Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Roku Spotify app: Playlists not an option anymore (playlists gone)

Solved!

Roku Spotify app: Playlists not an option anymore (playlists gone)

I have never had an issue with my Roku Spotify app before. I am running it on multiple Roku devices (a Roku 3 and Roku streaming sticks). As of today, I opened up the app on the Roku streaming stick and there was no playlist option - just "search" and "what's new". All of my playlists have gone. I am able to view them just fine from my phone app. I uninstalled the Roku app and reinstalled but still no playlist option. Help!!! I have tried the same on my Roku 3 and it still does not have an option to view playlists.

147 Replies

I had signed up for the 30 day trial but also canceled my premium membership too. I decided to go premium in order to use my Roku to stream music to my home sound system which is integrated into my TV and Roku.  Hated the Spotify app on Roku, especially not having access to My Music or playlists.  That was the whole reason for going premium.

I have been a Spotify Premium user for several years and have used it on my computers, Nokia Symbian phones and Nokia windwosphones. I have been very happy with it and was pleased when I got my first Roku that there was a Spotify app and it had all my playlists. I was surprised to find when I used it recently that it has been dumb downed and no longer has my playlists, indeed any playlists.

It is pretty poor that it hasn't been sorted, but its not a deal breaker for me at the moment. I can effectively stream from my phone or computer to my Roku 3. alternatively just play from my phone or laptop via bluetooth to my Sony speaker base.

having said that I listen and watch a large amount of music by the Youtube app on Roku now.

Get your F*#king act together Spotify....I've been waiting for more than 6 months for some resolve on this! First it was the Rdio app that stopped working on the Roku, and now its Spotify. How many people need to cancel before you guys are like "duuuhhhh, we should look into this now....mmmmkay?"

For for future reference, a fantastic app on the Roku is the Rueters News app - absolutely stunning, aim to be like that!

To all,

I have given up waiting for their solutions and found my own. I now smart
cast from my devices to roku which has two benefits.

1. I get to use my devices app which is the only working Spotify app.

2. I get to use my device with is beautiful GUI as the interface or remote.

Sounds like you found a solution. What app are you using to cast to the Roku?

I too have setup an alternative method for listening to Spotify on roku. Using my laptop with windows 10, i Simply screen cast my computer with roku and drag the Spotify desktop app over to the tv screen. Done and done

Why not run the more robust desktop version from PC to TV.  I do that and you get powerful interface.  Mine uses HDMI.  Spotify and Roku lack of a  grown-up biz arrangement is ridiculous. Time to fix it is waaaaaay overdue.

THIS IS MALARKY. I would use stronger language but i am trying to maintain a professional tone. I am cancelling Spotify now that i can't listen to music on my Roku. I am so disappointed. They noticed issues, and rather than trying to fix them, they just remove the feature? That is really unprofessional. They need to fix their leadership. I'm sure other customers will follow suit.  Amazon Unlimited is only $7.99/month and has all the same music and functionality... and a working Roku app with playlist functionality. Switching ASAP.

Spotify, please get your s**t together and reassess your lives. You need it.

I believe that with the Amazon service and Roku app you can only see music you have purchased. Is this true? Can you see and stream music you haven't purchased?

This is what Spotify support says about the chances of updating the Roku Spotify app:

Info: Thanks for choosing to chat with us. An advisor will be with you shortly.
Info: Hey there! Thanks for contacting Spotify Support. You're chatting with Daniel M.

NOTE: So we don't get disconnected, please do not navigate away to another browser or app during this chat.
You: I only listen to music on my home entertainment system centered around ROKO - not iOS, my Windows 10 computer nor Mac, not my car etc. You have an extremely poor app on ROKU - no playlists etc. There has not been an upgrade for years. Spotify Premium is not supported on AppleTV. Please confirm that there will be a proper app upgrade soon for serious music listeners. Please do not push music lovers to Apple Music etc.

Info:
Daniel M:

I know it's annoying if you can't enjoy your tunes. Let me just take a look backstage so I can see what's going on here.

Daniel M:

Alright. It looks like you're not the only one who's getting this issue. No worries, we've alerted our developers to this issue and they're investigating the matter.

We appreciate your feedback as it helps inform our decisions going forward, although please be aware we’re not able to confirm if or when your specific request will be addressed.

I recommend installing the most recent version of the Spotify app to guarantee you’re rocking all the latest updates. Also, feel free to check out our Community at https://community.spotify.com/, where we keep everyone informed about new releases and any other announcements. You can also submit feedback and suggest new features there.

You: I have the most recent version. In fact, there has been no change for years, except that you had playlists available at one time. I follow the community very closely, and hundreds of people there say the same - to date there has been nothing from Spotify.
Daniel M:

Still there?

Daniel M:

I do apologize for the inconvenience but don't worry though, our developers are working on this.

You: This is the same answer given to everyone in the community - for years. Can you report any progress?
Daniel M:

You can keep an open eye on the community page. But this should be fix in no time.

You: I get reports from the community daily. As I say people are waiting, dropping out. There is definitely a limit.
You: Do you have specific knowledge that Spotify is taking this seriously?
Daniel M: As of the moment, all we can do is wait for any accouncements. An email should be sent to you as well.
You: Thanks, but this is not very reassuring. Bye
Daniel M:

You're welcome. Have a good one.

Info: Thank you for chatting with us! You know where to find us the next time you need help.

I am not sure why this is marked as the 'sollution' given that it is just another person bitching and moaning.  You offered nothing new to the conversation.  

Spotify has acknowledged that there is an issue.  Anyone with any common sense should be able to realize that if they are able to provide playlists on literally every other device, then it may not actually be Spotify's problem. Software companies are able to block features to API users.  It is likely that Roku is not allowing this feature to be available to them. 

But none the less, use whichever platform you want.  When Roku realizes that they can do this to Amazon Music as well, are you going to jump shipt to Tidal? 

Is there any chance Spotify is going to fix this? Pandora app is so superior.

This is what mine has looked like until today. Now the "Now Playing" feature is gone as well. Seems you can only look up and play songs one by one. 

**bleep**.  I'm impressed that you didn't smash your computer in frustration

@JurisP wrote:

The real solution is to give spotify the finger and vote with your dollars with their competitors. Based on my recent engagement with their support team, I don't see that they care at all about resolving this, ever. They've lost me as a customer, and that saddens me, because I really like their android app and their software dev model. Buh Bye Spotify. (Hey, that rhymes)

This is UNACCEPTABLE. Spotify needs to fix this. Why do I have an account if I can't use it on Roku or Amazon Prime? Bulls***

This has been a problem for almost a year now!!

I thought it was me.  I'm so happy to know others are having dame issue.  I dont understand why no response from Spotifly.

I gave up with Spotify months ago now. Deezer is incomparably better.

Loks good on PC, but I can't find a Deezer Channel with any of my ROKU
Canada devices.

Suggested posts