Plan

Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

iPhone, iPad, Google Home Mini, Amazon Echo Dot

Operating System

My Question or Issue

Until recently it has been my primry account that has been connected to the smart speakers in our home (Alexa and Google Home).

My wife regularly requests songs on these deices, as well as my daughter  recently learning how to use the smart speakers to ask for songs (like Crazy Shark and Disney).

As I pay for a family licence, I'm planning on creating a login for these devices which will be used throughout the house. It will also have the explicit content filter on.

How can I go about resetting all my main account so that my recommendations aren't skewed by my daughter and wife's taste?

4 Replies

Hey there @n8udd,

Thanks for reaching out here and welcome to the Community!

If your Spotify account has been used by your family members, their listening activity will be reflected in the recommendations you get.

While there's currently no way to manually reset your listening history and recommendations, we'd suggest you add your +VOTE to this idea, if this is something you'd like to see implemented in the future. 

You can read more about how the Idea Exchange works here.

If you have a Premium Family plan, each family member should have their own Spotify account to listen to their music. In case your wife and daughter already have their own Spotify accounts, they can easily join your Premium Family subscription. If not, they'll need to create a new account before they can be added to the plan.

Head here, for full info about Premium Family.

In order for all of you to listen to your own music, you should also make sure you have your family members' accounts linked to the smart speakers in your home. Check out how in this Spotify Answer for Alexa devices and respectively this one for Google Home.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know if you have any other questions 🙂

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

That doesn't really help at all to be honest...

we'd suggest you add your +VOTE to this idea

That idea was set to "Not Right Now" over 3 years ago, with no update from Spotify since!!!

My wife has her own Spotify account which is alread associated to my family account, and I could do the same with my (3 year old) daughter, but it would appear from the link you have provided...

everyone needs to have their own Google account linked to their own Spotify account, which is subsequently linked to their own Google Home device through the Google Home app

So it doesn't appear that we can change between accounts using voice control of the Google Home

Also neither of those solutions actually solve the problem that I presented, in that I don't want my wife's or daughter's past music selections from the family device to appear in my history, or to be used to populate the suggestions.

I have to say that if there's no way for me to utilise Spotify to it's fullest, I'll probaby end up moving to Apple music, as this is extremely poor.

Even if it's an admin that resets it in the database, there is no reason why my account history shouldn;t be

Not at all useful. Complete failure of Spotify to respond to a genuine concern that over 3,000 users have actively requested and a natural consequence of a family moving from one stage to another. And don’t get me started on the rubbish Shuffle feature for playing albums. I now wish I had picked a different provider. 

Unfortunately, an account cannot be reset or wiped clean. The best answer is to start a separate one for yourself so that your recommendations will not be inappropriate to your taste.

Suggested posts