Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Pay with PayPal without Creditcard

Pay with PayPal without Creditcard

Hi,

i'm glad to see that Spotify is now avaible in Germany.

I would like to use the Premium Membership, but if i try to pay with PayPal i still need

a credit card.

Why is it not possible to use PayPal without a credit card, but with a "normal" bank account?

89 Replies

Same problem. It is pretty stupid. If they are not gonna fix this there is also another music provider in germany i can stick to. You dont need a creditcard there 😕

Same problem here. I'd really like to use Spotify as a premium member. Thus I've even created a PayPal-Account, which I refused to do before. I thought it was a bad joke when I found out I still need a credit card. Maybe you just weren't aware of the fact that using credit cards is quite uncommon in Germany, especially for younger people.

Please fix that and the fact, that it's totally non-transparent which parts of your library are in q9 (320 kbps).

I really love Spotify, but if you can't offer those basic functionalities other services provide, I'll have to use another streaming service or remain buying CD's.

@j123456 wrote:

Hi,

i'm glad to see that Spotify is now avaible in Germany.

I would like to use the Premium Membership, but if i try to pay with PayPal i still need

a credit card.

Why is it not possible to use PayPal without a credit card, but with a "normal" bank account?

Gee, thanks for pointing that out. I just had an "argument" with a friend about that, telling him he wasn't making sense - why would Spotify accept Paypal payments and then block the most common means of online payment?

So yes, bank transfer / bank draft is most commonly used for payment in this country, while credit cards are not. Works fine with Paypal, too, but by purposely disabling it you're effectively keeping out the majority of potential customers. Wonder what marketing guru came up with that.

This is absolutely ridiculous to say the least, I just made a paypal account specially for Spotify, linked my bank account to my Paypal account, then it turns out they only accept Creditcard transfers through Paypal? Are you kidding me?

I'm sorry about the confusion, and the inconvenience. Needless to say, we would like to have you as subscribers, and wouldn't put barriers in the way for no good reason. This is my understanding of the problem..

Because a Spotify subscription removes any restrictions on use of Spotify outside your profile country, our music licenses are rather strict about the conditions under which a customer can subscribe. We need to establish that the customer's country of permanent residence is their profile country. If we didn't do that, an account could be set up anywhere in the world, via a proxy, and could then be used without restriction. Our music licensees don't want that. We can't offer the service to customers whose country of permanent residence is not one we are licensed for.

>> why would Spotify accept Paypal payments and then block the most common means of online payment?

I'm not sure of the technical details, I'm afraid, but a PayPal account is not enough to establish the country of permanent residence - unless the account is connected to a bank card.

>>  Why is it not possible to use PayPal without a credit card, but with a "normal" bank account?

To be honest, I don't know. I'll try to get some more info.

>> Maybe you just weren't aware of the fact that using credit cards is quite uncommon in Germany, especially for younger people.

I have to emphasise that a credit card isn't required. I don't have a credit card, and probably never will. I use a debit card.

We will be working to get additional methods of payment available. In Scandinavia, for instance, you can pick up pre-paid codes for Unlimited and Premium from your local newspaper shop.

@Jude wrote:

>> why would Spotify accept Paypal payments and then block the most common means of online payment?

>I'm not sure of the technical details, I'm afraid, but a PayPal account is not enough to establish the country of permanent >residence - unless the account is connected to a bank card.

Well, an actual German bank account should value at least as much as a credit card. Funny side note, a foreign Paypal account can be easily established with a fake address and *any* credit card. Heck, that's how I payed for Spotify before it became available in Germany 🐵

>> Maybe you just weren't aware of the fact that using credit cards is quite uncommon in Germany, especially for younger people.

> I have to emphasise that a credit card isn't required. I don't have a credit card, and probably never will. I use

> a debit card.

The debit cards people use are usually Maestro or V-Pay based and *not* suitable for any online activity. It's not Visa or Mastercard, though some functions are linked to those companies. To pay online, people use the bank account associated with that card.

> We will be working to get additional methods of payment available. In Scandinavia, for instance, you can pick up pre-paid > codes for Unlimited and Premium from your local newspaper shop.

Well, while it doesn't concern me personally I'd still be curious to find out why Spotify would disable Paypal in connection with a German bank account (and I just checked, I can only add a German account for direct debit in Paypal). As mentioned above, I can however add any credit card, from any country ... so country of residence restrictions can't really be the issue here. 

There is always a way to get around things. What we do is to is to follow the agreements that we have with our music licensees. Without trying to be funny about this, we don't disallow certain payment methods just to irritate our potential customers.

I understand the issue with debit cards. The kind of debit cards that we can accept require the kind of "credit-like" functionality that, for example, Visa and Mastercard debit cards have.

>> I can however add any credit card, from any country ... so country of residence restrictions can't really be the issue here.

I don't think it would be acceptable for use for a Spotify subscription if the card used is not issued (ie has a billing address) in Germany.

To my mind, unlimited travel is more of an occasional benefit for most customers. If it is the root of the problem, it could be solved by simply not allowing unlimited travel for subscriptions that are not backed up by a billing address. I don't know how complicated this would be.

Seems like Spotify has changed payment options. I just got myself Spotify Unlimited via my Paypal-Account, which is still only connected to my bank account.

Great!

i live in belguim and i wil like to have spotify to.

but paypal dont work for me.

Ive 25 euro on my pay pal and for the unlimited he stil asks a creditcard i hate it.

Greetings sofie

@Jude wrote:

We will be working to get additional methods of payment available. In Scandinavia, for instance, you can pick up pre-paid codes for Unlimited and Premium from your local newspaper shop.

Hi.

I live in Sweden, where can I buy these cards for the "Unlimited" Spotify subscription?

regards,

MoonSire

MoonSire - You'll be able to pick up one of these cards in the stores mentioned on this page: http://www.spotify.com/se/gift-card/
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

can I take advantage of the free 30 day offer by buying a pre paid Spotify premium card thereby getting the initial two months for the price of one?

Hey there,

Sadly the 30 day trial is only accessible online at present.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Hey! greetings from Austria!

I was trying to test out the premium version of spotify (30days trail) but i cant pay with my paypal account. I have around 200€ on my paypal account and it is verfied with my bank account which is located in austria too.

i still get the message that i need to verfiy a credit card.

why would spotify not let your customers pay and use their service??

Keoz - Your PayPal account will need to be linked up to a payment card in order for the payment to go through.

If you're still having trouble, take a look at our FAQs here: https://www.spotify.com/help/faq/payment/

Please note, the abuse function should not be used to get moderators attention. We'll get to your problem, don't worry. If we don't, we have a lovely community here to help you out.
-------

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

why are you offering Paypal payment if you only allow it for credit cards?!

but its ok, there are other possibilities to listen for music, i uninstalled your program.

good bye

The reason for using paypal is that I do not want to expose my credit card unnecessarily. I had previously a premium subscription via swedish bredbandsbolaget. Since that agreement expired I have been using the free version since paypal requires a credit card. I have sufficient funds. My account is for sure swedish since I used it via bredbandsbolaget.

Don't you want my money? How stupid can things get?

So when is Spotify going to fix this payment problem (the status here on the forum is set to solved, but it isn't really?)

Here my problem:

I live in The Netherlands.

I have paypal account connected to my Dutch bank account. But, like others described before, that is not good enough for Spotify : it's asking again for a credit card.

The use of Credit Cards in Europe is much less then in The States. I don't want to own a credit card since there are many other payment options which won't put you into debt.

I looked for a debet card that functions like a credit card. I found that at www.moneybookers.com > I got a real credit card, but I have to put money on that card first.

Anyway, I do have a credit card now, but it still won't work for Spotify: Moneybookers is an English company and even though my card is registered to me with my Dutch address, Spotify won't accept it.

Before I solved it by changing my country in Spotify to England using the Moneybookers zip code. But now my account is offline because Spotify is saying I am not in 'my own country', even though in fact I am.

Changing back my profile to my zip code here in The Netherlands is also not working, since changing my location is linked to the credit card information.

So now I am in an endless loop and can't use Spotify at all any more.

Please Spotify: it's so easy to solve if you delete the request for a credit card at Paypal. A Paypal account with a bank account connected (which will give you the country that a person lives in) should be enough!

inTOWN - It looks like your most recent payment hasn't gone through, which will explain why you're getting these messages.

To get it all going again, you'll need to resubscribe. Shouldn't take long, just head here: www.spotify.com/account/subscription
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

Suggested posts