Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My spotify won't recognize my premium account

My spotify won't recognize my premium account

Whenever I log in to spotify, it says that I have to either update my profile for the country I am in, or upgrade to premium.  I updated the country to match my IP, and it wouldn't work.  Then, I upgraded to premium, and that doesn't work either.  It won't let me go online or listen to music.  What should I do?

19 Replies

Is your account showing as premium on your online overview?

If it is showing as premium then you should be good to go! Sometimes a quick log out and back in again is needed. If you are still having issues, try a clean reinstallation of the application. 

If your account is still showing as free then you have not logged into the account you have upgraded. Double check your details, its amazingly easy to accidentally have two accounts, one with a Spotify username and another using your Facebook details. If you can't find your account, don't subscribe again as you might be billed twice, instead get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to lend a hand.

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Upgraded to the free month of Premium with the intention of then keeping it and paying the monthly subscription fee till the end of time, but 16 hours later it still won't recognise I have a Premium sub in the Spotify client (it does on the webpage). I did everything from logging out and logging back in various times, to deleting the cache, and even a complete reinstall.

You really shouldn't make customers work to active a service they've paid for.

Unsubscribed from Premium and have gone back to putting up with the ads. Less hassle that way.

@wizbore Sorry for the trouble!

It looks like there might be a temporary problem with the server responsible for activating subscriptions.

Spotify is looking into the problem. Check back for updates.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Its now 2015 and I am having the same problem on both Android and Windows. It wont recognize my Premium account. I have uninstalled and re-downloaded twice on each device, still no upgrade.  My account says I have Premium. 

I will repeat from above: I should not have to work so hard to get something I have already paid for. 

Whats the deal? 

Yup same thing here, I just bought premium, but on my phone and windows pc it still say I've got the free version, the site says I've got premium. 😕 I tried logging in and out, but that didn't work 😞

I upgraded hours ago, I have uninstalled/installed 4 times on two devices now, still stuck in free. Account page tells me I am premium, still.  Do I stay or do I go to another service.....? 

If this maintains as an issue, will we be charged for our time here in purgatory? My payment went through as of July 01 2015, but if I get no service for a while, do I get those days added on?

Every time I try to download to listen off line. It tries to sell me a family plan

Same issue here, it seems the app doesn't want to recognize new subscribers.

Muy molesto con el servicio dixe que tengo premium pero en la app tengo gratuito y ya pague y tengo la orden de pago solucionenlo ya

Issue seems to be affecting people again

I had to wait a long time before my activated account was actually useable; wait a day and try again.

Keep calm.

Screen-Shot-2015-12-31-18-05-47.png

Payed for an upgrade to Spotify Premium and it does not work!!! Deconected and reconected...stil does not work.

Did you read my previous message, or are you just commenting without reading?

BTW it works for me now. Need to logout and login again.

Be kind. It is (very) frustrating to pay for a service and then not get the service, and although Spotify is apparently aware of this case, this is not the first time that this has happened (see comments above). So, I understand the excitement and frustration...we are here to help, not criticize. My advice: wait, see if Spotify can fix the bug, then try again. Go for a walk (musicless...I guess!) and check back in a bit. If it continues, let the community know.

I paid for premium this morning and my account is still saying my account is still on the free subscription. I had premium a couple days ago but didn't have the renewal fee amount in my account so it downgraded and now that I have the money and paid for the upgrade, it's not recognizing the upgrade. According to my settings in my phone, it says that it starts 12/31/16 and not today 12/31/15.

If it says that it starts 2016 and not 2015, then there is an internal error with Spotify (or perhaps you chose a start date incorrectly? I am not sure that I was ever given an option to select a start date, though). Try uninstalling and then reinstalling the app on your device, and see if that fixes it. As I said, I had to wait a long time for my account to work...it needed time for spotify to get it changed from free to premium.

Thanks is working now

It’s now 2018 and you’re still having these problems Spotify. What is going on? I’ve just cancelled my premium account because my app won’t recognise that I’m a premium customer. I’ve tried signing in and out. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app and logging back in and it still won’t work. 

Is there an easy solution? I’ve just upgraded to and iPhone X and the app is the only way I use the service.

Suggested posts