Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Signing up my dad’s Spotify account using his Apple ID gives an error message

Signing up my dad’s Spotify account using his Apple ID gives an error message

Country

Canada

Device

iPhone XR

Operating System

iOS 16.3

My Question or Issue

Yesterday, I opened the Spotify app on my dad’s iPhone XR for the first time. I wanted to create his account using his Apple ID. I entered his iPhone’s passcode correctly, but I could not proceed because of the error message shown in the attachment. I also was unable to sign up using his Apple ID using the browser. I tried again and again, but the error message kept popping up, so I had no choice but to sign up using his email address.

I contacted support about this and spoke to two advisors who offered no solutions at all.

My dad’s Apple ID is a Gmail address. His iPhone is on the latest iOS (16.3), he has two-factor authentication turned on since yesterday, and he is signed in to iCloud. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

image.jpg
16 Replies

Hello @Ryan0627!

Thanks for reaching out. Can you try the steps here to connect your dad's account to Apple? If you're also getting an error, can you try using another browser or an incognito window?

Keep me posted!

Jose_MSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I chatted with support and they thought deleting and making a new account with the same email would fix, but this was not a solution as I would have to wait 30 days for the email to release.

I signed up in incognito mode (Safari private browsing). It still gave me the error message.

Hello @Ryan0627!

Thanks for your reply. Does this also happen when following the steps mentioned above to connect his account after being created with an email?

Jose_MSpotify Star

Yes

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Just to make sure this isn't a network-related issues, can you let me know if you have any VPN services enabled? If so, I'd recommend turning them off to see if that makes a difference. It might also be worth trying this process with another device/network connection.

Let me know how it goes!

Jose_MSpotify Star

No VPNs. Excellent Wi-Fi connection. I did not want to use mobile data.

Also I want to add something: I had no problems signing up with my Apple ID when I created my account.

Hello,

Thanks for providing these details. Can you make sure the email that you're using for this account is exactly the same shown your dad's Apple account? I'd recommend copying and pasting it to be sure. And just to be sure, was this email linked to another account in the past?

Keep me posted.

Jose_MSpotify Star

Both are exactly the same email address, and no, the email address was not used previously.

Hello,

Thanks for checking this. I'd recommend you try this process using another internet connection. If you'd rather not use mobile data, another Wi-Fi connection works, such as a friend or relative's Wi-Fi. Also, when creating an account with Apple ID, you can choose whether to share your email or not. Can you let me know which option you're using?

Let me know how this goes.

Jose_MSpotify Star

I cannot use other WiFi. I chose to share his email, and then I get the error message.

Hello again,

It seems that you're trying this process using the web browser, can you try signing up with Apple from the Spotify mobile app? A user in this thread confirmed that this worked for them, I'd recommend following the steps in the featured answer there.

Let me know if that does the trick.

Jose_MSpotify Star

I saw the message for the first time when I pressed sign up with Apple in the Spotify app.

Hello,

If you tried this when signing up initially, could you try linking your account with Apple via the mobile app now that you have created an account? In the thread mentioned above there are steps that worked for other users.

Let me know how you get on.

Jose_MSpotify Star

How to do that in the app? Is it in the Spotify

app settings?

Hello!

You can learn how to do this in the "Connect an existing account to Apple" section of this Support article. Check out the Tips & Tricks video for more help.

Let me know how you get on.

Jose_MSpotify Star

Suggested posts