.g. friends & family), separate.

It seems currently my only option would be to create an entirely NEW account (which of course would not have premium so useless to me) and copy over my playlists and share that separate account profile. Which would mean that every time I want to update those playlists I would have to:

• log out of my current account
  • update the playlist
  • log back out
  • log back in to my main account

There's the collaborator feature now so I wouldn't have to switch accounts, but afaik the list of collaborators is still public. So those profiles would still be visibly linked.

Suggested posts