Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Payment problems with PayPal: suddenly a credit card is required

Payment problems with PayPal: suddenly a credit card is required

Hi,

I've been an Unlimited subscriber for a while and have always paid the monthly fee automatically via my PayPal account, which is linked directly to my bank account. Due to European policy changes my PayPal account became temporarily unlinked from my bank account, until I reaffirmed the link successfully today. In the mean time my Spotify account reverted to Free.

I'm currently trying to re-subscribe to Unlimited, but when I enter PayPal as a payment method the PayPal window suddenly needs me to enter a credit card for direct payment. I don't have one, and I've always paid directly via my bank account - which isn't given as an option anymore :S

Is this payment method no longer available? Or is this a problem specific for me?

Thanks in advance,

Irene

7 Replies

A credit card has always been required to pay via PayPal, however it appears a possible bug in the past allowed people like yourself to subscribe without one. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any way around this to get Unlimited.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yes, it used to work with an unvalidated PayPal without a Credit Card. 

So basically I'm screwed? Wow. That absolutely blows.

You can buy phisycal gift cards from stores. Or get a credit card. (debit card is ok too) Or you can buy gift cards online in a few places, where any Paypal account is accepted.

Thanks, but those are all not feasible options for me. The whole point of having an automatic subscription is to pay a small amount each month without having to go to any trouble for it, rather than having to buy gift cards every time. I'm definitely not getting a credit card just to pay for Spotify.

By the way, I don't understand what's "unvalidated" about my PayPal account - it is literally linked to a bank account in my name, address and birthdate, verified by PayPal and accepted by EVERY other seller that accepts PayPal. The whole point of having PayPal (at least in my country and age group) is to pay for stuff online where you'd otherwise need a credit card.

I meant verified. Sorry for using the bad term. I absolutely agree with you on the point of PayPal. I understand that they require a verified account, to prevent abuses, but requiring a credit card does not make sense...

Investigating this in the past, it appears to be down to how Spotify verify your country using your credit card details (although this confused me because I thought the point of PayPal was the merchant shouldn't be able to see them).

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts