Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

My username/profile URL is random numbers/letters - tons of people with this problem and no solution

My username/profile URL is random numbers/letters - tons of people with this problem and no solution

I created my Spotify account through Facebook. I've read about many others having this same problem allegedly because of creating their account with Facebook but also plenty of others have described this problem and claimed to have created their accounts without Facebook.

When I try to share my Spotify profile, when I share a playlist I created, when I contribute to a group playlist, my username/profile URL is 22szkbaojfdo76u6kqnmsfkhi. This looks god awful, is immemorable, and generally annoying. Since certain social media platforms allow you to share in your profile links to Spotify, this jumble of random numbers/letters is what appears.

There has to be a solution out there, but all the threads are just a slew of users describing the same problem in the replies and no real solution offered by Spotify or expert users (some attempts but none successful or accurate).

Does anyone know of a way around this problem to have a real username appear instead of that random junk? 

5 Replies

Same issue, just signed up for an account with my email address, no facebook involved.  The display name is the one I selected at signup ("What should we call you" I think was the question), but same issue, the account information says my username is a series of numbers/letters, thus if I share my link it is this monstrousity as well.  Very frustrating.  I actually have another personal account, from about 2 years ago, where this was not an issue.  I have a simple username I selected.  I wonder if Spotify changed their approach and now forcing everyone to have this garbage number/letter string.  If anyone finds a solution please share!

same issue here, anyone know any solution? 

same problem! 😞

Hi, a friend of mine has the same issue. It appears that if you sign up using Facebook your username becomes the random slew of numbers and letters. As you can't change your username on spotify I believe the only way around this is to create a new account without using the "sign up using Facebook" and then, if you still want your account linked, link it after the sign up. I hope that helps!

It seems like it has nothing to do with Facebook - I just helped a friend create a Spotify account and we used the plain old email-signup, Facebook was not involved at all. But still the username is a totally unreadable and unusable mess.

Like someone above already mentioned: during the signup process it says "what should we call you?" and we entered a unique username - but Spotify still assigns a bunch of numbers instead of the chosen username. Weirdly enough, if you type https://open.spotify.com/user/ and the actual (chosen) username into the address bar of your browser, it opens up the profile just fine - so the correct username does work - but it's still ignored when sharing a playlist or something like that...

Dear Spotify folks, please do something about this - you want your users to share stuff, right? It looks ridiculous to share links with a mile-long "username" smack in the middle 😕

Suggested posts