Premium (Family)

Country

Netherlands

Device

iPhone 6s + Amazon Echo 2nd gen

Operating System

iOS 12

My Question or Issue

Currently my personal Spotify account is hooked up to my Amazon Echo devices at home. However, whenever I'm listening to music at work through my iPhone, and someone at home wants to play music through one of the Echo devices, the music on my iPhone stops. Is there a solution to this? Or should I reserve/connect one of my Spotify family accounts to my Echo devices, even though this would mean I can't control the music with my iPhone when I am at home. Perhaps it would be better to be able to play from one account on different devices at the same time when paying for a Spotify Family subscription, or is there a different solution for this?

3 Replies

Re: Playing on Alexa and iOS at the same time

Hey @Robss21.

Thanks for getting in touch!

It's only possible to listen on one device when using one account. So your music will stop if you start playing somewhere else. You could indeed dedicate a different account for the Echo. That way anyone that is trying to listen, does not have to worry about which account is used to play.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

GuidoModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Robss21
Casual Listener

Hi Guido,

Thank you for your response. 

Indeed I figured I could do this, but the downside of this solution is that I can't use my phone anymore as a remote when playing music, since it isn't paired with my Echo. I was hoping I could find something that got me the best of both worlds / the possiblity to quickly switch accounts within the Spotify app, like is possible in for example Instagram > perhaps this would be good in a future update?

Cheers,

Robin

Highlighted

Hey @Robss21.

Thanks for getting back to us.

There is an idea in the Ideas Exchange about this. Currently the status is Not Right Now but ideas get revisited and reevaluated so we suggest leaving a vote here.

There might be a work around however. It's possible to have a primary and secondary Amazon account linked to the speaker. The first one you link will be the primary account and the second account you link will be the secondary account. So you'll need your own mobile device, your own personal Amazon account and personal Spotify account. A second user will need his/her own device and Amazon + Spotify accounts as well. Voice commands will use the primary account however. So the secondary account will only be able to use the mobile device as a remote.

Hope this works! Let us know if you have further questions and we'll be happy to help.

Have a nice day.

GuidoModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

SUGGESTED POSTS