Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Hifi

Spotify Hifi

Hi!

Heard about Spotify Hifi. That you are testing this. I would really like to try it out! Since I am a long time faithful customer. Please? 🙂

588 Replies

I use both Spotify and Tidal. I use Spotify to find musik and Tidal when I
listen to music. A Spotify HiFi would be Great.

Hi!

I would like to test and use the Spotify HiFi.

I listen music on a high-end headphone with a dedicated amp and a studio DAC. Now if I have to get decent audio quality with this system, I have to listen from FLAC files. The Spotify Premium has good quality for my car and in the office, but not enough to listen music at home for me.

Thank you in advance!

Please add me to the Spotify hi-fi beta tester community

I would if I could. I'm not sure there is one

Just cancelled my premium subscription because of this. I hope management are listening....

Thanks Paul, have done so.

Well after several years on family Spotify premium I’ve jumped ship to Tidal family HiFi - twice the cost but for me worth the quality. Streaming Tidal FLAC fo my Yamaha Musiccast is the deal breaker. 

Please add me to Spotify HiFi beta test

Note: I am a big proponent and long-time users of Spotify Premium.

Spotify is in no rush in upgrading their servers to maintain the bandwidth required for HiFi streaming. Here's why I think that is...

Going public on NYSE enabled their long-term investors (and employees) to finally cash out on the long-promised dreams of profitability, even though the company itself has not turned a profit since its inception. It's potential future net-worth, however, after the listing is currently somewhere around 30 billion dollars, as per the market cap determined by the public. Do note, however, that in this IPO the company did not raise any new capital (it was not underwritten by the investment banks) and simply allowed its private shares, which have already been traded among its employees in a private auction, available to the public. That means that the actual net worth of the company is not backed by its intrinsic value, but more of a future potential, which is currently determined mostly by an artificial supply and demand of the released stock.

It's not, however, all that bad. The reason that the company hasn't turned a profit is that the royalties it's paying out to the labels exceed its current income (and costs for infrastructure, employees, and other operating expenses) exceed its total revenue. Yes, even as the artists complain about the tiny checks they get in the mail for getting their music streamed to the public. Which, as an artist myself, I can say is a preposterous opposition - a decade ago an artist would give an arm and a leg to get their music played on the radio to a larger audience; today they demand a change on the distribution model that they don't truly comprehend.  

But why not just turn lossless streaming on? Who knows? Perhaps the company is awaiting the gap between expenses and income to narrow to invest in the already expensive hardware infrastructure it has to support. Or, it could be simply a technical reason. Do note - that from a technology perspective, Spotify is a complex mesh of systems (whether or not outsourced to an external network and cloud provider). For direct downloads and streaming on portable devices, Spotify employes a direct point-to-point connection from their servers. But for your desktop application, it uses a protocol resembling bit-torrent, where you are actually streaming smaller chunks of data from a nearby family of other clients that have already cached it on their machines. So if someone near your regional network area has already played that Madonna track, you are most likely streaming it directly from their computer (and not Spotify hosted servers). And yes, that means that right now, as you're listening to Spotify on your desktop, you too are uploading some precached packets to many clients interested in the same music nearby. Take a look at your packet captures.

What that means for Hi-Fi streaming is that some of the upload bandwidth required to fill in those missing blocks in a distributed network is just not large enough to sustain high-resolution data (as it almost takes up nearly double the size of existing 320kbps). If your neighbour can't upload a lossless chunk to you fast enough, you will glitch, and then complain to Spotify, even though they have nothing to do with the infrastructure. So... it's possible that in order to support full lossless streaming capability (like Tidal, which I don't think employs the same distribution algorithm), the company needs to [re]invest in a more dedicated infrastructure to support its large demanding user base.

If it's not any of the above, then perhaps it's coming in 2018!!! Keeping my fingers crossed so that I can cancel Tidal 🙂

just my two cents...

Agree

how can i try it? I'm spotify user from the beginning and I'm trying the TIDAL HiFi but I don't want to change...

You can't. We can hope for the future

i use linux os and spotify is one of the few desktop clients supported for linux.

i tried tidal but soon ditched it as it was (for linux) web player only and through chrome only (which i do not use anymore)....... i shall be staying with spotify as the upgrade to lossless/hifi streaming will have to happen at some point....... i would reconsider tidal if they introduced a desktop client compatable with linux that streamed mqa and had access to masters etc but i suspect this will not happen any time soon...... linux is only installed on roughly 4 or 5% of PCs (a guesstimate) so unless the market share increases.............

I use Android 8.0.0 and Windows 7

Please make this happen!!

Please add me to Spotify HiFi beta test

Wish I could

I would like to see the lossless flac/dsd streaming, at least only for desktop as a start. I would pay an extra $5-$10 extra. Please add the beta option, music sounds amazing on my HD 800 s on tidal

Please add me to Spotify HiFi beta test.

Suggested posts