Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Solved!

Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Hi,

I'll et straight to the point.

I'm quite annoyed as I have had to make 3 spotify accounts already because of this problem. Spotify seems to think that I'm Sweden when in reality I'm actually in Australia. Twice now I have not been able to listen to music because spotify blocks the use of music when I'm in the wrong country, obviously it thinks I'm in from Sweden but in Australia but the strange thing is that when I go to my account preferences to change my country to Asutralia because it automatically sets me as in Sweden it won't let me. Apparently I have a Swedish IP when I live in Australia...

This is becoming extremely annoying as I now have 3 accounts and only 1 works, however it still thinks I'm in sweden.

Regards, Marcus

212 Replies
Marked as solution

@barbastrella

If that's the case, it's better to delete your payment info before changing countries. You will still be Premium until the remaining days of your subscription are used up.

What I'm suggesting you to do is this:

1. Go to your Subscription and payment overview --> http://spotify.com/account/subscription/

2. Click UPDATE DETAILS. If it shows below 'Would you like to cancel your subscription?' click there and cancel.

3. Check the box to 'Remove', and click 'Change' button,

Note: If you have your Premium active you won't be able to remove your payment info. That's why it's important to cancel before clicking UPDATE DETAILS.

After you've removed your payment info, change your country in profile, and resubscribe to Premium with your German card info to ensure that your offline music won't be deleted and that your subscription will renew correctly when it's time.
osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@osornios

Many thanks for you trying to help. I am not sure if I was able to follow
correctly.
- I stopped my subscription
- found no option to delete the current credit card info
- changed the country to germany
- entered my german credit card details as a new card (this time spotifiy
did not complain about the card belonging to the wrong country)
- still there is Country setting to ES on this page:
https://www.spotify.com/de/account/overview/
- the country in https://www.spotify.com/de/account/profile/ is correct
- I got a notice that information will be updated to the next billing date

Was this the best I could achieve this way?
Will the country really be changed after the next billing date?

Thank you for your support!

@barbastrella

Everything looks good. I don't know why the ES didn't update, but hopefully it will eventually.

The important thing will be for you to have a successful renewal once your renewal date comes, which it should.

If it doesn't, let me know. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

It did work out :D. Many Thanks!

I live in Ireland. My IP says I am based in Ireland. My spotify account only gives the option of GB as my country.

Help Please

Hello. I have troubles to log in because of the wrong country as well. I tried to edit my profile, but despite I am saving it everytime as Slovakia it keeps saying I am from Czech Republic. I log in trough facebook account. Could you help me, please? 

Hey @Alexandra12120 @Klaudia52,

If you opened your account with Facebook, your country is tied to the country shown in your Facebook account, so you may need to change it there.

Also, your payment method (if you used one for Premium) must match your country too, so you may need to delete it to update countries.
osorniosSpotify Star

@osornios

Thank you for you response.

However, I have a free account, so the premium thing does not apply to me. And I have the same country (Slovakia) saved in spotify and facebook profile as well. I don´t really know what more to do about it. 😞

Marked as solution

@Klaudia52

You should fill out the contact form, and someone from Spotify will be happy to help set your country for you within 24 hrs. Don't forget to check your spam folder for responses as they may end up there.

If you get an automated email directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to support@spotify.com and one of the customer services agents will get back to you.

osorniosSpotify Star

I wrote an email to them as you told me. They replied that they only check my settings and I had it correct so they aksed me if I did not travel or something. However when I tried to log in today, IT WORKED! I don´t know what they did. Thank you so much for your help! You are great! 🙂

You're welcome. Glad I was able to help. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

Hi,

I have sent multiple questions trough email and altough the message says all questions get answered it doesn't seem like mine gets answered. I'll try here.

I myself have a Dutch premium spotify account using it between Spain and Netherlands. Now in Spain, I bought an online gift card trough the Spanish website, paying with my Dutch card. My friend had received the whole email and card in Dutch and is unable to use it here in Spain while I got the receipt of payment etc in Spanish. My friend, everytime when trying to activate the code, gets a mesasge 'wrong country'.

I just want my friend to get to use Spotify however it seems Spotify is making it impossible for paying member to actually use their services.

IMG-20160927-WA0008.png
Schermafbeelding 2016-09-27 om 16.08.49.png

Hey @lekkerkoekje070

Since you used a Dutch payment method, it means your giftcard must be used by a dutch account, not an spanish one.

One option would be for your friend to change his country to Netherlands in his account so he can use the code, but that would prevent him from changing it back to Spain for the remaining of the subscription.

The other option would be for you to fill out the contact form, and someone from Spotify will be happy to help you within 24 hrs, probably by giving you a new code that actually works in Spain. I like this option better.

If you get an automated email directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to support@spotify.com and one of the customer services agents will get back to you. Don't forget to check your spam folder for responses as they may end up there.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, you can tweet @SpotifyCares.

osorniosSpotify Star

Hey Peter, my proble is different and I have no idea where to adress that. I just bought spotify premium family and invited my husband. We are in the same room, use the dame internet/ mobile provider and both websites show spotify germany. But the family link I sent to my husband says 'not accepted, you are not in the same country', which is clearly wrong. What can I do? Is cancelling the only option? To be honest, the fact there is no direct customer feedback for problems like that possible makes me really want to change to some other music service, it is a frustrating experience. 

Hey @needhelp2016,

If your country codes appear different in your profiles, for example, one of them in uppercase and the other in lowercase, the system treats them as different countries.

This is due to the fact that Facebook created accounts take the country information from the Facebook profile.

Send by yourself the link generated through INVITE MEMBER BY LINK, instead of letting the system send the mail.

Let him accept the invite logged in with their own username, and you'll be set. Each will be able to listen to music at the same time, and will have separate libraries, playlists and friends.

Hope it helps. 🙂
osorniosSpotify Star

I used my spotify while I was in Denmark and still it thinks Im in Denmark. When I go to my account to change my country only denmark appears in the country list and it doesnt let me do anything. I can't listen to any music and I don't want to creat another user name. please help me

Hey @user-removed,

Most of those problems come from a difference between the country shown by the IP address, and the one in your profile.

First, check your IP address here.

After that, compare it to the country shown in your profile.

If you opened your account with Facebook, your country is tied to the country shown in your Facebook account, so you may need to change it there.

Finally, your payment method (if you used one for Premium) must match your country too, so you may need to delete it to update countries.

Change your country setting so it matches what your IP address shows.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

I have a very similiar problem. I am using a family account. i live in the uk but it thinks i am in france and i cant change the country. please help.

Hi,

In my account the wrong country is registered. I live in the Netherlands, but my account states UK. Probably because the laptop (company owned) I use has a UK IP address. I cannot change my account from my tablet or phone, because ' you can only useSpotify abroad for 14 days'. Catch 22 situation. How to change this?

Thanks,

JW

Hey @jwwijnen,

Try changing your country setting in your profile page using your phone or tablet browser.

Make sure your IP address shows the Netherlands before doing so. You can check it here.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

Suggested posts