Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

NO connection whatsoever after 5pm

NO connection whatsoever after 5pm

For the past 6 weeks without fail I cannot listen to anything, stops and stars every few seconds it's awful, it has been every single night without fail,this is the only time I realty get to sit down and listen and I can't, Im basically paying for thin air, I have given it time but it's just not getting any better, why is this. My connection to the internet is spot on
9 Replies

Sounds like either a firewall issue, or more likely your ISP is restricting your connection.

It's fine during the day it's the evenings when it comes to a stop

Then your ISP is restricting your connection. Most likely they are traffic shaping it.

No idea what ISP is, im using Wi-Fi and my phone provider, same problem on both.

ISP is your internet provider. If you are using your Cellphone provider then its almost certain that they are restricting your connection.

If your wifi is connected to a normal Internet provider then check with them to see if they traffic shape the connection at peak times.

Dont think it can be that then cause im using wifi the majority of time, i was told it could be the time of day when more people are using it, cant see it being my provider i hardly use the internet

It doesnt matter when you use it. Most ISP's throttle or change your connection at peak usage times dependant on how many people are using the line you are on.

Most people are on what is called a 50:1 contention ratio line.

This means that for every 1 line at the telephone exchange, 50 people or connections can be connected to it.  If the majority or all of those connections are connected to that line and are being used, then the ISP will change the connection automatically to ensure people can still connect. They just wont be able to use streaming/p2p etc. 

BT and TalkTalk  in the UK are notorious for doing that.

Some ISP's have what is called a 20:1 contention ratio. This means less people are allowed to connect to the line at the exchange so you get a better connection and MUCH less chance at having your connection changed.

Give your Internet Provider a call in the morning, and ask for them to investigate and check if they are shaping your connection at peak times.  Make sure to let them know that you lose connection to streaming software at the same time, ever day.

Great...ok cheers for that.

No probs. I find it easier to understand whats going on when its explained easily.

Suggested posts