Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Someone using my spotify? (premium user)

Someone using my spotify? (premium user)

Hello!

Earlier tonight when I was going to listen to some music spotify asked me if I wanted to join an active session, it got me confused and I joined, and I can see someone listening to music right now in "main bedroom" with the cast icon.
And it say this person is the host of the session too.

I have checked for viruses, on my phones and pc, I've changed my spotify password as well as logging out everywhere on spotify, checked if anyone is using my wifi/network, and I am the only one. I even resetted my chromecast as well as removed the room (main bedroom).

But still I see this person listening to music as I write this and I have no idea what to do. 

I've never shared my password with anyone, I live alone and I don't have any speakers that could play the music.

8 Replies

Hey @drakelito ,

Thanks for coming to the Community.

It's possible that you've joined a Group Session. You can check out this support article, which explains how to leave a Group Session.

In case nothing changes after trying those steps, you can try restarting your device, as well as logging out, and logging back into the Spotify app.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hello!

I'm starting to think that is the case, because when I changed the device from the one I was listening to (the person, not me) to my desktop, it stopped and nothing happened since.
But is there any way to avoid this all together in the future? Can I make all my stuff private and make it that I can't join sessions like this?

Cheers.

Hey @drakelito ,

Thanks for getting back.

As far as I know, there's no setting to prevent you from joining a Group Session. The only thing you can do is make sure you don't scan any Spotify Code or join a Group Session through a link.

Keep in mind that Group Session is in Beta, which means it’s being tested and features could change. 

Hope this clears things up! 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey again.

I've been talking to Spotify about this, they wanted to investigate this further so I've sent them a screenshot of the session.

Going to update here when I know more.

Thanks for the answers again.

I have encountered the same problem. Two separate persons from the same household(found them on Facebook) is listening to my Google Home device named Kitchen, but there's no music playing from it and they live to far away. Same is showing up for my GF and she's on a different Spotify Account.

I wonder what that could be. 
Have you spoken to the Spotify support too?

It haven't happened after that but I've been on alert since.

No I haven't spoken to Spotify yet. To me this seems like a bug rather than
my account being compromised as my gf is having the same problem on her own
account, so it's obvious that it has something to do between Spotify and
the Google home device.

Hey @sogmund,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

Have you seen the info given buy @Maxim earlier in this thread about Group sessions and how they work. On the link he's given, you can see details on how to join or end such sessions, as well as how to invite or remove listeners. Also, make sure that your local network is secured (not left with open access) and that you're also not being accidentally connected to another local Wi-fi network with an open session.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any other questions.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts