Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Privacy Issues - why do you need access to my photos?

Spotify Privacy Issues - why do you need access to my photos?

Hey guys - care to comment on this Forbes article?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/08/20/spotify-creepy-privacy-policy/

Why do you need access to:

"we may collect information stored on your mobile device, such as contacts, photos, or media files"

And:

"your phone’s GPS location"

I assume this is for more advertising revenue? Can't you just do the music side better rather than selling everyone out? Why do you need access to my entire life (which I'd rather not share - or at least have the choice to share)?

EDIT (for people starting at the top): Spotify CEO Daniel Ek has commented on this here - https://news.spotify.com/us/2015/08/21/sorry-2/

167 Replies

Not only do their new terms piss me off, but their arrogance is INFURIATING. I sent a complaint email expressing my concern over the changes. I got a reply that started with, "How about we explain it a bit more" as if I am simply failing to grasp the modifications! I'm really starting to dislike you, Spotify.

I admire the principles and share the anger of those who have or intend to cancel their subscription. Unfortunately as one User commented, Spotify has already taken this into account.

I ask myself. How many subscribers are aware of the changes? Looking on this forum at the number of paying users who want to cancel their subscription, even multiplying that number by a factor 10 or 100. You are still looking at an amount which would be seen as petty change by a company like Spotify.

I don’t think they will backtrack, in the end they will do just what they want to do.

The wording of the T&C’s and the “apology” makes it clear in my mind, that they don’t really care about what paying subscribers think or react to the new T&C’s.

For my part, I will be looking for methods to circumvent data collection. Depending on how you use Spotify it may be easy to almost impossible. But from here on, cancellation is always an option.

While my gut feeling, tells me to follow those who have cancelled their subscription. I ask myself who will be hurting more should I do so?

In fairness, I actually found out about the changes from BBC news in the UK - so the reportage is pretty broad at the moment.

I have cancelled my subscription, see above. Sure, it'll suck finding a new streaming provider, but I want nothing to do with a company that seeks this kind of intrusive data to offer core features in their future product.

You people do realize that the permissions to access your photo's and use them comes down to the following: You have made a playlist and you select a piece of art or a foto from your phone, spotify actually has to have your permission to do so and read from, upload to their server and publish it on your playlist. They legally cannot do that unless you have given them permission to do so. 

I personally would be more happy with a "opt in" on a per use base. Meaning IF you use such a function, it will ask for it then and there. More work on spotify's side, yet far more agreeable to the user base.

All the flak directed towards spotify will have acomplished at least that they will now specify exactly what they mean  in the ToS in stead of this broad, easily missused set of rules. 

Talk is useless, only one thing will get the message across and that is cancelling your subscription. I just did.

A few big news site already published an article about this matter so quite alot of users know about this already.

Too bad, I already cancelled my subscription! I paid for the ability to stream music, not to have to turn off Spotify's ability to profit off my information. I initially contemplated cancelling after they "updated" the web player, which resulted in disabling my ability to listen at work (I was told to upgrade my web browser at work, which I have no control over vice Spotify fixing the issue). This latest privacy policy garbage just made cancelling that much easier! At least Pandora still functions at work...

@GehtEuchNixAn wrote:

I admire the principles and share the anger of those who have or intend to cancel their subscription. Unfortunately as one User commented, Spotify has already taken this into account.

I ask myself. How many subscribers are aware of the changes? Looking on this forum at the number of paying users who want to cancel their subscription, even multiplying that number by a factor 10 or 100. You are still looking at an amount which would be seen as petty change by a company like Spotify.

I don’t think they will backtrack, in the end they will do just what they want to do.

The wording of the T&C’s and the “apology” makes it clear in my mind, that they don’t really care about what paying subscribers think or react to the new T&C’s.

For my part, I will be looking for methods to circumvent data collection. Depending on how you use Spotify it may be easy to almost impossible. But from here on, cancellation is always an option.

While my gut feeling, tells me to follow those who have cancelled their subscription. I ask myself who will be hurting more should I do so?

You and me will guard our privacy options, but if we are part of social networks, other users will share our information with the company anyway. The large masses will trade their privacy for free services or features.

I just asked myself if I want a social platform or a music player. Spotify CEO describes Spotify as a social platform. Hence they focus their attention on social aspects, and those needs tracking of users to be effective.

