Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Somone hacked my account and joined my Family Plan

Somone hacked my account and joined my Family Plan

• None of the below information is required. However, the more you provide the easier it will be for us to try and help.

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

My account got compromised two times in the past 4 weeks. First time when it happened i've changed my password to a very secure one but it still happened again yesterday, after just a few weeks. I am very protective with my credentials and i am convinced it was not my mistake. I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence that it happened on Spotify again, especially after seeing that there are a lot of people who went through this too..

This time i had to replace my whole account and re-subscribe. I hope this is not going to happen again because even if i love spotify, i am going to choose an alternative. 

5 Replies

Hey there, help's arrived! 

If you think someone's gained access to your Spotify account, the most important thing you can do is follow the instructions on this Spotify support article. It'll help you re-secure your account, and includes how to get in touch with Spotify Support if anything's been deleted and needs restoring. 

Since someone's also joined your Spotify Premium Family subscription, you should also remove them from the plan as soon as you get your account secured. There's instructions here on how to do that. 

Let me know if you run into any issues! 

Someone from the support helped me to replace my account completely because it happened two times already. But the problem is not my account, it is why is this even happening?

Should we be worried about our personal data being exposed? Because the person who added himself in my Family Plan surely had access to all my details..

I really think there is an issue with your Auth system.

I'd really appreciate to know how those attackers signed into my account.. Was it through email/pass? Maybe someone from the support was fooled or i don't know.

This is the second time when i had to change my passwords across all my accounts. 

Thanks for getting back to me.

Spotify's Security Team works around the clock to respond to global security threats and ensure the safety and security of Spotify. If you use the same password across different sites, your account credentials may have been "pawned" from another site - you can check a public repository of compromised services on haveibeenpwned.com.

Ok, i understand that i have to secure my passwords but why is it happening to so many people? Google's results are filled with this issue: https://www.google.com/search?q=someone+joined+my+spotify+family&oq=someone+joined+my&sourceid=chrom...

Thanks for that.

I don't know for sure, but I'd say it probably has to do with the massive increase of people working from home and using technology more etc during the COVID-19 pandemic.

As always though, the golden rules for protecting accounts is to always have different credentials across platforms and to never share your passwords! 

I hope I've been able to help you, please let me know if you'd like a hand with anything else.

Suggested posts