Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Random Characters as a Username

Random Characters as a Username

When I signed up for Spotify, it asked me to write a username. I put it as "Seventhcatalyst," and it shows up as so on the desktop player. However, on other synced devices like my phone and my PS4, as well as on the online Spotify website, it shows up as a seemingly random stream of characters: "muxgj8vz5xkeh1l1dhz962xr5." I can't log into Spotify as my username "Seventhcatalyst." I HAVE to use the random stream. It's really aggravating and since I just made and paid for this account, I'd really hate to have to close it already and lose everything I've done so far. Can someone change my account name please?

EDIT: I did NOT sign up using Facebook, I signed up as a new account directly on Spotify's Android app.

10 Replies

Hey @Seventhcatalyst

That string of characters you've seen isn't something you need to remember. You can simply sign in with your email address. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I understand I can login with my email, but why is spotify asking you to choose a username when you sign up if they are just going to disregard it? its really frustrating! And no, Im not going to link my spotify account with facebook! why on earth would I do that?!

Soooo no answer to OP's question?

@hsyvertsen @whoisthatnigga

You can fill out the contact form, and someone from Spotify should be able to help you change it within 24 hrs. Don't forget to check your spam folder for responses as they may end up there.

If you get an automated email directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

Hi,
I have been working on this issue with Spotify Help and have been told there is very little we can do about it, but if the community does not like it Spotify may change their stance.
I was then directed to submit an "Idea", and told that if it gets enough votes Spotify may adress this issue.
Please look here for more details and to vote for Spotify to stop changing people's usernames to random characters:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Don-t-force-us-to-use-gibberish-as-Usernames/idi-p...

I just opened up a premium family account. My username was chosen for my by spotify as random characters (see my ucername on this post). I followed instructions on help to change my username - Cancel account and open a new one. So now i have an account paid for one month with a random user name and invited family members. 

This is frustrating and detracting from my spotify experience.

@

Hey @a3xugkf9a2zu5nc

You should fill out the contact form, and someone from Spotify will be happy to help you within 24 hrs. Don't forget to check your spam folder for responses as they may end up there.

If you get an automated email directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, you can tweet @SpotifyCares or message Spotify Cares Facebook.

osorniosSpotify Star

YOU CAN ONLY CHOOSE USERNAME ON THE IOS APP. IF YOU CREATE IT ON DESKTOP YOU GET THE RANDOM NUMBERS. DO IT. CHECK IT OUT

test

Suggested posts