Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Not Getting Advertised Promotional Rate - 99 Cents for Three Months

Solved!

Not Getting Advertised Promotional Rate - 99 Cents for Three Months

When I logged in under my trial on the splash page it showed a promotion for the first three months of premium at 99 cents per month. When I activated premium I did not get the promotional rate. How do I get this fixed? I was charged the normal $9.99 per month.

MODERATOR EDIT:

Hi everyone, thanks for coming to the Spotify Community to reach out with your questions.

As many of you have already posted, the offer for 3 months for .99 USD is available to users that have never had Premium on their account before (via a subscription or a trial). We have more info about this holiday offer here on our FAQ page as well.

Please know we’ve read your comments on this and we’re passing on your feedback around this offer.

If you have had an any further questions about your subscription please get in touch with us via the contact form so we can take a closer look at your account. You’ll then hear from our team shortly, thanks!

142 Replies

This is some serious bull**bleep**, this is just another moneymaking scam to cheat people out of their money. This is ridiculous. I want my money back.

Case number thing: ref:_00DD0pxIW._500D0mY5bo:ref

I messaged them again about a refund but I never got a response. I saw someone here had canceled the same day and gotten a refund but I've tried about 6 times to cancel and keep getting an "oops there was an error" message. Come on, man. This is not cool.

This will be a long winded rant about my experiences with Spotify's Customer Service. My apologies. Let me start off by saying I love Spotify, and how it's not free to use on mobile. It's a great service. And now all the bad about this "promotion." I heard it when I was listening to Spotify yesterday morning, and I'm thinking to myself, this is a great promotion, I'm gonna sign up for this right away. Do it, at the sign up page, it says $9.99 for one month of Spotify Premium. I'm confused, so I go back to the home page of Spotify and check out the ad. There's no asterisk or anything that says this is only for users whom haven't had Premium before. It only says something along the lines of "Spotify Premium for 3 months at $0.99." Click on the ad, takes me to the upgrade page, but it still says $9.99 for one month. I think it's gotta be a mistake, there's no fine print or anything that says I can't have the advertised price. So I upgrade. I check my bank account, Spotify charged me $9.99. After struggling to find this page about users that got charged $9.99 instead of $0.99, I finally manage to get here. I read about how there's a fine print in the TOS about trials being only for users that haven't had Premium before. I email Customer Support and after 12 hours, finally get a response. She said the advertised price was only for users who haven't had Premium before and that I could cancel before my one month is up if I don't want to get charged $9.99 for next month. No offer like anyone else got. I just want a refund. I can't exactly afford $9.99 this month. I could afford $0.99. Suffice to say, I won't be using or recommending Spotify anymore. This entire advertisement campaign is far too sketchy. I'm gonna try Customer Service again and see if I can't get my refund.

Here's my reference number if any Spotify moderators care. ref:_00DD0pxIW._500D0mYUti:ref

Yesterday (5/12/14) i received a message at 22:00 (madrid time) about the same old stuff, sorry bla bla bla offering me 2 more months for free or a refound. I just want a refound and nothing at all from this platform, let's see what they say today.

But the most important thing is to make the ads more clearly and not misleading whatsoever, it's so easy to put a (*) and that's it and avoid all this pandemonium

@Pricilla wrote:

Hey @CrackedLCD!

Could you please post your case # number here? We'll be happy to chase it up!

Pricilla - sure here's my reference #:

[ ref:_00DD0pxIW._500D0fasMj:ref ]

Ok, so I'm finally getting answers about a refound, today a different person (this is the 3rd one) reply to me with an attached picture that apparently is in the home page; yes a screenshot called Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 14.34.40 (1).png that by the name i assume was taken last month. That's spanish sorry but pretty much explains the thing about the promo very clearly, with an (*) and all.

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 14.34.40 (1).png

So TODAY (picture called  2014-12-05 a las 13.48.19.png and you can clearly see on top of the pic) I inmidiatley went to look at the page and of course, there is nothing:

Captura de pantalla 2014-12-05 a las 13.48.19.png

I also went and look for that lady but of course, NOTHING

Captura de pantalla 2014-12-05 a las 14.05.54.png

DEAR SPOTIFY: Jus admit you're wrong, specify the thing about the promo in a VISIBLE place and refound to those who are waiting. Thanks a lot.

@LaurenNya wrote:

This is some serious bull**bleep**, this is just another moneymaking scam to cheat people out of their money. This is ridiculous. I want my money back.

Hi @LaurenNya,

Please get in touch with us at https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/ so we can fix this for you.

@xZombieChickx wrote:

Case number thing: ref:_00DD0pxIW._500D0mY5bo:ref

I messaged them again about a refund but I never got a response. I saw someone here had canceled the same day and gotten a refund but I've tried about 6 times to cancel and keep getting an "oops there was an error" message. Come on, man. This is not cool.

I can see my colleague is in the process of fixing this for you - we're just waiting for your reply to confirm we can go ahead with the refund & free month.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else in the meantime. 

