Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Songs in different countries

Solved!

Songs in different countries

Maybe this isn't the right place to bring this up or there's another post just like this that I couldn't find.

I'm just wondering why some artists might have 9/10 albums on Spotify in my country and the last album is "not available in my country". Why is that? I mean, it's not like they don't have ANYTHING by the artist on Spotify, it's just that ONE album.

Is there any way that you, who work on Spotify can do anything about or is it just a lost cause?

For example I'd freaking LOVE to have Three Days Grace's "new" album from 2012 on Spotify. It's really annoying to have to listen to it on Youtube and then switch over to Spotify to listen to another artist/band.

Once again, sorry if this has been brought up before or is in the wrong place of the forum!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi! It's really way more complicated than you'd think. Sometimes labels send Spotify a request (or the music rights change) to remove certain songs or artists for all or specified countries. If this happens, Spotify is forced to process a label's request. I believe it has something in common with your case.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

There is also a request form for Spotify over on this topic:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Music-Chat/Missing-Music/td-p/572550

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi! It's really way more complicated than you'd think. Sometimes labels send Spotify a request (or the music rights change) to remove certain songs or artists for all or specified countries. If this happens, Spotify is forced to process a label's request. I believe it has something in common with your case.

Hope that helps!

Yeah, it sounds quite right and awfully terrible 😕

What do the labels get from doing these things then? Cause I guess it has something with profit to do, right?

They make business. It's how the world works. So yes, it's all about profit. Because you listen to the music on Spotify, you need to pay for the service (either buying a premium account or listening/watching ads).

Maybe it's a stupid question, but what about the ones who do have premium and pays the fee every month - we can still not access these songs? With a free account I'd be able to change my country settings and access the songs I want, but as a premium user, I can't, as it's connected to my payment methods. is that just how it is?

@Missaaah - As a free user, you can't just change your country as in order to do that your IP address must match the country you are trying to change it too. You can off course get around this by using a proxy or VPN, however such systems are a breach of the Spotify Terms of Service.

Unfortunately that is just how music industry licensing works, although if there is anything missing I've found it is normally because someone has forgotten to add it rather than it being unavailable. Normally when I get in touch with a band (particularly smaller ones) they normally get things added pretty quickly!

Peter

Ah, that makes sense. Well how/where would I put a request for e.g. the band Revis, which, on the Danish Spotify, has 1 song only? 

Marked as solution

There is also a request form for Spotify over on this topic:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Music-Chat/Missing-Music/td-p/572550

Peter

Alright,

i live in the US now but am in desperate need of some of my classic german music collection.

There is maybe a handful of songs available. All of these songs are way over a century old and i cant imagine the rights to still be this complicated.

Any chance you can add Absolute Beginner, Dynamite Deluxe, Creutzfeld & Jacob to your library?? 

I appreciate any feedback you can give

Suggested posts