Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Polish songs in discover weekly

Polish songs in discover weekly

Plan

Premium

Country

Lithuania

My Question or Issue

Hello, I have a problem for a long time. There are 2-5 polish songs in my discover weekly playlist every week.

1. I am not from Poland

2. I am not listening for polish songs either

3. I keep disliking these artists from my discover weekly playlist

4. I've changed my password about 6months ago as Spotify support suggested me. And didn't see any other connections to my account.

Help me please as it gets very annoying.

27 Replies

Hi there @AgneK,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

We'd recommend the following:

• Once you get a recommendation from a polish Artist, go into that Artist Profile on Mobile and select Don't play this from the 3-dot menu. This will block content from that artist.
  • Listen to music through the search option. Listening to songs only through the recommendation playlists like Daily mix, Discover Weekly etc. does not influence the recommendations algorithm. The bigger variety of songs you listen to the more new recommendations you'll get.

If after some time you're still getting recommendations of Polish songs, you can try creating a new account. You can then transfer your music library over following this guide. On the new account your recommendations algorithm will be build from scratch so you'll most likely not get any more recommendations in Polish.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same problem - keep disliking already for almost a year now.... this is frustrating - 10 songs this time

Hi there @LiuVar,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you confirm if you tried to create a new account as mentioned above to see if the issue persists?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hello,

I can confirm that this problem is not solved by creating a new account. In Lithuania, all my friends have the same problem. Maybe something is wrong with spotify location selection? As Lithuania and Poland are neighbors.

I have not tried this, cause I am not sure how I can transfer my Family plan to the new one, as I am the main payer.

Hi folks,

Thank you for your replies. 

@AgneK The location can certainly be a factor to take into consideration. In this case we suggest you take a look at this idea, which suggests the possibility to exclude certain languages from recommendations and personalized playlists.

@LiuVar For now we only want to test if the behavior changes with a different account. You can create a Free one just to see how it works and, depending on what happens, we'll continue from there.

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

Hi,

I am from Lithuania too and I have the same problem. Spotify should really look into this instead of suggesting workarounds like creating a new account. 

Looks like their algorithm is broken.

Hey @waldokas,

Thanks for the post.

The algorithm recommends songs based on the music you listen to and what is most popular with others that listen to similar music.

We'd suggest listening to more music via the Search option. You can also like songs that appeal to you and hide songs that you don't enjoy on your Discover Weekly and Release Radar.

Note that if your account is linked to a communal device, like a home speaker/ TV to which other users have access and can listen to different music, you will get recommendations based on what has been streamed on those devices as well.

Hope you find this information helpful 🙂

AlexModerator

Hello,

I would also suggest to look into this problem instead of suggesting workarounds.

I’ve been hiding polish songs and artists all 2021, but they still keep popping in my discover weekly playlist.

I listen a lot of music, 40k minutes in 2021 and unfortunately your suggested workarounds don’t work.

Same problem and I'm in the Netherlands. I most definitely will not go through the hassle of replacing my account (a family plan carrier) because of a bug in Spotify. How about Spotify gets its act together instead?

And creating a new account doesn’t solve the problem. As I mentioned before, all my Lithuanian friends have the same problem :).

I have listened to 2 or 3 polish songs in the past on Spotify, out of 3000+
songs that I have had there.
And in my Discovery I am getting like 20 per cent Polish songs?

The algorithm of neighborhood is wrong, please think about changing it, not
suggesting workarounds

Just here to say that this is also a problem for me and I'm located in the UK. I have been actively trying to block all of these recommendations by choosing the options "I don't like this song" and "I don't like this artist" for several weeks now but the problem persists, i.e., my Discover Weekly and Release Radar lists keep getting spammed with Polish folk(?) music.

That said, I think that there might be a connection there which is another reason for making this post. Specifically, I listen to Behemoth a lot which is a polish black/death metal band. Most of their songs are in English but they do have a few ones in Polish.

Could this be the problem? Does anyone else with this problem also listen to Behemoth (or maybe another Polish band)? If this is the culprit, this remains a problem of course because the songs suggested are folk(?) music and not metal so this shouldn't be happening.

I have same problem. 

I have same problem for 3+ years now.
All the support could offer is resetting my Premium Duo Account that destroyed my algorithm completely and I had to work on it again. 
And today I got 2 polish songs in my discover weekly. Again. 
So there is no solution that Spotify could offer here. 
I'm from Latvia. 
At least take my advice and never reset your account for this issue - you will ruin your algorithm for nothing and they will tell you "sorry, not sorry". 

Same here,
Dear spotify, can't your robots detect user country? 

Hi,

Same problem here, 8 out of my 30 latest Discover Weekly mix are Polish!  Increasingly I’m getting Polish songs in my mix.
I’m in Australia and enjoy a range of music, including foreign. My preferred foreign tracks are mostly French, Ukrainian, Scandinavian, however none of these are represented in the Weekly mix.

There seems to be a problem in the algorithm and I’m not interested in spending lots of my time trying to solve it through workarounds, in a service I pay for, when clearly there’s a problem on the Spotify end.

Spotify, please fix the issue.

Same problem in Finland. Polish music in weekly recommendations. Just this week I had the pleasure to be fed another polish song I have disliked before. It shows as grey on the list and with the symbol, that indicates it should not be playing but there it is. The "don't play this song" option does nothing. The disliked song shows up on recommendations again in a few months and plays just like everything else. Sometimes disliked songs appear grey and with the symbol, but continue to play as normal. Sometimes, they appear normal.

I have had a premium account for over ten years now and listen a LOT of music. Nevertheless, polish rock is not my cup of tea nor has it ever been. And with this amount of music I keep consuming and searching, the suggestion to listen more is a joke.

18 months have passed and spotify did nothing about this issue. I get very annoyed every week as 50% of my discover weekly are polish songs 😡😡😡😡

Suggested posts