Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Solved!

Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Hi,

I'll et straight to the point.

I'm quite annoyed as I have had to make 3 spotify accounts already because of this problem. Spotify seems to think that I'm Sweden when in reality I'm actually in Australia. Twice now I have not been able to listen to music because spotify blocks the use of music when I'm in the wrong country, obviously it thinks I'm in from Sweden but in Australia but the strange thing is that when I go to my account preferences to change my country to Asutralia because it automatically sets me as in Sweden it won't let me. Apparently I have a Swedish IP when I live in Australia...

This is becoming extremely annoying as I now have 3 accounts and only 1 works, however it still thinks I'm in sweden.

Regards, Marcus

212 Replies

HI , I am having the same issue! First installed Spotify on my work computer where IP is Bulgaria, although I live in Portugal - now it won't work until I change the country but on my account profile the system do not allow me to change the country from Bulgaria to Portugal - can somebody from the costumer service desk do this for me?

The other solution is delete my account (linked with my facebook and therefore my gmail) so that I can uninstall spotify from this computer and have it installed primarily on the ipad (where I really need it).

This all started because spotify stopped working as I was out of my country for more than 14 days - not me just the Bulgarian proxy server.

Please helllppppp 😞

Many thanks,

Rita

Hi Rita. No worries, our team will help. Please send them an email and if you don't get reply within 24 hours just let us know your case reference number: https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/?contact

Check out how we're doing: @SpotifyStatus

Did this help? Please click 'Accept as Solution'.

Hey  I have the same problem... Im deployed and i became premium when i was stationed in Germany, now it wont let me pay for it since Im not in Germany anymore.

Hi. If you have a premium subscription, you can listen to spotify whichever country you are in. If you are paying with a German debit/credit card then you just continue with your German subscription. If you now want to change your payment method to the country you are in now, you can do that too on this page and change the country at the same time.

I'm having the same trouble, but mine is a little bit different.

I used to use this account from the UK. Now I'm in Brazil, and they just sent an email saying Spotify just became available here to a few people (me included).

When I tried to link this account to the invite they sent to my email, it said I was already registered (from the UK) and it won't recognize my IP so I can change it to Brazil.

Caio

Hi @neepz . I would guess that changing your country to Brazil won't be possible until a more general launch. You could create a new account using a different email address or, probably better, get in touch with the support team and they should be able to help.

If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, make sure to reply to it directly to speed things along.

I am having the same problem. I am using my logitech squeezebox device and thats the only device which keeps thinking that i am in sweden. When i use it on my laptop/android. I  dont have this problem. Please help. also, i can't access my playlists. 

@spotlmnop Are you saying that the squeezebox gives a country error and won't play? If so. have you tried doing a factory reset?

@jwylot wrote:

@spotlmnop Are you saying that the squeezebox gives a country error and won't play? If so. have you tried doing a factory reset?

I just tried doing a factory reset. I removed the service, did a factory reset, added service and account details back. I still have the same problem. As a matter of fact, i completely removed ue smart radio and installed "free your music" old version of the software. It still has the same problem. So, it is definitely to do something with the account.

Just seems odd that you only get this on the squeezebox. 

Please use the online contact form and someone at Spotify can help get this sorted. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, please reply to it to speed things along.

Im getting an error that my country does not match and now cant log in can someone help please.

Im just back travelling from the US so this might be the issue

Cheers

If you are in a country where spotify is available, you should be able to change your country following these instructions. Shout if that doesn't work.

the problem is it wont save. it keeps referring back to the choose option

My actual profile is set to the right country though

Do you have a US payment method recorded here? If so, remove it, log out and back in then you should be able to change your country in the account profile. (I'm assuming you don't have a current subscription).

Im not a premium member and im in Ireland

Does your IP address locate to Ireland?
http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks Peter that worked perfect 🙂

It's saying to me that I appair to be trying to login in from a different country, but I've been I different countries before and it was working, was in nz and England france and italy, all worked fine. Now in greece it's giving me this........ help please

Is your country set correctly on your profile?
https://www.spotify.com/account/profile/

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hello! I'm having this problem as well, however I have no clue how to fix it.

I live pretty much right on the border of New York and Canada, and while the Spotify website correctly identifies me as living in the USA, the actual Spotify program tells me that I'm in the wrong country! After reading through and and looking up my IP, it appears that my company gave me a Canadian IP address instead of an American one! I called my ISP and tried to get them to change my IP address for me, but they've refused. Is there any way around this by some miracle?

Suggested posts