It really is that simple. What do you want in a music player?

@Massa191 wrote:

You people do realize that the permissions to access your photo's and use them comes down to the following: You have made a playlist and you select a piece of art or a foto from your phone, spotify actually has to have your permission to do so and read from, upload to their server and publish it on your playlist. They legally cannot do that unless you have given them permission to do so. 

I personally would be more happy with a "opt in" on a per use base. Meaning IF you use such a function, it will ask for it then and there. More work on spotify's side, yet far more agreeable to the user base.

All the flak directed towards spotify will have acomplished at least that they will now specify exactly what they mean  in the ToS in stead of this broad, easily missused set of rules. 

Only to change their privacy policy whenever they think their profits will increase from it.

This is true for any company though.

So it's done. I have cancelled my Premium subscription. Why did you have to do that Spotify? I don't want another Facebook, I want a music streaming service.

And the statement by Ek doesn't do anything. Sporify didn't reverse its new policy it just sugarcoated it. In the aftermath of AshleyMadison it should be clear that trusting an anonymous internet service with personal information is a bad idea. Or, more fitting for a music service, let's quite Bruce Springsteen: "Blind faith in your leaders, or in anything, will get you killed."

Really well said, it's a slippy slope and who knows who has access to what at Spotify. Once they have access to my pictures for ''thumbnails'' what stops an unscrupulous employee or hacking group looking beyond just the ''thumbnails''.

Well, Spotify's explanation is fairly reasonable, they do need access to your photos if you're going to make custom album art. However, I really wish this was an opt in feature, something in the settings menu. For now I won't be renew my sub, however, when android M comes out with fine permission control, I might return. I don't consider the use of a third party app (especial one that I have to side load) as reasonable method to ensure my piracy. I have not intention of using Spotify's new feature.

Well I get spotify free on my mobile contract but mainly acess it via a desktop machine when working from home. They are suggesting that a desktop PC needs to give the access on photo's and contacts as a phone, as well as location. From a securoty point of view I don't want to grant access to my mobile let alone a PC.

When I choose not to accept then I get told I've 30 days to agree. What happens on day 31 if I don't agree?

From what I understand it only affects mobile users. If you're using spotify on your desktop, it won't access your photos.

I'm out, cancelled my subscription and will most likely delete my account soon.

No Chromecast support, confusing and bad UI/UX, history of not caring about customer like when Spotify only allowed Facebook sign-ups...

And now this policy update, no.

Rdio looks quite nice, or Deezer. Bye!

I talked my family into allowing me to get them all a family plan, I'd been talking up Spotify for months. Now, within a month of starting the family plan I'm in damage control mode. Thanks Spotify. I swear, it's as though Spotify WANTS users to leave. There are way too many options out there to put up with this kind of B.S. I have kids; I do not want their data, photos, contacts, given out - AT ALL.

Sorry but I could not find out to post a new message on this forum . Is it so complicated to post a new message  so apologies if I post this here but it is connected?

I find spotify SO slow now with the constant updates which seems  once a week and the poor quality sound reproduction from the music . I feel Spotify  think most of the public will not notice as it is probably cheaper to have lower quality bit rate music.

Just to compound this now Spotify want to take our data which will only slow down the login in process even more.  The GUI is not easy to navigate and I just feel that Spotify "have taken their eye off the ball" . I have been a member of Spotify for many years and I really wish to cancel my membership now !

Für mich ist es auch nicht akzeptabel!

Wer die angeblichen Zusatzfeatures nicht möchte sollte die Freigabe der Daten gezielt einschalten müssen!

Mich als zahlendes Premium-Mitglied vor die Wahl zu stellen, meine Daten freizugeben oder zu kündigen ist wirklich eine Frechheit. Habe den Apps die Berechtigungen entzogen!

SPOTIFY: Bitte nachbessern, oder Sie verlieren mich als zahlenden Kunden!!!

M.

It's a bit vague on that as the agreement came up on a desktop and will stop it being used on a PC if you don't agree.

Also no details of how it impacts on tablets. Are they considered mobile or PC?

Hi,

it comes up when starting the app on Android Tab and Phone. The privacy
policy is independent of the used system.
You could choose "later" but then you're told that the app will stop
working in september if you don't agree.
So your only choice is accept access to your personal data or leave
spotify.

Regards,

Matthias

Suggested posts