Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Paypal payments keep failing

Paypal payments keep failing

Dear Spotify,

I used to have Spotify Unlimited until 00-07-2011 somewhere you charged my account for 10 euro's Premium while I never accepted any terms or clicked any account/payment associated forms buttons or links. This payment never proceeded and I guess it failed since Paypal said the payment failed and you didnt proceed to charging me for it.

Until now I want to buy spotify Unlimited again through Paypal, and it is not possible. It keeps telling me Payment failed check your ontry settings etc, I have checked everything under paypal and spotify and there is nothing wrong with my Paypal account and the spotify account has the same country and payment settings referring to my PP account.

What do I have to do now?

Order ID Date Product description Price

257592160102011-07-301 month of Spotify Premium€ 9,99
200064880172011-06-011 month of Spotify Unlimited€ 4,99
170766280192011-05-011 month of Spotify Unlimited€ 4,99
151852460122011-04-011 month of Spotify Unlimited€ 4,99
135219560142011-03-011 month of Spotify Unlimited€ 4,99

13 Replies

Hey, have you checked all the Paypal requirements? They're as follows -

1. Your PayPal account must be from the same country as the one set in your Spotify account profile: https://www.spotify.com/account/profile/

2. The PayPal account must be linked to a credit card, and this card must not have expired.

3. Your PayPal account must be verified to enable recurring payments.

PayPal has different ways to verify your account depending on the country in which the account is registered. Here are some links from PayPal on account verification.

Verifying with a bank account: http://tinyurl.com/ydbc75w

Verifying with a credit or debit card: http://tinyurl.com/causru7

Link to verify your account: http://tinyurl.com/c2ey487

Please contact PayPal in order to get more information on how to verify your account in your country.

After verifying these with Paypal, ensure you have enough funds in your account and give it one more try on your subscription page: https://www.spotify.com/account/subscription/

Let me know how you get on.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Thanks for the fast response!

1-My paypal account is the same country as paypal (CHECK) NETHERLANDS

2-Paypal is not linked to a creditcard ( is this optional or?) I never had a credit card and never needed one to buy spotify before, has this changed? ( paypal draws money from my bank and pays YOU. thats how i paid before it got weird and crashed)

3-My paypal account is verified FULLY, my bank is verified FULLY I own no creditcard

I do not understand why these verification problems keep rising since I never had issues with these before I paid 5-6 months of subscriptions and now I am unable to? this does not make any sense to me do you understand what I meen or am I missing out on something? 

My bank has sufficient money and paypal draws money from my bank since they are linked, I am going to try and buy something else on internet and see if there are indeed some problems with my bank-> paypal chain but I highly doubt this since everything is displayed correctly on my paypal account.

I also checked the FAQ and different payment threads and I have already checked everything you posted above since I came across that information a couple of dozen times, are there any other known isses with paypal -> bank -> spotify?

This is the last payment that occured before I stopped using spotify, please also excuse my CAPS in the following sentence but I want to display my distress for what happend and it is sincere:

ALSO THIS PAYMENT WAS NOT REQUESTED NOT ACCEPTED AND NOT INCLINED BY ME OR ANYONE IS THERE ANY INFORMATION ON HOW THIS HAPPENS AND WILL IT HAPPEN AGAIN? I WILL NOT USE SPOTIFY IF YOU JUST BOMB 10 EUROS OFF MY ACC WHEN I DO NOT WANT IT.??????

Bedrijfsnaam: Spotify Finance Ltd    (De ontvanger van deze betaling is Buiten de VS - Gecontroleerd)
E-mail: premium-gbp@spotify.com
Referentie factuurovereenkomst: B-0F748884CG580835H
Omschrijving facturering: 1 month recurring Spotify Unlimited
Gegevens van factuurovereenkomst bekijken

Totaalbedrag: -€9,99 EUR
Kostenbedrag: €0,00 EUR
Nettobedrag: -€9,99 EUR

Bedrag object: €9,99 EUR
BTW: €0,00 EUR
Verzending: €0,00 EUR
Verwerking: €0,00 EUR
Hoeveelheid: 1

Factuuromschrijving: 25759216010
Datum:  30 jul 2011
Tijdstip: 19:54:20 CEST

Verzendadres: Geen adres ingevoerd

Contactgegevens (zakelijk) 

E-mail klantenservice:premium-gbp@spotify.com

Betaalwijze: Directe overschrijving
Betaalbron: €9,99 EUR - ABNAMRO Bankrekening (Bevestigd) x-1167

Betaalbronnen bewerken

Omschrijving: U heeft €9,99 EUR overgemaakt naar Spotify Finance Ltd met PayPal

De bepalingen van de factuurovereenkomst bekijken

That payment appears to have been taken following a 7-day free trial that was started on 23/7/2011 - but we weren't able to take any further payments after that.

To my knowledge, your Paypal account does need to be linked to a credit card in order to pay, though I've heard in some cases that users have been able to successfully pay without this. My advice then would be to keep trying, and let us know how you get on.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

I find this quite strange to only allow creditcard options but proceed with a Paypal form when I want to order a subscription?
Are there any known workarounds to paying without a creditcard? so far it seems impossible from the User Interface at my account profile. 

You can buy Spotify gift cards at Albert Heijn stores in the Netherlands, which you could redeem on your own account. A bit less convenient I realise, but it's one way to do it.

Please see http://www.spotify.com/nl/blog/archives/2011/11/21/spotify-gift-cards-now-available-in-albert-heijn-...

Having the same problem for months now.. Somehow i can pay if i manually put money on my Paypal acc.. But that sucks and takes ages.

These giftcards are stupid and you should offer some option like iDeal (what just about every Dutchman uses).

I have the same problems since last month and I'm from the Netherlands too.. It's a little strange that we have never had any problems the last year and now suddenly several people have this problem. I just want to pay with PayPal and not with those cards you can buy at AH. 

Same problem here since last month. Was able to pay with Paypal(no credit card!) two months in a row then it started to fail.

@vaultdweller wrote:

Same problem here since last month. Was able to pay with Paypal(no credit card!) two months in a row then it started to fail.

A credit card has always been a requirement for using PayPal with Spotify, although as Richard said above it appears that people in certain territories are able to get around that restriction for a period of time. 

Have you tried purchasing a premium eCard for yourself and see if that transaction will go through? (Only available inside europe):

https://www.spotify.com/get-spotify/e-card/

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

It's quite odd that Spotify cares how a payment provider is getting the money from a customer, I thought that is the whole idea about services like Paypal.

Sorry the gift card page you suggesed says:

"Spotify Gift Cards

Spotify Gift Cards are currently not available in your country.

If you want to buy a Spotify Premium pay-as-you-go subscription, you can do so at your local 7-Eleven or ACE Cash Express store."

My country is Germany.

Ik heb het zelfde probleem. Snap er helemaal niks van en wil er vanaf! Ik heb nu blijkbaar 2 accounts, 1 via dit gedoe met Paypal. Het andere account kreeg ik bij mijn abonnement van Hi. Weet jij ondertussen al hoe je dit met Paypal op kan zeggen?

@hildabruin wrote:

Ik heb het zelfde probleem. Snap er helemaal niks van en wil er vanaf! Ik heb nu blijkbaar 2 accounts, 1 via dit gedoe met Paypal. Het andere account kreeg ik bij mijn abonnement van Hi. Weet jij ondertussen al hoe je dit met Paypal op kan zeggen?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂

Sorry for the english reply!

With any account/payment related issues, its best to get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form since they can properly dig into your accounts and see what is going on.

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts