Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Someone controlling my account. Still after i changed password and logged out of all accounts.

Someone controlling my account. Still after i changed password and logged out of all accounts.

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Dell XPS 15

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Just a bit ago I was on my computer, not using Spotify, when suddenly a rap song just started playing on my computer. I had never heard the song so I just paused it but a couple seconds later it started again (the song was "Ban" by "Cannabis Club ATL").

It stopped but then a bit later it started playing again but this time from another device (it said it was in browser on chrome). I tried switching the song to a song on my playlist and then it got skipped to another song on my playlist and they skipped like 30 seconds into the song, making me think it's another actual person.

After that I went to my Spotify account online and changed my password and logged out of all devices, and I changed my Facebook password and logged out of all devices (I usually use Facebook to log in). But when I logged back in to Spotify on my laptop the song just started playing again, this time from my computer again. 

I'm not sure what to do now, it seems like some kinda virus or hack.

22 Replies

Hi @ncvy_5-2xf4sa and welcome to the Community! 🙂
That does sound like a very frustrating situation.

By any chance, is the network you are streaming on secure? It sounds like another device could possibly be using the Spotify Connect function. This can happen if the network is open/not password protected (ex. public wifi).
It sounds like you have already taken all the other correct steps to keep your account itself secure so this was the one thing I could think of that might cause it.
The only solution I know of would be to stream on a secured private network and make sure only the local devices on that network are allowed to access Spotify Connect.
Hope this helps and have a great day! 🙂

Hi

Where you able to solve this? I have the same issue, same f'ing band playing songs I've never heard of, and it's frustrating.

Sounds like some smartasses are trying to give this no-name band some illegal traction 🙂 

Any solutions would be helpful - I just reset my password, signed out of everywhere and the issue still remained!

I also have this problem. Spotify I guess is just paying this artist out as a legitimate artist.

This is happening to me as well! My playlists were deleted also and I get a bunch of music I never listened to in my history. This is so annoying. I changed all may paswords and so on and still! Not to mention that I recovered my playlists, but they only appear on my phone, not on desktop! This is so frustrating that I will consider leaving spotify alltogether and start paying for Deezer again, with which I NEVER had this stupid issue!

EXACT same thing happened to me. They played the stupid Cannabis Club **bleep** and saved these 2 playlists to my account:

https://open.spotify.com/user/8lnosymb9r0ljhh3zj18wyo9i/playlist/38ME5xJBdZimVDjiScKrn1?si=PzSuiWYqQ...

https://open.spotify.com/user/8lnosymb9r0ljhh3zj18wyo9i/playlist/1pVDXsdOs9kBx5sVRJ3FRi?si=wGp7u_ElS...

Both playlists are created by this person, who I imagine must be the culprit:

https://open.spotify.com/user/8lnosymb9r0ljhh3zj18wyo9i?si=IY-hkxS2Q4qRC6y8uJFU7Q

Spotify said they were listening from the Chrome web player, but there are NO other activated devices or browsers out there that I would be signed into except for my own which are all accounted for. It sent me into a frenzy because I thought maybe other accounts of mine had been hacked. But after seeing similar instances, it seems to be some sort of malicious bot or hacker exploiting a Spotify security flaw.

Same thing is happening to me right now.  Same playlist...   so frustrating. 

I have the same problem but something or someone is followong playlists from someone called "Felix Schorn". 
And my friend had the same problem with some spanish dude.

Really enoying!

Same problem here. THE ONLY FIX, for me, was to roll back the version. Deleting app data, clearing the cache, Uninstall/Reinstall, sifting through libraries/albums/artists/etc. ---> NONE of it worked. I was experiencing two problems which I think are related: 1). Songs terminate early 2). I was often forced to listen to the rotten garbage music that is Cannabis Club.

Changing my password and signing out of all devices didn’t help.  As soon as I changed my email address it stopped.  I found multiple unknown accounts set up under family.  Had to delete those too. 

Has anyone found a solution to this besides rolling back to a previous version?  I would imagine that ALL of us having the same garbage randomly playing on our spotify accounts by Cannabis Club ATL would indicate to Spotify that there is a security flaw or vulnerability somewhere.  I have no idea how I got this, my computers are all locked down, my network is secure and my devices have all been checked for virus / malware.  I'm getting pretty tired of this awful "music" just starting up on my devices.  Spotify, what have you found on this?

Change your password and email account. 

I have the same problem. Same shitty band.. Tried to change my password and logging out of all devices several times..

You need to change your email address that’s used to log in as well. 

I opened up a support ticket with Spotify on this.  They seemed to know what the problem was and how to fix it - which involved closing my account and re-opening it and changing my password again - but they did not give details as to what caused it.  I received an email back shortly after saying that my account had been secured and that my playlists, artists, etc. had been restored.  So far, so good.  I would still like to know what happened though.  

I have the same problem. Same device and "The Matrix"

IMG_2129.PNG

Hi Nation,

Based on previous troubles with my Spotify account being ruined, I have found that the problem may be simpler than you think. Have you given your family access to your Spotify account? Have you lost a device which is already logged in? If you haven't, I strongly recommend changing your actual email for your login as this will boot any unauthorized devices off the account.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Please let me know if you have any more questions or queries. 

Greetings,

Have you tried changing your password? Have you given your account details to anyone (family or friends)? When I had difficulties like this, I changed my email and it kicked me off all my devices logged into the Spotify account. I then signed in successfully and I never heard another random song played 🙂

Please let me know how it goes

Don't hesitate to ask me more questions 🙂

Greetings,

Many people may say to change your password for the account whereas I highly recommend changing the email directly linked to the account. This will boot all devices off the Spotify account and you then may safely login with your new email address and perhaps a new password. 🙂

Let me know how it goes

Please don't hesitate to ask me more questions 🙂

Good. Most likely, someone has linked Spotify Connect to your computer. If you have more devices at home, check them and see that they are not linked to your Spotify account. If this does not work, it most likely is a virus.

Suggested posts