Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Parental Control Settings

Solved!

Parental Control Settings

Hi Folks

I coudn't seem to find anything on the Spotify site or under my account settings, but does anyone know if there are parental control settings for Spotify. Want to limit some of the language in the songs for my 8 year old

Cheers

62 Replies

For me it’s not about giving my child unsupervised access to Spotify, it’s about being comfortable having some music on whilst my six year old is in the same room!

But Apple music doesn’t filter out explicit music. I have the “explicit music” button disabled under parental restrictions on my daughters iPhone. However, when I tested it and tried to play songs with the “explicit” rating it still played them. It just cuts out the bad word, but any dummy can tell what they are saying and infer the meaning. Why won’t one of these music apps completely block access to any song with the “E” on the front?! I don’t get it!!

I think that's the preferred behavior for most people...? If you completely eliminated all the explicit songs (rather than just censoring the specific words within those songs), there'd be hardly any music catalogue left.

Right, but why can’t we decide to eliminate that portion of the music catalogue for our kids? My 9 year old won’t benefit from the degrading gangsta rap. She won’t be missing anything.

We would like this too.  Will look for another source of music supplier now

I also recently purchased a family subscription for me and my 10-year old. After listening to the music the app suggested for him, I am appalled. Parental Controls need to be added or I am canceling my subscription. 

I Googled the subject because I wanted to check where Parental Controls setting is. For a second it never occurred to me that such option does not exist... So for example Google can apply Safe Search to the whole Internet and Spotify cannot age rate lyrics? Is it even legal? All this talk about corporate responsibility, child safety on the Web and when it actually comes to doing something about it a simple switch cannot be implemented. It's pathetic...

Yeah, this does seam like a no-brainer for the "Family Plan". We may have to rethink this.

Switched to Apple Music for this reason.  Once Spotify figures out the basics of what their customers want, I'll be back.  Spotify is head's and shoulders better in every area than Apple Music, but the lack of parental controls is a non-starter.  

ADD PARENTAL CONTROLS - NOW

Come on Spotify... BE RESPONSIBLE....ADD PARENTAL CONTROLS.  

Spotify, you have a corporate responsibility to children.  Effectively this feels like abuse by not applying any type of responsibility to prevent my 4 year old or other young kids from listening to elicit material.  If common sense corporate responsibility can not be applied then will push for government top down policy, alternatively let’s see a responsible rival to enter the market.  Sony and other brands are equally responsible for whom they accept these organisations to add onto standard TV sets.  Please make your actions responsible to children!

Last night i had a song caled "Let's F***" auto play after a Weird Al song. It was played at volume through our kitchen speaker while my 7 and 9 year olds were listening. Very disappointed to find that there are no parental controls. Seeya Spotify.

Come on Spotify...WHY are you not RESPONDING to these threads and MORE importantly activating this OPTION for the "Family Plan" .... REMEMBER you guys are calling it a "Family Plan / Premium For Family"........So....JUST DO IT!     SPOTIFY PLEASE REPLY

I agree - there should be an option to hide or stop explicit content from being played. Get on it Spotify! 

If I quoted some of the lyrics that spotify broadcasts to children on their service here I'm sure the comment will be moderated on not displayed. It does feel like spotify is violating their ethical responsibility if not legal by broadcasting to children content that should be rate 15+.

It is beyond ridiculous that Spotify has not enhanced their service with parental controls.  We have Alexa and I can't let the kids use it with Spotify.  It should be a basic function.  Been with Spotify, as a paying customer, since the beginning.  Looking for another option (Apple, Amazon) immediately.  It is apparent that protecting our children is the last thing on Spotify's mind.

Canceled sub over this

I have an 11 year  girl old now on a family plan ,we have filtered her internet, and went to do the same on spotify and nothing. How the **bleep** can they not have parental controls . Is it a left wing agenda to corrupt children . Have they taken off the racist kori story rapper songs who raps about putting bullets in white people's head then got arrested and convicted of shooting three White people ? Probably not,even though his songs on spotify has been brought to their attention numerous times. From what I hear ,Fox news is actually investigating this rappers songs on spotify as we speak,so maybe they will also bring up the parental control issue as well. 

Spotify, 

What does it take to make a feature request MORE obvious to the point that you'll implement this? 

I've been using Apple iTunes paid services for over 1 year after switching AWAY from you - I HATE THEIR INTERFACE.  I'd switch back in a heartbeat ONLY IF you implement parental filtering.  

Keep listening to your customers, 

--

John Clayton

This is not solved.... it is just being ignored by the Spotify staff.  I guess children controls for parents is not important to them.  I am going to have to leave for Apple Music which has full parental controls.  Shame... don't want to do it, but after catching my 8 year old son listening to explict content and no way to turn this off and enforce it as a parent, I have to do what I have to do.

Suggested posts