Plan

Free

Country

Canada

Device

iPod Touch

Operating System

My Question or Issue

I can’t see or find my display name anywhere. I’ve googled where to find it and the answers all said that I would be able to see it on playlists and things like that, but on playlists I just see this big long string of numbers and letters. Is this normal? If not, how can I fix this? I’d also like to make it clear that I know that what I’m talking about is NOT my username. From what I’ve read on here, I believe that the string of numbers and letters is my username, and I know that I can’t change it, which I’m fine with. I’d still like to be able to see my display name though. Thank you very much for the help

3 Replies

Hi there @howshouldiknow,

thanks for posting !

If you've just become a new Spotify user, the string of numbers shown is a generated username provided for security reasons.

Furthermore, if you have initially created your account through Facebook and disconnected it recently, this may have effected your username as well.

You were able to choose a display name while going through your subscription steps under "how do you want us to call you?".

The name you provided in this section is what's shown to whoever looks for you on the app.

However, you can read more about changing usernames on this help page.

Let me know if you have any further questions 🙂

Thank you very much for responding! The issue is however is not one that I see a solution for in your response. I entered a display name when I created my account (not through Facebook), but it’s nowhere to be seen. I’ve shared songs and playlists and things with other friends to see if it was simply an issue on my device, but they also saw my username, and not my display name. Is there a fix for that that you know of? Thank you for your previous reply again! It was helpful for me in that it helped me narrow down the problem and figure out how to better articulate what was wrong, as well as letting me look for more answers and possible solutions, that I unfortunately did not find. Any further help would be greatly appreciated, but I will understand if you are unable to help!

Hi there @howshouldiknow,

Thanks for taking the time to explain exactly what happened! 

We are aware there are issues creating display names apart from the usernames that are now generated automatically. That's why we've created this Ongoing Issue where you can go and vote to show that you too are experiencing this. To do this, just click on +VOTE. Then you can also subscribe to make sure you're notified as soon as there are any updates on this.

Check out the Status Update under the Ongoing Issue for the available workarounds what can be done until this is fixed.

Have a wonderful day!

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts