Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Paying for premium, but can only play in one place?!

Paying for premium, but can only play in one place?!

I'm paying for premium service, but can't have my wife and I listed at the same time with the same account. 

At the price of an album per month I'm better off just buying the freaking music and listen wherever whenever we like. Does Spotify expect us to buy a premium membership for each household member??? This is why piracy exists! 

10 Replies

@liorbk wrote:

I'm paying for premium service, but can't have my wife and I listed at the same time with the same account. 

At the price of an album per month I'm better off just buying the freaking music and listen wherever whenever we like. Does Spotify expect us to buy a premium membership for each household member??? This is why piracy exists! 

In the terms of service it states that Spotify is for personal use only, and accounts may not be shared.

Liam

I totally agree. Heck, why draw the line at the wife? What about children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, casual acquaintances........

I understand that now. Maybe that's realistic for 20 year olds who live for themselves alone. Even the draconians Apple allowes you to share.

Canceling premium. 

@jwylot wrote:

I totally agree. Heck, why draw the line at the wife? What about children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, casual acquaintances........

Spotify is specifically for personal use only, and you all agreed to this when you created your account!

Liam

@liorbk wrote:

I understand that now. Maybe that's realistic for 20 year olds who live for themselves alone. Even the draconians 

Canceling premium. 

There is an idea for family subscriptions, I'll find the link.

Think about it - how are the artists/rights holders supposed to make money if there are 10 people listening on one £10 a month subscription?

Liam

The same way Netflix takes $9 and allows me to do it. 

There's no value for me in this anymore

@liorbk wrote:

The same way Netflix takes $9 and allows me to do it. 

There's no value for me in this anymore

Fair enough, but you did agree to this when you thouroughly read and agreed to the terms.

Although I do try to read the tems carefully every time, this clause escaped me. Had I known I wouldn't have paid premium so far. 

Went over the EULA again. The language is ambigous and implies that personal use means "not commecial". 

In all fairness, as long as all instances originate from the same IP, it shouldn't matter how many there are. 

If you are having trouble with the definition, see this:

http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/P/PersonalUse.aspx

I should initiate a class action against Spotify.

Hey there 🙂 

Unfortunately, that is the way the Spotify system works. Accounts are designed for invidivual usage, there is a help page about it here

As for class action, I would suggest you check section 18 of the EULA before initiating in any kind of legal procedings. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts