Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Solved!

Spotify Thinks I'm in the Wrong Country

Hi,

I'll et straight to the point.

I'm quite annoyed as I have had to make 3 spotify accounts already because of this problem. Spotify seems to think that I'm Sweden when in reality I'm actually in Australia. Twice now I have not been able to listen to music because spotify blocks the use of music when I'm in the wrong country, obviously it thinks I'm in from Sweden but in Australia but the strange thing is that when I go to my account preferences to change my country to Asutralia because it automatically sets me as in Sweden it won't let me. Apparently I have a Swedish IP when I live in Australia...

This is becoming extremely annoying as I now have 3 accounts and only 1 works, however it still thinks I'm in sweden.

Regards, Marcus

212 Replies

Only things I can suggest:
- Use a proxy or VPN so your IP address is inside the US.
- Subscribe to Spotify Premium (or Unlimited), then you get unlimited abroad time and the IP address restrictions don't apply.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have a problem that spotify thinks I am in a different country and won't let me login but the thing is that I am still in the same country.

Please help me 

@siddharthjoshi - What country is set on your online profile and which country are you in?
https://www.spotify.com/account/profile/

Does your IP address locate to the correct country?
http://www.maxmind.com/en/locate_my_ip

Peter

Same issue, im in Sweden, my profile is set to Sweden and I still cant connect. Ive tried logging in via facebook and normal account, neither works.

ANd this is my IP

Proxy:
No Proxy Detected
City:
Kista
State/Region:
Stockholms Lan

Same problem here, I used to live in the Netherlands, but moved to Aruba 2 years ago. I cannot choose Aruba in my account settings. Please solve this issue, I'd like to listen to my music again.

@ariassh @MarkoZ - If you guys could get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form they can investigate this in a little more detail for you. Spotify should work for both of you with your current settings so something isn't quite right! 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I used the online form a few days ago, but no reaction as of yet.....

@MarkoZ - Did you reply directly to the automated email?

Peter

I did the same thing, I answered the no-reply email i got but no customer support has come back to me. I wrote this

"The automated help isnt helping, they told me in the forum to reply to this so im replying :P". Didnt really know what to write : P

Anyway, no answer from anyone yet.

Would have thought someone would have answered by now. Could you let us know your 8-digit case number #?

We can ask someone to check it out for you.

Peter

Hi Peter,

this is mine:  

Spotify Case # 01520524

I have the same problem. I've sent emails and have posted on other boards related to this topic. I am in Honduras and have remained here since I created my profile and it says I've been (and am) in the US and can't change it back to Honduras. I would appreciate your help.

# 01517498

Will get those cases chased up for you now guys.

@sofi_1786 - If you haven't already done so could you open a support case here and let us know the case number?
https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

Peter

Thanks guy, you'll hear from us shortly.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

My case number is # 01528392. Thanks.

I have a similar problem. I live in sweden and my IP says I am in Sweden, but still Spotify says that I am abroad.

I created this account in Sweden and have never used spotify elsewhere.

This is what it says:

Subscription status

Your account can no longer be used from abroad, since the maximum travel time is 14 days for a Spotify Free account. To continue using Spotify from abroad, sign up for Spotify Premiumwhich gives you unlimited travel access.

@user-removed Please use the online contact form and someone at Spotify can help get this sorted. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, please reply to it to speed things along.

Hi Richard and Peter,

No news as yet.... 😉

Greetings,

Marko

Think the support guys might be little behind, seeing a few open cases still open from last week. Give them another day and give us a shout if still nothing - we can escalate it further for you.

Peter

Suggested posts