Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Single Device usage at once limitation

Single Device usage at once limitation

Having been looking for a new audio solution for my home, I am currently trialling premium.

My setup consists of my primary PC, Android in my Car and Android in my Kitchen.

Currently I use the excellent DoubleTwist to synchronise music, and podcasts between the PC and the two devices.

The Android phone in the car is used primarily for listening to Podcasts and Audio books, whilst the Kitchen Android is used primarily for listening to Streaming Radio & Music.  My PC is primarily Music.

I was hoping to be able to use Spotify to synchronise local media (including Podcasts, which can be downloaded and managed with a plethora of different apps) as well as listen to streaming and offline music from the spotify network.

However, due to the limitation of one device being allowed to work at a time, this is a royal PITA. As people in the kitchen can’t listen to streaming music (or even downloaded music without disconnecting from wifi) without pausing me on my PC and vice versa.  Even If I have tracks in my car I want to listen to, I can’t begin to play them until I am out of wifi range - lest I pause the kitchen music.

So, is there any way to properly use an account on multiple devices?  Can I purchase device licences?

2 Replies

Currently the license you buy is a personal one - hence one device playing* at any one time. Spotify possibly plan to introduce a family licensing scheme, but that's not official yet so we don't know if/when this might be.

* As you implied, the limitation is on being online while playing. Tracks can be played offline on one device while another is playing online. Your best bet is to sync music for offline listening in advance and then use the devices offline. You don't need to cut wifi or be out of wifi range for this - just flick the offline option in the settings menu to On.

D
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

OK, thanks...

Suggested posts