Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Related Artist tab not appearing for several bands

Solved!

Related Artist tab not appearing for several bands

Their are certain band that have no related artists topic appearing on certain bands pages. how many plays does a band need before the related artist tab appear on their so artist radio? I tried two bands elctrikchair 's artist radio doesnt work due to not have the related artist tab yet At the Skylines does even though their related artist tab is missing. How long before the Related Artist section appears? How many plays and listeners does it need to get one?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

As mentioned above, those pages are generated dynamically from people's listening habits, but it does take quite a bit of data for the pages to be generated. Unfortunately it does mean some smaller bands really struggle to get those pages.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

14 Replies

I'm sorry. I don't have any figures for you. It does take some time for listening data to build up. I guess it requires a certain amount of users for a start. I presume that Related Artists becomes active once it is full - ie there is a whole page of artists to display.

All I can say is, don't worry, it does appear after a while, even for the most obscure.

Ok gottcha then why does at the skylines work when there are no related artists?

Good question. I don't think the Artist Radio uses Related Artist info anymore. Its algorithm and data comes from a service called Echonest.

How do I add bands to it so they can have the artist radio work?

I don't think you can add bands to it. It collects information all on its own 🙂

Do you know how to use it? I looked at it and I was lost lol

Echonest, as far as I know, does not accept input from individuals. It finds it's own way of collecting information. In short, there isn't any way of telling the system that you think Band A is related to Band B.

Well Echonest sucks because they are not even close on many related artists. They wont accept input, but they should because they are clueless!!

Hi, I'm having the same related artists issue with couple of bands.

Both bands have 11 followers and less than 1000 listens, so why no related artists displaying with (Screenshot) ss02?

Screenshots attached to better illustrate.

Thanks,

J

ss01.png
ss02.png
Marked as solution

As mentioned above, those pages are generated dynamically from people's listening habits, but it does take quite a bit of data for the pages to be generated. Unfortunately it does mean some smaller bands really struggle to get those pages.

Peter

Does submitting tracks to playlists in Spotify apps like SoundDrop help generate user listening data to increase the chance of the Related Artists tab appearing?

I would assume so, from what I have been able to find out the system appears to use real listening history from users and also data from playlists.

Peter

I understand the piling up of data reasoning, but I've been listening to the band Ho99o9 recently and up until yesterday they had an extensive 'Related Artists' section, but this has now disappeared. Am I right to assume Spotify must have just changed the algorithm that selects when 'Related Artists' appear? Any ideas?

Cheers.

related artist tab is a joke! We are a trip hop ambient band yet we got put with Country music.

We've actually asked for it to be removed twice as it kinda kills your credibilty 

Plus Ive seen bands with hardly no follwers and plays related to Nirvana, Iggy Pop and Blondie. 

Please sort thi out Spotify.

Follow for a follow

Suggested posts