Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify SO slow...

Spotify SO slow...

Spotify is acting up quite a lot recently. Songs are loading forever, search results never show up, friends list is loading for ages... What's going on? Why should I continue to pay for a service I can't use? Is there any info on whether there'll be a server/network upgrade to compensate for this?
21 Replies

Same issue. Why is that everytime software developers roll out new tech the users have to suffer from latency. Get it up to speed before you roll it out. I would much prefer high performance vs fancy attachments. 

Unbelievably slow, horrible user experience, so much that I am using iTunes again to play music. There is nothing quite like Spotify, I love it! But I hate this slowness, it drives me mad and it seems you guys at Spotify don’t care. Really, really bad!  

This thread is pretty old and I haven't seen any other comments about slowness recently. What exactly is slow for you? Have you checked your internet connection?

This thread is pretty old, yes, but others are not. There are plenty of threads about this issue, old and new, a mess in fact as usual, and helpless, as usual too. All of them unread or at least never replied by the Spotify team, of course, as usual too. And there are many pages and reviews outside the Spotify community about this problem too. Google it and you’ll see. Yes, of course I have checked my Internet connection, why should you think I am a dumb stupid? My Internet connection is fast (30MB) and everything at home connected to the internet is fast and reliable, including the PC which is brand new with a Windows experience index of 7 determined by the lowest score. What is slow for me? Slow is when I click on a song and need to wait 15 seconds before is starts playing. Slow is when I open the application and there is nothing I can do for a minute or so. Slow is when I click on "Discover" and it takes ages for the page to upload and I cannot scroll it down without continuous disruptions and clumsy response. If you don't work for Spotify you really act like them, it is always easier for the kind of you to think the other person is a dork. Thanks, but that does not help.

Are you using Windows 8 by any chance? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yes, I am

I am using using Win7 and I am having the exact same issues. this is at home (50Mbs up/down) as at work (10Mbs up/down) I just downloaded all my songs/playlists because that was faster. but if I want to find new music I've to wait. ALOT.

I also got the problem.

When starting spotify, the logging in takes about 30 seconds.

Finding a song more then 5 minutes, and when i finaly play a song, there is a 10 sec buffer every 5 seconds.

I tried flushing my DNS and resetting my modem. It hasn't anything to do with my internet connection since i got 60/6 speed.

Fyi: i live in the netherlands, using the ISP Ziggo.

Windows 8 professional x64

Hey @Joeyzbg 🙂 

Do you get similar issues if you use the web player

Peter

Peter

No, the web player is fast and works smooth.

In that case it sounds like you ISP might be throttling p2p connections which the desktop Spotify uses and the web player doesn't. 

Unfortunately if that is the case then its a little out of Spotify's control, I would ask your ISP just to see what they say! 

Peter

Peter

I use many P2P programs and I am not having any problems at all with them. Your solution is helpless. I have had the same ISP for the last 7 years and I have been a Premium Spotify user ever since Spotify was released in Spain and never, ever, had any problem with it until the application was updated a few months ago, cannot remember exactly when but I do remember that Spotify completely changed its interface and new features were introduced such as the "Discover" page, for instance, which causes Spotify app to freeze for ages. Sorry guy, but too many people are complaining about this so you don’t just think you can go around this problem by blaming my ISP, what nonsense! In my opinion the app is eating a lot of resources and it simply does not work as it should.

Unchecking all “local files” in “Preferences” and running Spotify in Windows XP mode as an administrator quite solved the problem for me. These were tips I found in blogs outside the Spotify community. Not that Spotify is now the fastest program in the world for me but at least using it won’t drive me mad anymore, hopefully.

Yet, I have to say Spotify is a disgrace of a software and a real shame that such a wonderful service is not matched with a top performing application.

Victor

I fully agree with everything you have said and thank you for the info in the next post avbout running as xp im going to try that.

I found something that seems to have worked but I need to test more. I have a AMD Phenom II 3.4GHz x4 CPU / 8GB RAM / WIN 7 64BIT / and A NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti also on Road Runner Cable Modem ISP all super fast p2p, youtube videos never stop on 1080p, all video games run perfect however Spotify runs like **bleep** and its the only program that does for that matter. My latest best effort has been running it in WIN Vista Compatability mode as ADMIN. its working good now...

I have the same problem. Sometimes Spotify works very quickly and fluidly, but most of the time, it's extremely slow to load UI elements, songs, social network data, etc. I have a fast internet connection, so I know it's not that. I think the software is just slow. I am seriously considering dropping Spotify because the slowness really gets to be annoying. Please someone help.

Is this on the web player or the desktop client?

Desktop player. Also, I have an nVidia dedicated graphics driver, an i7 processor, and 16 GB or RAM. I don't think it's my machine unless there is some obscure setting that needs to be switched somewhere. I have tried the "graphics accelerator" option in preferences and it doesn't seem to affect performance.

Also, my C drive is an HDD, so it should start up lightning fast like my other software, but it doesn't.

Suggested posts