@viraxel wrote:

This will be a long winded rant about my experiences with Spotify's Customer Service. My apologies. Let me start off by saying I love Spotify, and how it's not free to use on mobile. It's a great service. And now all the bad about this "promotion." I heard it when I was listening to Spotify yesterday morning, and I'm thinking to myself, this is a great promotion, I'm gonna sign up for this right away. Do it, at the sign up page, it says $9.99 for one month of Spotify Premium. I'm confused, so I go back to the home page of Spotify and check out the ad. There's no asterisk or anything that says this is only for users whom haven't had Premium before. It only says something along the lines of "Spotify Premium for 3 months at $0.99." Click on the ad, takes me to the upgrade page, but it still says $9.99 for one month. I think it's gotta be a mistake, there's no fine print or anything that says I can't have the advertised price. So I upgrade. I check my bank account, Spotify charged me $9.99. After struggling to find this page about users that got charged $9.99 instead of $0.99, I finally manage to get here. I read about how there's a fine print in the TOS about trials being only for users that haven't had Premium before. I email Customer Support and after 12 hours, finally get a response. She said the advertised price was only for users who haven't had Premium before and that I could cancel before my one month is up if I don't want to get charged $9.99 for next month. No offer like anyone else got. I just want a refund. I can't exactly afford $9.99 this month. I could afford $0.99. Suffice to say, I won't be using or recommending Spotify anymore. This entire advertisement campaign is far too sketchy. I'm gonna try Customer Service again and see if I can't get my refund.

Here's my reference number if any Spotify moderators care. ref:_00DD0pxIW._500D0mYUti:ref

I've just bumped your email.

You should have a reply & resolution from us shortly. 

As ever, get back to us if there's anything we can do for you in the meantime. 

@user-removed wrote:

Ok, so I'm finally getting answers about a refound, today a different person (this is the 3rd one) reply to me with an attached picture that apparently is in the home page; yes a screenshot called Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 14.34.40 (1).png that by the name i assume was taken last month. That's spanish sorry but pretty much explains the thing about the promo very clearly, with an (*) and all.

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 14.34.40 (1).png

So TODAY (picture called  2014-12-05 a las 13.48.19.png and you can clearly see on top of the pic) I inmidiatley went to look at the page and of course, there is nothing:

Captura de pantalla 2014-12-05 a las 13.48.19.png

I also went and look for that lady but of course, NOTHING

Captura de pantalla 2014-12-05 a las 14.05.54.png

DEAR SPOTIFY: Jus admit you're wrong, specify the thing about the promo in a VISIBLE place and refound to those who are waiting. Thanks a lot.

We do apologise for any inconvenience with this. 

We're looking forward to fixing this for you - you should hear from someone shortly. 

I have never had premium  and it keeps asking for 9.99 when I want to upgrade

Hey Grace/Pricilla,

Can you please look into my case number

[ ref:_00DD0pxIW._500D0mY9Z4:ref ]

I used a different card to sign up for this promotion, I've sent reciepts from my card account to customer service, the account section shows a different card and the customer service rep is confused ! Its been three days since I've been trying to get a refund! The response time is painfully slow.

@turnerm5 wrote:

The FTC's guidelines are very clear on this point.

"Disclosures that are required to prevent an advertisement from being deceptive, unfair, or otherwise violative of a Commission rule, must be presented “clearly and conspicuously.” Whether a disclosure meets this standard is measured by its performance — that is, how consumers actually perceive and understand the disclosure within the context of the entire ad. The key is the overall net impression of the ad — that is, whether the claims consumers take from the ad are truthful and substantiated. If a disclosure is not seen or comprehended, it will not change the net impression consumers take from the ad and therefore cannot qualify the claim to avoid a misleading impression."

That pretty much sums it up.  There's no case Spotify can make to suggest that the exclusions are "clear and conspicuous" and that it's not "deceptive & unfair".

@Grace wrote:

I can see my colleague is in the process of fixing this for you - we're just waiting for your reply to confirm we can go ahead with the refund & free month.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else in the meantime. 

Thank you. I replied to him!

I have the same problem and the person that I've been emailing me said that I signed up for the free premium service for 30 days so I can't get this promotion?!.

The problem is that the link on the website (99 cent link) brings you to a signup page and if you haven't signed up before, they give you the free 30 days instead......

Well, finally got an email back from Spotify support about an hour ago letting me they're about to process my refund as soon as they get more information. As opposed to the "someone will get back to you shortly" answer I receieved about 12 hours ago. This entire ad campaign is just awful. As soon as my refund is processed, I'm definitely taking my business elsewhere and not recomending Spotify anymore.

Just got told my refund is processing. Premium was cancelled, but I still haven't been refunded my money. It has only been about 15 minutes, though. Will update on Monday if my money hasn't been given back.

Well, it's Monday, and I still don't have my refund money. I'm going to email support. Again. 

Thanks, CrackedLCD!

I can see that my colleague is helping out to get this fixed already.

Let us know if we can help with anything else in the meantime.

@dougwpg wrote:

I have never had premium  and it keeps asking for 9.99 when I want to upgrade

Hey @dougwpg!

Please get in touch with us via this form so we can help out.

I think the commercial should SAY offer not available to those who have had trial subscriptions already.     I tried too (as many others i see here who even took the time to comment in this thread, for every 1 there are probably 12+ that don't take the time).   Unless I missed the legelese at the end of commercial 😞

The ad DOES NOT say to new premium users. VERY misleading! Spotify needs to change that. I dont have premium right now and for the right price I would have come back, but not now with the misleading advertisment.

Suggested posts