Premium Duo incorrect country

Plan

Premium

Country

Italy

Operating System

Android Oreo

My Question or Issue

I activated the Premium Duo offer because it says that it makes you share the premium experiences with someone you live with. I put the exact address and invited someone to do the same. Now, the person cannot get through because it says my account is set on a different country, which is Spain where my payment details are. I've been living in Italy for months now and planning to stay but I don't want to change the card details here since my cards are working perfectly fine here. Let me know how to proceed. Thanks! 

15 Replies

Hey @yronimuz ,

Thanks for reaching out.

If you permanently move to another country or region, you need to update your payment method to one that's issued there:

1. Log in to your account page
  2. Under Your plan, click UPDATE next to your payment method. 
  3. Enter a new payment method that was issued in your new country or region. 

The changes will take effect from your next billing date. 

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with. 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi, 

Thank you for replying. I know that these are canned responses because I already read this from the help page. What I am asking is isn't there any way that this can be helped aside from changing the payment details? Since what Spotify is only asking is the home address, which does not make sense if the account is being paid by in another country. 

Hey @yronimuz ,

If you've permanently moved to another country or region and want to invite a family member/roommate to the plan who lives in the new country/region, the only way to do that is by updating your payment method to one that's issued there.

Also, the user on the free version that's got the invite can only change their country settings to the country their actually in (the new country/region, in your case).

MaximSpotify Star

I have the same problem as reported in this thread  , I created my account when I was living in Spain (payment with Spanish bank account) but then moved to Belgium with my partner. He created the account in Belgium (country Belgium) having the payment with a Belgian bank card. My problem is that the only bank card I am entitled to have is a debit card (bancontact) with which it´s not possible to pay online, therefore I still need to keep my payment with my Spanish card.

I have read several solution, but if none of them work for a couple? Could you please have a thought on this conditions and provide a solution for this? It looks there are few people having the same problem.

Hey @bcasador ,

Thanks for reaching out.

If you don't have a payment method that's been issued in your new country, you, unfortunately, won't be able to get the account's country setting updated.

MaximSpotify Star

Dear @Maxim,

thanks for your reply,

indeed I cannot get my country updated but my boyfriend has a Spanish bank card, he tried to add a new payment method but again the error message says something like ´Your payment method and the country do not match´. Obviously because he created the account in Belgium but now wants to add the Spanish bank card to fix the issue.

We have end up with two duo accounts (one my boyfriend, one myself) which means paying twice without having the possibility to rollback our account to the premium personal account at least as we were before to pay a bit less.

Would it be possible to provide a solution for us ?

Hey @bcasador ,

Just to clarify, are you both currently in Belgium or Spain?

Let me know.

MaximSpotify Star

Dear Maxim, 

many thanks for your quick replies. That´s very much appreciated.

we are both currently living together in Belgium.
These are  our settings in Spotify:
My country = Spain , My payment method = Spanish bank card

My Partner country = Belgium , My partner´s payment method = Belgian bank  card 

My partner is not able to add a new Spanish bank card to update his payment method and therefore country.

Best regards

Hey @bcasador ,

Thanks for letting me know.

So, if you both would like to access the Premium features through Premium Duo, what's preventing you from cancelling your subscription, wait until your account reverts back to Free, then update your account's country setting as described here?

That way, you can join your partner's Duo plan. 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

Dear Maxim,

we can't do that in that order, I don't have a Belgium bank card to pay online.

I have cancelled my subscription already to return to Free, now my partner is going to also cancel his subscription, then he will update the payment method to a Spanish bank account (I hope this works since he wasn't able to do it with the duo account) and then I will join his duo account
I will post here if he can't update the bank card to a Spanish one

Best regards

Hey @bcasador ,

Thanks for getting back.

He won't be able to update his payment method to one that's been issued in Spain since he's located in Belgium and his country setting is also set to Belgium.

I've already presented you with a solution that should certainly work.

If you are both in Belgium and he's on Premium Duo (paid for by a payment method issued in Belgium) and you are on Free and have changed your country setting to Belgium, he can just invite you to Premium Duo and you can accept the invite.

MaximSpotify Star

So if you just paid you will have to wait 1 month.

What**bleep**

Hey @BettyAlora,

That's right, but it wouldn't be any different if you were able to update the payment method directly, as the country setting would only update on your next billing date. 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

I'm having same issue with duo.

I can't set up second account because I'm repeatedly getting a message to say both accounts must be the same address.

Both accounts are the same address, so I'm really confused....

Can anyone advise???

Thanks

Fi

@Fifi0,

To ensure that we can offer you the best help that we can, could you please create your own thread? Doing so is easy. Simply select the appropriate board here, and then select “Start a Topic.”

Thank you very much!

MaximSpotify Star

Suggested posts