Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music stops playing intermittently

Music stops playing intermittently

I've had spotify premium for a long time. However in the past few months I've been suffering from a very annoying issue. Every couple of songs the playback stops at the end of the song, however the play button itself does not change.

The only way to resume playback is to go back to a playlist and select a song. 

Clicking the play/next/previous button has no effect. This issue occurs on any kind of playlist: my custom playlists, albums, etc. I use spotify on different systems and operating systems (windows, macOS, different windows) and the issue occurs on all of them. It happens for local play and also for remote play. Any combination of shuffle/repeat has no effect on this issue.

3 Replies

Hey @JorisW, welcome to the Spotify Community!

Could you let us know what device, operating system and Spotify version you're using? Also, do you remember if this started happening after a specific update or event? Maybe reinstalling the app with the steps here could help you with this.

Have a nice day 🙂

Thank you for the reply!

I am not sure at which version this started happening. At first I thought it was just a fluke but it has been going on for months.

One thing that might be related is that my spotify account used to be part of the internet package from my internet provider (kpn.nl), I moved to a different internet provider and my spotify account became a free account, at which point I started paying for the premium subscription myself. I think the issue started occuring after this, however I am not 100% sure of this.

This issue occurs on all my devices:

Device 0:

• Windows 10 Pro 1803 x64 / Intel i7-3770 / 32GiB ram
  • Steinberg UR44 USB Audio Interface using Genelec Studio Monitors
  • Spotify 1.0.80.474.gef6b503e (not from the windows app store)
  • Uninstalling (using "Apps and Features"), deleting the local cache and downloading & installing spotify again... did not resolve the issue.

Device 1:

• MacBook Pro Retina 15" Mid 2015
  • Speakers / Headphones using standard 3.5mm jack
  • macOS High Sierra 10.13.4
  • Spotify 1.0.80.474.gef6b503e (not from the apple app store)
  • Removing "/Applications/Spotify.app", removing "~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.client", removing "~/Library/Application Support/Spotify" and downloading & installing spotify again... did not resolve the issue.

Device 2:

• iPhone 5c 32 bit
  • iOS 10.3.3
  • Headphones using standard 3.5mm jack
  • Spotify 8.4.51.696
  • I am not 100% sure if the issue occurs on this device. I last used this device to listen on spotify a few weeks ago and I could be remembering it wrong.
  • I have not tried reinstalling

Hey @JorisW,

Thanks for all the info! 

It sounds like there's been a slight hiccup with your registered offline devices. To solve this, could you log in at https://www.spotify.com/account/offline-devices/ and remove all registered devices with the Remove All Devices button?

You'll have to resync all of your tracks for offline listening, but it could solve your issue.

Let us know how it goes!

Suggested posts