Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Double charged me for NINE MONTHS and I am having to beg to get the money back they took

Solved!

Spotify Double charged me for NINE MONTHS and I am having to beg to get the money back they took

I had a credit card that I just used for internet subscriptions.  I had it on autopay because I trusted the companies that I gave my credit card number to.  

Since then, I have gone through all my credit card charges, trying to cut down on my monthly expenses, and I noticed that Spotify has charged me twice for 9 months!  I bring this to their attention, and Spotify said that it was their fault.  When I logged in with Facebook, it somehow made two accounts.  So for 9 months, I was getting billed twice for premium service (only receiving one email a month from Spotify letting me know that my credit card was going to be charged).  The only fault I have in this is not checking my statement from the beginning.  

So instead of refunding me the money that they owe me, they want to give me credit.  At this point, I want nothing to do with Spotify.  I don't want free months, and that is what they keep offering me.  I have never had to work so hard to get money back that was taken from me.  Spotify, admit something went wrong, and fix it.  Why would I keep using your service when you keep trying to take advantage of me?  If you would have just given me the credit I was owed in the first place, I would be singing your praises.  

Spotify Case # 01250813

57 Replies

Thanks, do you know where i can find my case-number?

@maxi095 Once they get back to you, you'll get one assigned.

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks!

They came back to me fairly quick and apoligized for the mistake. However, they said that they could only give me refunds on the latest payment, since the others was made over 14 days ago. Basicly their regular refund policy. This is not acceptable at all since I did not get notified on E-mail or otherwise that i had made a second account just by logging into facebook. They had basicly duplicated my debit- card information to the facebook account, which has to be illegal, since I wasnt notified on this.

I also found that i had been paying doubble for 12 months straight (!) which makes this even worse. I replied that the regular 14-day refund was not acceptable, and that I would like to be refunded all of it.

Didn't know about the 14 day policy. Let us knows how it goes.

osorniosSpotify Star

I'm about to leave Spotify and file a lawsuit against them for this double charge. They did this last month, and I warned them not to do it again since they wouldn't refund/reverse that charge. I was lied to. They lied and said my bank did it. My bank  told me they never double charged, and I should know because I've been with my bank over 6 years, and that never happened before. thank god my bank disputed it, but I'm done with spotify for good if they don't give me my darn money back by 4pm today. Not playing with them about my money. I don't care if it's only a penny to you, don't touch nothing that's not yours. That extra 9.99 is not theirs and I want it all back.

I am currently having the exact same issue, but it has been for 19 months!! they are currently refuding to refund me. I musthave clicked sign in with facebook and didn't realise this started another account. They have been taking double payments since. On top of this, only one of the accounts has actually worked throughout! The other says payment info neds updated. I am getting automated replies only. It is very frustrating.

Hey @mccarthy67,

If you're getting automated emails directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to support@spotify.com and one of the customer services agents will get back to you.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, you can tweet @SpotifyCares.

osorniosSpotify Star

I just discovered that Spotify has been charging me double since February 2016. I have done some research and it appears that many other people have expereienced this same issue. I had no idea that my old spotify account was still attached to my facebook login and that it was being charged to my credit card. I emailed to request a refund, but instead was told that since it has been greater than 2 weeks since the charge posted that Spotify would NOT refund my money. 

I have enjoyed using spotify for a long time now and I am so upset that I am considering cancelling my subscription alltogether. It is completely unethical for a company to not resolve a serious issue that has been going on for at least two years now where customers are being double charged. If i do not recieve notification that my money is being refunded, I will dispute all the charges and cancel my current subscription and I will be sure to tell all my friends and acquaintenances about this issue. I would add a case #, but I wasn't even given one. It's also ridiculous that there is no phone number to contact customer service.

