Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sharing Local Files On PLaylists?

Sharing Local Files On PLaylists?

I have a few playlists that friends are attempting to listen to, but a few of my local files are not visible on the playlist.  Is there a way to make the local files visible for friends to listen to as well?  I am nervous about allowing them to sign in on my computer, and syncing their iphone to spotify....Would that erase their playlists they previously made?

Any help would be..well, helpful 🙂

Thanks! 

6 Replies

Your local files will not show up for others if you have made the playlist public.

Local files are located on your computer's hard drive. Usually if Spotify has the song, it will show up as streamable, but it would stream from Spotify. If Spotify doesn't have the song in their library, then your friends can't stream it. People can't stream local files that someone has stored on their computer.

If their iPhone is already synced to their Spotify library, then things could go wrong.

The best thing to do would be to send your friends the local file on your computer so they will have access to the same song when the import it into their iTunes library.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, I struggled trying to figure out how I would explain this. Smiley Happy

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Actually, Matt, some users can play local files, of others' library, if you make a playlist, of your local files. Some have been able, to play mine and I have been able, to play someone else's. That is part, of the point, to make Spotify, one source, to play all your music, from. I saw something, that you posted, about how you add local files, elsewhere. It showed, that you get both your computer and device, on the same network and make a playlist, of all your local files. Then download all the songs and all the (same) local files, on other playlists will no longer be grayed out. I had done it, the way, that you stated, but it isn't how it's supposed, to work. Before my computer had stopped working, for a while, I just saw all my personal songs, in the computer application, under local files and the ones, that I added, to playlists would not be grayed out, when I was, in Wi-Fi. Now, it only works, the other way. So, I have, to keep the playlists, of local files downloaded, to have the individual local file songs, on other playlists able, to play (even in Wi-Fi). That just takes up, more room. I never had, to even have a playlist, of all my local files. I only moved the individual local file songs, to playlists. What happened and how do I get it fixed?

Follow me

And I STILL don't know how to share local files on a playlist. MadmanOnWheels didn't make any sense, and there are no other tips.

And you, don't put that I didn't make any sense. Yes, I did, and it was my experience that I've had with local files, which had previously been different to the way it is, now, which Matt posted about. Who are you to invalidate my post and my experience with local files? Nobody, that's who. I tried helping someone, here, but this person refused to ask what he or she was needing help with. It would have been too difficult and would not make sense for me to break down everything that I have dealt with, regarding local files to reiterate it all, especially when that person's issue might be one aspect. Also, you can't share local files. The only thing that I have experienced was someone being able to play a local file of mine, on my playlist, on his end. It might have been a glitch. You can't share them, because that might involve piracy and that's the reason Spotify has local files, which is to get people to pay for songs to fill in the gaps, where Spotify has those songs missing, or unavailable (grayed out). If you have a question about local files, ask it, but don't be a loser, like these other people have and you just were. Stay on subject and be a decent human being, or get off the forum.

Follow me

I'm sorry that you have a hard time reading. What do you have about local files to add?

Follow me

I'm on the spotify forums here, right? Not gbatemp? This feels like a gbatemp argument...

Suggested posts