Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Solved!

Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Hi,

I'll et straight to the point.

I'm quite annoyed as I have had to make 3 spotify accounts already because of this problem. Spotify seems to think that I'm Sweden when in reality I'm actually in Australia. Twice now I have not been able to listen to music because spotify blocks the use of music when I'm in the wrong country, obviously it thinks I'm in from Sweden but in Australia but the strange thing is that when I go to my account preferences to change my country to Asutralia because it automatically sets me as in Sweden it won't let me. Apparently I have a Swedish IP when I live in Australia...

This is becoming extremely annoying as I now have 3 accounts and only 1 works, however it still thinks I'm in sweden.

Regards, Marcus

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

There is an easy way to tell luckily, when you log into your online overview where you can see your premium account is active, what is your username displayed as on that page? 

If that username is the one you are logging in using, let me know and I will get a member of the Spotify team to dig into this a little further for you!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

You should never get the country error message if you have an active premium subscription.

Are you definitely logging in using your Spotify username and password not your email address?

If you are having issues still, get in touch with support using this form and they will be able to assist you 😉 

Peter

Peter

Marked as solution

@barbastrella

If that's the case, it's better to delete your payment info before changing countries. You will still be Premium until the remaining days of your subscription are used up.

What I'm suggesting you to do is this:

1. Go to your Subscription and payment overview --> http://spotify.com/account/subscription/

2. Click UPDATE DETAILS. If it shows below 'Would you like to cancel your subscription?' click there and cancel.

3. Check the box to 'Remove', and click 'Change' button,

Note: If you have your Premium active you won't be able to remove your payment info. That's why it's important to cancel before clicking UPDATE DETAILS.

After you've removed your payment info, change your country in profile, and resubscribe to Premium with your German card info to ensure that your offline music won't be deleted and that your subscription will renew correctly when it's time.
osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Marked as solution

@Klaudia52

You should fill out the contact form, and someone from Spotify will be happy to help set your country for you within 24 hrs. Don't forget to check your spam folder for responses as they may end up there.

If you get an automated email directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to support@spotify.com and one of the customer services agents will get back to you.

osorniosSpotify Star

Marked as solution

Hey @Franzi98

In this case, it's better to delete your payment info before changing countries. What I'm suggesting you to do is this:

1. Go to your Subscription page.

2. Click UPDATE under Payment Info. If it shows below 'Would you like to cancel your subscription?' click there and cancel.

3. Check the box to 'Remove', and click 'Change' button,

Note: If you have your Premium active you won't be able to remove your payment info. That's why it's important to cancel before removing your payment info.

After you've removed your payment info, change your country in profile, and then resubscribe to Premium with the new card info.

Your payment card country must match your country in profile, and the country of your IP address.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

212 Replies

Hey Marcus, I've just changed the account of yours connected to your Community profile's email address over to Australia. Note: you might notice some tracks in your playlists become unavailable with the country change but there'll also be some Australia-specific stuff you can now listen to.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Thanks for that

I have had the exact same issue. Need this solved or I won't be able to use Spotify anymore

@LilyHannah wrote:

I have had the exact same issue. Need this solved or I won't be able to use Spotify anymore

Hey @LilyHannah 🙂

Normally as long as you are currently located in the country you wish to change your account to, and that country is supported by Spotify you can make the change yourself from your online profile

Does that not work for you? 

Peter

Peter

I'm having the same issue a number of other people. I'm subscribed to spotify premium in the UK, and am accessing my account from a UK IP address, but when I try to log into my account it's telling me that I have to change my country settings, even though it's a UK account. What's the solution?

@cockneyprick wrote:

I'm having the same issue a number of other people. I'm subscribed to spotify premium in the UK, and am accessing my account from a UK IP address, but when I try to log into my account it's telling me that I have to change my country settings, even though it's a UK account. What's the solution?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

You won't get any country related errors if you are signing into a valid Spotify Premium account.

Is your account showing as premium on your online overview and your country is set correctly in your online profile

Peter

Peter

Hey Peter, 

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, my account overview is saying that I have an acive spotify premium subscription and the country is set as the UK.

Strange, what is the exact error message you are getting when you login? 

Peter

Peter

It says:

Login Failed

Your country does not match the one set in your profile. To continue to use, update your profile or upgrade your spotify account for unlimited travel. If you need more help, please see our help pages.

Double strange, you are definitely logging in using the correct details? 

Its amazingly easy to have two accounts, one with a Spotify username (not email address) and password and another using your Facebook email address and password. 

What device is this happening on? Also have you recently subscribed or subscription renewed? 

Peter

Peter

It's happening on a sony vaio, windows7 laptop. I've had account for a while now, first in sweden, then most recently in Ireland, but I'm now in the UK. My account was recently cancelled, but I reactivated it a few days ago and I updated my payment details and country of use. It could be possible that I have more than one account, though I don't believe so, and I never log in using fb.

Marked as solution

There is an easy way to tell luckily, when you log into your online overview where you can see your premium account is active, what is your username displayed as on that page? 

If that username is the one you are logging in using, let me know and I will get a member of the Spotify team to dig into this a little further for you!

Peter

Peter

You were indeed correct, my username was different to the one that I had been using to log in, but I have used the correct one and now it's working! Thank you so much for your help!

No worries my friend, anytime! 🙂 

Peter

Peter

Hey! I read your discussion above and I have the same situation.

I created my account in Finland last year, then this summer I spent one month abroad and when I came back my account stoped working. In my profile it says that I am in Finland (correct), however when I try to log in it gives me the error message that the country does not match the one in my profile.

I verified my location with the credit card, I even bought a premium subcription and re-installed Spotify but nothing works. I am getting super angry and I'd like to contact some of the Spotify staff people.

Btw I am using Samsung Ultrabook with Windows 8. And I never loged in with FB or any other platform.

Thank you.

Marked as solution

You should never get the country error message if you have an active premium subscription.

Are you definitely logging in using your Spotify username and password not your email address?

If you are having issues still, get in touch with support using this form and they will be able to assist you 😉 

Peter

Peter

haha I don't know if it was you or someone else, but suddenly my username changed back to the old one in my Profile page 😉 before it was some random numerical username and I tried to connect with all possible combinations.

aaah so good to have my music back, thanks a lot! 🙂

@user-removed - It wasn't me but who cares as long as its working! 🙂 

Peter

Peter

The Spotify App says that im in the wrong country and wont connect and goes into offline mode 😞 when I click to update my country it has United States and is greyed out so I cant change it to New Zealand. how do I fix this? because at the moment I cant use it at all 😞 

Suggested posts