Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Solved!

Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Hi,

I'll et straight to the point.

I'm quite annoyed as I have had to make 3 spotify accounts already because of this problem. Spotify seems to think that I'm Sweden when in reality I'm actually in Australia. Twice now I have not been able to listen to music because spotify blocks the use of music when I'm in the wrong country, obviously it thinks I'm in from Sweden but in Australia but the strange thing is that when I go to my account preferences to change my country to Asutralia because it automatically sets me as in Sweden it won't let me. Apparently I have a Swedish IP when I live in Australia...

This is becoming extremely annoying as I now have 3 accounts and only 1 works, however it still thinks I'm in sweden.

Regards, Marcus

212 Replies

@scottyboynz wrote:

The Spotify App says that im in the wrong country and wont connect and goes into offline mode 😞 when I click to update my country it has United States and is greyed out so I cant change it to New Zealand. how do I fix this? because at the moment I cant use it at all 😞 

Seen a few reports of this lately, not sure what is going on!

If you drop support an email here they can get it changed over manually for you. If you get an automated email reply pointing you to the community, reply directly to that email and your case will reach an advisor. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hey peter,

i do have the same problem of country related error.

I have a Free account on spotify.

On my online overview my username is the same what i use, to login for my desktop client of spotify. The country is also being shown as USA.

However, in Subscription Status it says, Your account can no longer be used from abroad, since the maximum travel time is 14 days for a Spotify Free account. To continue using Spotify from abroad, sign up for Spotify Premium which gives you unlimited travel access.

Why its telling this ?

Is your IP address locating to the USA @demonduskk? http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Peter

Peter

Hey,

Peter i read earlier posts on the forum & yes my ip address is not locating to USA, but i dont get it how was i able to access it for the first time then? !

(& just to let you know i use SmartyDNS service..)

So what we can do now ?

@user-removed wrote:

Hey,

Peter i read earlier posts on the forum & yes my ip address is not locating to USA, but i dont get it how was i able to access it for the first time then? !

(& just to let you know i use SmartyDNS service..)

So what we can do now ?

Not sure, why you could access it before. What country does your IP address locate to? 

Peter

Peter

Not sure, why you could access it before. What country does your IP address locate to? 

Peter

Its India. The SmartyDNS support team has told me to reinstall the spotify desktop app...

I'll give it a try, and keep you posted.

Regards,

demon !

Even reinstalling the desktop app was in vain..

I should atleast get an option to change the country, if its saying the country does not match !

what is the problem with this thing ! ?

@user-removed wrote:

Even reinstalling the desktop app was in vain..

I should atleast get an option to change the country, if its saying the country does not match !

what is the problem with this thing ! ?

You can't change the country since it will only allow you to change to the country your IP address locates to (unless you are willing to enter some payment details) - but Spotify is not available in India where the system thinks you are. 

I am not familiar with how it works, but does using your standard DNS rather than SmartyDNS make any difference to your IP address? 

Peter

Peter

You can't change the country since it will only allow you to change to the country your IP address locates to (unless you are willing to enter some payment details) - but Spotify is not available in India where the system thinks you are. 

I am not familiar with how it works, but does using your standard DNS rather than SmartyDNS make any difference to your IP address? 

Peter

Hi peter,

One thing i dont get it,  i am not able to change the country in my Spotify Account from USA to any other country(which is weird since if Spotify geo-locates my IP it should have changed to India from USA !),

so is it not changing from USA to India because we dont have Spotify in India, OR,

it detects that i can access Spotify via my SmartyDNS but at the same time, my IP address doesn't agree to that ?

I had asked the same Q to the SmartyDNS technical team that - "since i understand it does not hide my ip but just changes the DNS. So how does it access spotify? "

The reply was - "Yes, we don't change your IP, we unblock Spotify through DNS addresses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm simultaneously in touch with the SmartyDNS Support Team on this & keeping them updated about my findings from this forum(& vice versa). After reinstalling they had asked me, whether i tried to open up the app from Spotify Online Player instead of my desktop app? but the same conuntry mismatch message continues.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets see, whats next ...phew....

