Announcements

Playback on multiple devices at the same time?

Solved!
Highlighted

Re: Playback on multiple devices at the same time?

Casual Listener

I have audio gear from the late 90's - configured into a distributed audio system for the house, hard wired.  I created WIFI input using AUDIO Cast pucks which plug into left and right RCA jacks for say tape in.  I use Spotify to deliver WIFI signal to the distributed amp and my Niles switching spreads the sount throughout the house, almost.  That worked so well that I added a puck to my office/shop stereo and also drive the signal with Spotify.  It would be nice to have both the office and the rest of the house on one Spotify stream, but I understand that I cannot do that, and am not sure that the family plan would even make that something easy to do.  Now, here is the hard part.  I want to have a portable speaker that can carry the same streaming music to other places that are not wired - deck, garage, laundry room.  So I bought a Sonos Play 1 and got spotify to recognize it and play it, which has the quality useful for those places.  But I cannot figure any way to get the sonos speaker to play when I play the distributed audio system.  Any suggestions for third party software or other music providers that have that capability?  Since this problem has been recognized for several years, I wouldn't expect Spotify to do anything about it.

Thank you for reading about my technical problems.

Steve 

Highlighted

Hi Peter, i have a family subscription and use spotify throughout my house using sonos, everyone in  the house uses my computer to play music, when I leave in my car and want to enjoy Spotify from my phone I get the message that spotify is already being used.  My question is if i have a family subscription and only 3 of us are using spotify, is there a way I could use one of the two remaining family member slots to designate my computer as one of the family members?

Highlighted

Regular
Yes just open a new spotify account for your computer and then login to spotify on a browser and add the new computer account to you main/family account. Personal playlists won’t be there but you can follow your main account playlists manually
Highlighted

Casual Listener
Yes that would work except that if you have it on random they won't be
playing the same order. It also won't be sync'd exactly exactly. I want
it to play in two or more rooms (devices) at the same time, e.g. for
parties and other gatherings and this solution does not help with that.
Highlighted

Playback on multiple devices at the same time?

Casual Listener
I have given up trying to sync a Sonos Play speaker with another non-Sonos device; the Sonos M5 speaker, I believe has a line in capability and could be synced using AudioCast pucks.  I am currently playing 3 devices in sync using AudioCast Pucks over my WIFI network.  The devices are a Yamaha amplifier that I use for distributed audio, a Marantz surround sound processor, and a fairly simple sound bar that I can move around.  I plan to upgrade the sound bar with a better powered speaker.  I drive the music with Spotify, and am reasonably pleased with the sound quality.

SUGGESTED POSTS