Trans. DateDescriptionCategoryAmount  

View Details01/06/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details02/06/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details02/27/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details03/06/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details03/27/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details04/06/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details04/27/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details05/06/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details05/27/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details06/06/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details06/27/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details07/06/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details07/27/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details08/06/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details08/27/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details09/06/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81 
View Details09/27/16SPOTIFY NEW YORK CITYNYMerchandise$10.81

don't give up, they have eventually agreed to refund me for the double payments, but I had to be very persistent! keep emailing them and ask to speak to a manager. Good luck! The way they are able to do this is very poorly transparent business I feel and many people are falling into the same trap. All the best!

I have been getting charged from my bank and also been charged on my phone bill once November 2016 .I want a refund as I don't want to use this app any more !! Think it is sneaky and shocking that they charge you twice !!!!

Hey @Bammy88,

Do you get email receipts for your subscription purchases? Search for one of them in your email account. In it, the Spotify username you're paying for is shown:

Username/ID:        xxxxxxx

If you're getting charged twice, it probably means you're paying more than one account. Checking your receipts is a way to confirm that.

Fill out the contact form, and someone from Spotify will be able to help you within 24 hrs. Don't forget to check your spam folder for responses as they may end up there.

If you get an automated email directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

I have just come across this problem, I can't believe there is not a system in place yet to stop this happening, after reading the first comment on this thread was many years ago. Today after reviewing my outgoings, I have worked out that I have been double charged for Premium every month since January 2015, although one shows up as iTunes so it was never obvious that this was a charge for Spotify. Again, the same facebook problem. I am absoloutely horrified at the amount I have overpaid, and I don't find the customer service to be extremely helpful. 

I was billed twice for 24 months! Seeing what they will do about it now

They typically follow up and reimburse you for the months they
double-charged you...wouldn't worry too much about it...I feel for those
who never catch it though...I love my Spotify, too bad with all those
brains, no one in the tech department has figured out a way to troubleshoot
that glitch...it leaves a sour taste and makes me rate it an 7 or 8 where
it would be a 9 or 10...smh
Marked as solution

I am being charge twice ran month

No worries, contact them and they will research the two accounts (usually it's because When you login through Facebook, it starts a new enrollment) and once the verify the double charge they will credit your account for 9 months...

Hello @dorethaharris

Do you get email receipts for your subscription purchases? Search for one of them in your email account. In it, the Spotify username you're paying for is shown:

Username/ID:        xxxxxxx

If you're getting charged twice, it probably means you're paying more than one account. Checking your receipts is a way to confirm that. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

I am facing an issue of being charged two times in two different credit cards for Sep and Oct 2017 

I have the family memership and being charge $149 mexican pesos in one card and for the past two months I am being charge a premium memership in another credit card as well for $99 mexican pesos a month. I am not sure who can I talk to or how to get this solved. Anyone can guide me ?

Thank you

Hola @EdgarCesarTapia

Busca en tus cuentas de correo recibos de pago de Spotify que puedas tener. Alli encontraras el nombre de usuario que estas pagando.

Busca donde dice:

Nombre de usuario/ID:  xxxxxxx

Entra a tu perfil del sitio web con ese nombre de usuario y revisa tu status de suscripcion. Es probable que estes pagando mas de una cuenta (diferente a la normalmente usas). Lo puedes comprobar revisando tus recibos de pago.

Puedes pedir un reembolso si no han pasado 15 dias del cargo. Llena este formulario y alguien de Spotify te ayudara en un maximo de 24 hrs habiles.

Debes estar pendiente de la carpeta Spam, ya que muchas veces la respuestas llegan alli. Si recibes la respuesta automatica, responde a ese mensaje (aun si la direccion es 'no-reply') y un agente de servicio al cliente se pondra en contacto.

Espero sea de ayuda. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

Hello @ 

I have looked into my Spotify receipts for the Family account being charge at $149 mexican pesos a month. 

the ID es Edgar.Cesar.Tapia which is correct, I have 5 members linked to this and looks ok

However I can´t figure out the other charge of $99 pesos that I am getting for the past 2 months to a different credit card with the ending 530 

Can I get information on the user name being linked to this credit card so if there is a mistake I can cancel that charge?

I am not able to find the answer to this

Thank you

Suggested posts