Spotify won't let you change your country to India, since Spotify is not available there and you can only change your country on your profile to countries where Spotify is available and whilst you are in that country. 

You can however, change your country without an IP address check by entering your payment details (but not actually subscribing) on this page. Alternatively, if you get in touch with Spotify support via email here they might be able to work some behind the scenes magic for you. 

Peter

Peter

& can you please tell me how to enter my payment details but not actually subscribing? !

I'll be charged after 30 trial days if i enter my payment details, isint it ? & unless i dont enter my payment details, how can i subscribe ?

Sorry, for asking these questions as im unawre how to go for it... 

In order to activate the 30 day Premium trial, it is necessary to enter your payment information. However, you can cancel the renewal at any time on your the subscription section of your account page to ensure you aren't charged after your trial runs out.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For Twitter support, find us at @SpotifyCares.

Follow me on Spotify.

Hi there,

I'm having a problem that it would appear that many users do. When I open Spotify, I get the following message: "Your country does not match the one set in your profile. To continue use, update your profile or update your Spotify account for unlimited travel." At first, I got the message because my subscription ran out when I stopped using the French bank account I opened it with. But then I updated my payment information using an American credit card (I'm American, and no longer live in France), updated my country to "USA," and then reupdated when the Help page kept reading me as being in Sweden. But I still get the message...

I have US payment information, "USA" marked as my country, and a Premium subscription (and the last thing should make country issues irrelevant). Can someone please point me to a fix? All I can find here are people who appear to work for Spotify saying that they'll expedite or solve this issue for people posting.

BTW, I tried reinstalling Spotify and linking through Facebook (when the Spotify help page continually rejected my password, which was the right one...), and neither thing helped.

Rather maddening.

Hi @Sisko This shouldn't be happening if your account overview shows an active premium subscription. Maybe, just check in case you have logged in using the wrong credentials and, if it looks ok, use the online contact form and someone at Spotify will help get this fixed. If you get an automated reply directing you back to the community or to the help pages, make sure to reply to it directly (even though it says not to) to speed things along.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for responding to me. The problem is happening despite the fact that I have an active Premium subscription. I've filled out a contact form and am getting some help, but the problem has not yet been solved. I believe that changing my payment information somehow created a new account and that Spotify doesn't recognize me when I open its software, but I can't fix this on my own.

Sisko

Hi!
I'm having a similar issue here.
Recently Spotify arrived at Argentina, so I created an account, which worked successfully until two weeks ago, when suddenly and without apparent cause, it changed my country from Argentina to USA. I checked and verified that I'm not using a proxy, I'm connected through Telefonica Argentina.
I tried to change mi country back to Argentina through my web profile, but a red message that says "INVALID" appears.
I tried creating a new account at spotify.com/ar, again (as before) and automatically appeared USA in the country line.
Any solution will be really, really appreciated!
Thank you !
Omar

@coronelcortez - Does http://whatismyipaddress.com/ correctly locate to Argentina? 

Peter

Peter

yeahp!
"

ISP: Telefonica de Argentina
Organization: Telefonica de Argentina
Services: None Detected
City: Neuquen
Region: Neuquen

@coronelcortez2 @coronelcortez - Just noticed you have posted with two seperate Spotify accounts here, just to make you aware that you do now have two accounts it seems 😉 

That is very strange, would it be possible to get a screenshot of that invalid error message when you try to change your country? If its an issue I can get that reported to the Spotify team too.

In the mean time, since I know this must be super annoying for you, if you could drop support an email here they can get that changed over manually for you. f you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Peter

Thank you Peter!
Here are the screenshots.

First my profile overview:
http://imageshack.us/a/img42/3914/xx1j.png

then when I try to change my country.
http://imageshack.us/a/img534/2921/ra95.png

About this two accounts (coronelcortez and coronelcortez2) a dont now what happend, i tried to reply with coronelcortez but it said it was already in use (by me I suppose? O_o)
Now when I login with spotify account coronelcortez, and enter the community, it automatically logs in with coronelcortez2.

I will be sending that email in the next few hours, thank youvery much!
Omar

Suggested posts