Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Roku Spotify app: Playlists not an option anymore (playlists gone)

Solved!

Roku Spotify app: Playlists not an option anymore (playlists gone)

I have never had an issue with my Roku Spotify app before. I am running it on multiple Roku devices (a Roku 3 and Roku streaming sticks). As of today, I opened up the app on the Roku streaming stick and there was no playlist option - just "search" and "what's new". All of my playlists have gone. I am able to view them just fine from my phone app. I uninstalled the Roku app and reinstalled but still no playlist option. Help!!! I have tried the same on my Roku 3 and it still does not have an option to view playlists.

147 Replies

No thanks to Roku, but I came up with a solution for my setup.  My Windows 10 computer is hooked up to by wire to my modem which is also wireless.  (My computer and Roku 3 share the same router, though only the Roku 3 is wireless).  The audio of my Roku3 is hooked into my stereo system so I can hear it (as well as Roku movies) in surround sound.

1. Open Spotify on my computer.  If your computer has speakers start playing a song just to know you’ve got that working properly.
2. On my Roku 3, go to System, and select  Mirroring (Enable it)
3. Back to my computer, go to “Type here to search” and enter ‘Project”
4. Go to the “Project to Second Screen”, then I click the Duplicate button.
5. Click on the text for "Connect to a Wireless Display".
6. One of the devices should be your Roku, select that one.
7. If all worked well you should now see the computer’s Spotify screen on your TV, but sound isn’t yet passing through to the Roku.
8. On the bottom bar of your computer screen, right click on the speaker icon, and select Playback Devices.
9. On the Sound popup window you should now see a “Digital Devices” choice, which may have never been present before.
10. Select the ‘Digital Devices’ option, set it as the Default, then click OK.  The sound should stop coming from computer speakers, and switch to the Roku’s speaker system.
11. I now have to make selections to play from your Computer, but at least I can play my Playlists through.  Takes a bit longer to set this up, but not bad if planning to play music for an hour
No thanks to Roku, but I came up with a solution for my setup.  My Windows 10 computer is hooked up to by wire to my modem which is also wireless.  (My computer and Roku 3 share the same router, though only the Roku 3 is wireless).  The audio of my Roku3 is hooked into my stereo system so I can hear it (as well as Roku movies) in surround sound.

Yeah but then you need to have a computer involved. I like to play my
playlists on the Roku without having to get my laptop out. I don't have a
desktop.

You say a "fraction of the functionality of the phone app"- The fraction I
am getting right now is 0/100. Literally cannot play any music I want on
it- no search, no playlist. I wonder if we can do a class action suit.
This has to have been mentioned in the contract about what we get for our
money. If it no longer functions, they should be messaging all of us with
this information and offering us reimbursement for the time it hasn't
worked. But instead, we need to google around to find out what the **bleep** is
wrong while customer service gives us the runaround.
Terrible business practice. They should be embarrassed. Everyone who
complained about this should tweet/FB message them about this publicly and
share with friends.

I guess Roku must be a small percentage of their streams each day. Else
they would care more. I am sure if the problem was on iPhone it would be
fixed in a day or two. It's the way it is boys. Money drives the
decisions. Get used to it.

Of course. I actually wonder if they are making a totally new app and are
just letting the other one die while this is happening. It would be nice
if they were up front about ANY of this.

Of course. I actually wonder if they are making a totally new app and are
just letting the other one die while this is happening. It would be nice
if they were up front about ANY of this.

This is ridiculous. All the songs I listen to are on the playlists!!

Amazon Fire TV and Amazon Music are looking better every day that Spotify ignores this issue. It is a total disrespect for the customers who pay for Spotify.

How much time did you waste trying to figure out why Spotify Playlists weren't working on your Roku? Why didn't Spotify tell customers the Roku App had the playlist function removed when they did it? Why did they wait months before telling us? Why won't Spotify tell us what is going on?

I am having the same issue. I just went with Premium, and am in the free month, primarily so I could use the Spotify app on my Roku 3.  My receiver, speakers, TV, etc are all integrated and I wanted to access Spotify through my Roku.  Unfortunately without access to my playlists or My Music the Roku based system is so limited it isn't worth $10 a month.  I will cancel my subscription by the end of the free month if this isn't fixed.

Same issue. For me the main reason to have premium account is to access all playlists etc via Roku to Home Theatre. 

Any updates, Spotify? It's been at least 2 months now.

I have have a similar issue as well.  I like listening to Roku in our vehicle, as do my daughters.  We now have a ROKU streaming stick and it is upsetting that we can't use it in the house.

This may lead me to find another solution to listening to music in the house.

2 months, longer for others and still no update since March the 5th, COMPANY IS A **bleep**ING JOKE, ROBBING PEOPLES MONEY AND PROVIDING A **bleep** APP AND CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same problem issue and Spotify's unwillingness to answer our questions in this forum, or fix the issue. I fixed this myself by canceling Spotify and switched over to YouTube Red. Works on all devices.

How many songs does it have?

I'm about to switch as well. Should have any songs that have been uploaded to YouTube.

Basically, Spotify for Roku has been killed.  The official position on this offers no certainty that anyone is even working on it, says playlist were "removed" (i.e. an action was taken, not a bug), and without this feature not many people who have built their music listening around Spotify will use it on Roku.  I won't.

So, Spotify removed Playlists from their Roku Channel.  However, there is a suggestion for them to implement either "Cast To" or Spotify Connect.  Please go there and vote it up! It needs votes badly.

Hello. I am disappointed to learn that Spotify playlists are no longer available via ROKU. I upgraded to Spotify Premium so I could listen to my music over high end tower speakers on my ROKU equiped stereo system. I was willing to put up with the very clunky app since I could access my Spotify playlists. Now I can't even mirror my playlists from another device. And after searching various forums it appears that there is no current plan to remedy this situation. In addition, I never recieved any kind of proactive notification about this change which, given my use of ROKU to access Spotify, I would have thought could have been done in a targeted fashion. A poorly thought out approach to customer service IMO.

I am left to wonder why I am now paying for premium service. I think it's time to research how to convert my Spotify playlist to Pandora, and change my subscription.

I just cancelled my premium subscription due to this issue.  This seems like it should be a relatively simple fix if Spotify truly cares about it, but it is apparent they do not due to their lack of responsiveness to customer concerns about the loss of this feature.

This was the feature most often used by my family and without it a Spotify subscription is no longer worth it.  If Spotify addresses the issue and restores this feature to their Roku App, I will likely renew our subscription.

Suggested posts