shanefletch86
Casual Listener

Plan

Family

Country

Australia

Device

Google Home Mini, Pixel3, Samsung S8, Mac laptop

Until recently, my wife & I each paid for seperate Premium accounts. Apart from the cost, everything worked well. We noticed that Family existed, so I upgraded my account, sent my wife an invite, she converted from standalone to a Family member - all fine to this point. We use GHMs, so decided to create a family member for use only on those (so that music played at home doesn't foul our Daily Mix playlists). I added another family member, then things got weird.

Scenario: Wife & I leave the house. Use her phone to play music via car stereo. All good. A few minutes later, family member still at home uses GHMs to play her music (on the account dedicated to those devices) - suddenly what we're listening to in the car cuts off, the music being played at home is played in the car also (while we're 10kms away).

Another symptom: played history bleeding between accounts, causing suggested music to foul between accounts. Family member #3 uses their account, I see changes to my suggested songs in my account (family member #1)  as well as in my played history, etc; even though it's not my account being used.

I thought perhaps I'd just assigned the wrong account to my GHMs, so I removed and re-added it in the Google Home app. Nope, symptoms still occuring.

Has anyone else seen this? Do I need to revert to my previous setup (cancel the account of family member #3, cancel the account I use for my GHMs, revert both remaining family members to standalone premiums)?

3 Replies

Re: Playlists & playback bleeding between Family members

Hey @shanefletch86.

Thanks for getting in touch!

It sounds like you're using eachothers accounts. It's not possible for music, preferences and other info to shift between accounts within a family plan. So log out everywhere and log back in with the correct account.

Keep in mind that certain devices like home speakers can have more than one account logged in. You'll need to toggle between these accounts if your account is not already activated.

Hope this clears some things up. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

GuidoModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Highlighted

shanefletch86
Casual Listener

@Guido

@Guido wrote:

It sounds like you're using eachothers accounts.  

...home speakers can have more than one account logged in...

The Google Home app only allows one account to be signed in at a time. As mentioned in my post, I figured I'd made the mistake you mentioned, so I had already signed the Google Home app out of the spotify account I had created for the purpose, then signed it back in again. During the process, I checked to make sure it was in fact signing in using the correct account.

To be sure, I've just signed out (then back in) the account on my phone, the Google Home app, then my wife's phone. Just in case my phone (where the Google Home app is located) was fouling things somehow, I signed my phone out first, then Google Home, then signed in using Google Home (to be sure I was not in any way linking my account with that for the Google devices), then signed my phone back in again.

I'll have family member #3 sign out and back in again shortly - however I wish to note that FM#3 DOES NOT know either of the passwords (or even which email address was used) for the other accounts - it's not even remotely possible that FM#3 could be signed in as one of the other accounts.

@Guido wrote:

It's not possible for music, preferences and other info to shift between accounts within a family plan. 

I figured that it wasn't designed to do this, as it would be pretty annoying - Dad listens to Metallica, daugher listens to Abba... Dad drives to work, his account decides to play Abba in between a few Metallica tracks...

I'll test over the next few days and report back - I hope that this simple sign out everything/sign in everything process has resolved the issues.

Hey @shanefletch86.

We can imagine that Dancing Queen isn't something you need while riding lightning to work. So we hope it will work now.

Let us know if it's still not working, or if you have further questions and we'll help further.

Have a nice day!

GuidoModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

SUGGESTED POSTS