Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sharing playlists with family members

Solved!

Sharing playlists with family members

Upgraded recently to a family account and would like to share playlists with family members. When I am using the "share" option I can't select any friends to share with. I am not using sign-in via Facebook and I don't intent to do so. Any other way to share with my family?

84 Replies

Hi All

1. in the application , search (top left corner, where you search for songs)  for the family member. The syntax is "spotify:user:uername" (repalce "username" with user name of the family member)

2. their acconut will pop up: click to subscribe

3. select them on your friends list to see all their playlists that are not private

4. you can copy /paste songs from any of their playlists or copye the entire playlist to you

This worked for me, but still has some oddities about "following". I can't find any family members when I search friends in the following area. But, by following a specific playlist I'm able to find that user by clicking on who created the play list. Honestly, in this day and age of social internet experience, it's insane that the premier music service can't figure out how to share music any better. I hope Spotify improves the functionality of at least having a family account be able to have better and easier control of what and how things are shared. I just switched to Spotify from Napster/Rhapsody and their system was much better. A single email to log in for all accounts then allowing a maximum number of instances that user can be simultaneously logged in. Still clunky, but way better than what Spotify currently has. 

Here we are in 2017 and this issue is still not fixed. Sharing playlists with family members should be a basic option. It should not require a Facebook account. I dont do Facebook.

Is this ever going to be fixed? How do I open a support ticket for this?

So it's January 2017 and there is STILL no fix for this!! Thankfully the share link worked but seriously Spotify I'm paying over $200 per year for this "service" and I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one who expects basic functionality! 

NO KUDOS for you!

Dear Spotify: Add another recently upgraded Family Plan member to the list of customers disgruntled over this missing simple feature.  Hop off your Facebook bandwagon and add this feature!!!  It's not that hard to do, and you are annoying your cusotmers by NOT doing it.

Is there anyone at Spotify monitoring this feature request?

CEO are you stupid? Developers are you stupid? Really?

This kind of thinking and design that only facebook users can share music/follow family members is moronic!

Why don't you just offer Spotify music subscriptions to facebook users only? Oh, let me guess! Its because you would be limiting your income potential because the entire world and its people are not all on facebook. RIGHT!

So why the **bleep** would you limit paying customers to sharing playlists right through their soptify accounts? NO FACEBOOK REQUIRED! Are you programmers that stupid they can't figure out how to do this? BASIC...

STUPID IS WHAT STUPID DOES!

How about if I sell all your employees at spotify a new car and when they want another person to drive the car, they all must have a facebook accounts. Sounds STUPID RIGHT?

I did not purchase facebook to play my music, I purchased spotify. How about you pay me for setting up facebook accounts for all my family members just so we can share our playlists with our family members under our family plan?

time to check out tidal to see if you can do this... if so.. buh bye spotify...

Hi

I am not sure the developers are looking for this. You can see earlier that
there is a relatively simple (once you know what to do) solution to the
problem

aranyosa,

Are you a spotify family account subscriber and sharing playlists between
family members?

Hello.  So I just left Napster to join Spotify premium family for 14.99 per month.  We do not use Facebook so I fully expect for my family to share playlists with each other within the Spotify app NOT Facebook as some family members do not have a Facebook account.  Spotify please make this happen.  Honestly this should already be something we could do...share playlist within family members 

I've been paying for a family premium account for a year now (from memory) and still can't use it because of this omission. Absolutely crazy programming and money down the drain for me.

Marked as solution

This workaround is fairly easy.

On desktop ctrl-click (Mac) or right-click (PC) on the playlist you want to share. Select 'Copy Playlist Link' and paste that into an email to the family member. When they open the link, they can then 'follow' that playlist.

Or

On the app find the playlist, click the 3 dots at the top right, select 'share' then 'Copy Playlist Link' which copies it to your clipboard. Paste that into a text message to the family member, which they can open on their phone and select 'follow' as before in the app.

I don't know if this is a recent upgrade, as Spotify is always asking to dowload upgrades on my Iphone, or if it's been already put here by another user

On my Spotify premium family plan the only way I have been able to share playlist, is 

going into the play list__pressing the 3 little dots___selecting the share option___ and not there are 2 options to choose from "post to" or "send to"____the "send to option, has 3 sub options allowing you to "email" "message" or "messenger" what this feature dose is basically send a link of the playlist, which allows the individual to listen to and download the playlist to their account. 

Absolutely right on! Hate Facebook, and now I'm made to do work-arounds to share playlists with Family. Sad.

Facebook is NOT an option, so please let a family with family subscription share family playlists!

Thanks but why dowe have to use a workaround?  this basic functionality should be there.  I am still holding out on family plan until this is implemented.

count me in on this request too. I am using multiple accounts and sharing and collaborating among family member is kind of an "obvious" feature I was very supprised was not there! 

customer service for spotify is absolutely horrible.  They fail to address my numerous emails to them about this feature and a few others that have disappeared with recent updates.  They make it extremely hard to contact and when you do their responses are robotic and not helpful.   Probably the worst customer service of any company ever

what IS the point of a family plan??? I can't share anything with anyone. I don't even know where to see family members in my mac or android app. Some features that are missing or just neglected seems so easy to implement it's rather stupid.. why Spotify don't just make this easier for family members to share playlists. I seroiusly don't understand and it makes me sick to my stomach. I guess I'm going back to Google Music and just deal with the connection issues. THIS IS WHY WE NEED COMPETITON FOLKS. Hope someone with a opened mind will come along and give my family a real music service we can all enjoy. 

I have just received the following message from support person "Mydie S" on at 17:43, May 11, 2017 where he/she stated, "I truly apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. However, as part of ongoing efforts to improve Spotify’s overall features and functions, we’ve decided to remove our Inbox/Messages feature."

After I stated three times that I do NOT want to share to social media, this "support person" copy & pasted the following to me (below).  I call "FAIL".

-------------

We do have some ways to still share your songs to other users. To share, just follow these steps:

1. Tap on what you’d like to share. Or, just tap and hold until the options pop up.
2. Tap Share.
3. Tap Post To… and edit the message if you like.
4. Tap the channels you’d like to share to. Options include Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr.
Or, tap More Options to share with other messaging, social, and file sharing apps available on your phone.
Note: You’re directed to link your social accounts, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr with Spotify if you’ve not already done so. 5. Tap POST.

-----------

Suggested posts