Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My spotify keeps launching each time I start my computer

My spotify keeps launching each time I start my computer

I have windows 7 and every time I start my computer SPotify launches and takes a long time loading.  Today it made my computer crash 3 times in a row.  

I HAVE DISABLED SPOTIFY FROM LAUNCHING IN MY ACCOUNT.  I have set it so that it doesn't launch when my computer starts up but it keeps doing it.  Any suggestions on what to do?  I think the crashing has something to do with getting on the internet because the only other time it crashes like this (screen goes crazy, not the blue screen of death)  is when I'm using Chrome.  

I would appreciate some help. 

9 Replies

Hi deaconlyric.

What OS do you use? In Windows 8, you can disable certain applications by bringing up the task manager ("ctrl + shift + esc" keys at the same time). Click the "Autostart" tab and find Spotify, right-click it and press deactivate. I have added an image to illustrate this:

http://i.imgur.com/kmLbo62.png

Otherwise you are recommended to click Edit in the menu bar in Spotify, Preferences and then scroll down to "Open Spotify automatically after you log into the Computer" and make sure "Don't open automatically" is ticked. I have also added an image to illustrate what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/oObUS2u.png

Good luck!

wrox

Have you tried going to this directory:

C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

And making Sure Spotify.exe is not there? Might be a glitch.

Try a clean reinstall of Spotify and see if it works after it.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Liam also wrote a handy tutorial with a couple of things to try in it here.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi. I have the same issue. Windows 7 and for almost 2 months almost every day my computer crashes minimum 2 times a day max 5 times a day. My computer is new and this occured about 2 weeks after I installed Spotify. I have reinstalled Spotify countless times and I am very frustrated because I love Spotify. I have run scans on my computer, deleted different programs and believe that Spotify is the issue. Help would be extremely appreciated!

@AlliMcCat wrote:

Hi. I have the same issue. Windows 7 and for almost 2 months almost every day my computer crashes minimum 2 times a day max 5 times a day. My computer is new and this occured about 2 weeks after I installed Spotify. I have reinstalled Spotify countless times and I am very frustrated because I love Spotify. I have run scans on my computer, deleted different programs and believe that Spotify is the issue. Help would be extremely appreciated!

Hey 🙂 

When you say "crashes" do you mean blue screen or do you mean freezes? Also, does this happens when Spotify is loading/running/closing? 

Peter

Peter

I just had my first blue screen of the day. 😞 I have several occasions where Spotify acts like it is loading but I have to shut the program down because it says that it cannot be opened even though it is trying. I also have several occasions where Spotify acts like that it doesn't like me changing songs and it will freeze and shut down. I'd say a majority of the time that my computer will crash typically shut down because I am changing a song but sometimes I get lucky and only Spotify will crash. I mean, I usually have several tabs open on Google Chrome while I am on Spotify and last night I was on Skype and I wasn't listening to Spotify and it was open and my computer crashed. It would be awesome if there was something that could be done.

Hey again 🙂

Blue screens are definitely rare, especially if a program is causing the blue screen. I don't suppose you managed to grab the stop code from the blue screen? It might be shown in "Windows Event Viewer". 

Peter

Peter

My Windows Security Firewall was off and I turned it on and is now telling me specifically that Spotify is a threat to my pc

@AlliMcCat wrote:

My Windows Security Firewall was off and I turned it on and is now telling me specifically that Spotify is a threat to my pc

What threat is it detecting? 

If you downloaded Spotify from the main Spotify website then it is almost 100% a false positive. 

Peter

Peter

Suggested posts