Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Parental Control Settings

Solved!

Parental Control Settings

Hi Folks

I coudn't seem to find anything on the Spotify site or under my account settings, but does anyone know if there are parental control settings for Spotify. Want to limit some of the language in the songs for my 8 year old

Cheers

62 Replies

Highly considering to switch to another music service for our 6 and 8 year old boys.

Some said that the filters are automatic with date of birth associated with the member: Not the case.

Pandora

I am a retired Veteran of the U.S. Army and a Chaplain and have some very serious concerns regarding the lack of parental controls on Spotify. I have the premium package and now I am considering dropping my subscription for the safety of my two little girls (10 & 12). As a large multi-media conglomerate, the organization's corporate office needs to to be family friendly and enact child protective measures. Right now the door is wide open and my children and so many millions of other children are vulnerable. I am requesting some action on the part of the company to fix this vulnerability and put safety first- its a family value.

Frank

Ridiculous that this has still not been sorted! Going to have to look into other options if this doesn't get implemented soon. Expected that Spotify would have some kind of content blocking in place! 

I have been experimenting with Pandora....my two 14 yr old daughters are liking it better than Spotify. I will be switching at the end of the November.  To think that Spotify is forcing us to the competitor....

I just upgraded to family and am so incredibly disappointed to discover that there are no parental controls for explicit lyrics. I was going to recommend the family plan to all of my friends, but now find myself in the position to instead have to alert them to this grave concern. Spotify, when are you going to fix this? Thank you for the Pandora idea. I may also have to switch. This is just so neglectful of such a huge percentage of users.

I'm going to have to jump in here as well.  As much as I hate to leave Spotify, it might be forced due to the continued lack of parental controls.  How am I supposed to give a 7 and 5 year old full access to anything they might want to listen to?  I'd even be willing to pay MORE for this capability.  Such a shame...

Just closed my Premium account after many many years. Love Spotify, but simply can't let it play even the Global chart as it's full of explicit songs without any way to filter them out. I am tired of having to switch off Spotify when my 2 year old and 6 year old are around. We've switched to Apple Music since you can easily filter out explicit songs and leave it to play randomly without any worries. I'd come back to Spotify if they'd implement some parental controls.

Change.org Petition for Spotify to Add Parental Controls

https://www.change.org/p/spotify-parental-controls-help-protect-children-from-explicit-content

maybe they will start listeining

I left about a year ago because of the same issue.  I was happy to find that both pandora and Apple Music have great features to block explicit.   I have also made several playlist on Spotify using the clean versions of songs....it was sometimes difficult to find the clean versions.   

Here is is a good article that lays out many of the Services around today and their parental controls. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.commonsense.org/blog/f2d3482c-e92a-448c-ab20-ca5a798a76ff

Just purhased the family plan as a xmas gift and tried to turn on parental controls for my 2 kids (8 & 11), shocked there is no functionality... Will be investigating pandora tonight.

What a shame.

I was researching third party options, the parent controls built into antivirus solutions and routers and so forth, when it hit me: Children shouldn't have unsupervised access to music streaming services. Full stop. Never mind all the swearing and sexually explicit language in modern music. Older songs can be much more titillating and more instructive than what's popular today. How are you going to filter for songs like I Touch Myself and Little Red Corvette? What about March of the Pigs and Heresy? Here's another old favorite of mine.

I'm only seventeen (seventeen), but I'll show you love like you've never seen

She's only seventeen (seventeen), daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for me

Do you guys want your children listening to that?

Kids grew up without streaming music for a long time. Some of those kids grew up in the digital age and had pretty impressive music collections. I don't know about you, but I spent about a decade listening to my own mp3s. Maybe it's time we started owning some of our music again instead of relying so faithfully on subscription services.

Maybe a suggestion is to have settings that only allow them to play certain pre-created playlists

Since this thread dates back to 2015, it seems Spotify has no intention of introducing parental controls. I thought this option would be a no-brainer in the Family subscription. As a parent of two young teenagers I'll do my best to explain and be vigilant. But if it becomes an issue, I won't hesitate to jump to another streaming service.

As Spotify cranks up for an IPO - I agree that this issue has been largely ignored or forgotten. I second your sentiments I would happily move to another service that would provide a parental feature.

I can't say with 100% certainly but I'm pretty sure several of the other major music services provide explicit lyric filtering (including iTunes and Pandora).

Well looks like I'm going to jump on this band wagon as well (sigh). I've been a long time Premium Spotify user and hate to have to close my account due to lack of Parental Controls. I don't have any kids but I myself hate listening to, what I think is going to be the radio version of a secular song, and it turns out to be explicit. It's a shame that this post dates years back and Spotify still hasn't implemented an updated version of the app that includes Parental Controls. I'm looking into Pandora tonight and will likely close my Spotify account. What a real shame 😞

Glad I found this thread before paying for this family service (Family Plan is a joke). I just finished the trial and enjoy the music selection found in Spotify and enjoy the <explicit> next to each song to help sort out playlists for my children 4, 6, and 10 when I am in the car with them listening.  

It does seem quite odd that the service can add <explicit> but cannot add a filter for this which would seem very simple from a programming standpoint since the hard part is done. I thought I was just inept when looking through the menus and did not locate such features. It seems I am not inept, just the management at Spotify.

Also, I have noticed many Spotify curated playlists have <explicit> songs in them, which should also be an easy fix but has not been addressed. I will now look into other streaming services that can perform this simple task. Goodbye Spotify!

Agreed.
We are now apple music subscribers. While I like the interface/user-friendliness of Spotify, filtering for explicit content is more important.

Suggested posts